Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
john ridley

Premiership years

I watched 96/97 earlier...no mention of us winning the league cup (yet the winner of the trophy is mentioned in most shows) and I'm not sure they showed one match where we won. The only highlights they showed of us were us conceding to one of the title challengers.

And half the show is taken up with pointless montages about Man U or Arsenal.

The worst thing is i was only 10 back then. Growing up in pretty much all Man united supporting area i thought we were crap!

Only now can i look back and see how good we were then!

I used to get plenty of stick at school about us during those days.

Thankfully I don't see those people now, they'd have a field day, especially when we were in Division Two.

There's no reason why we can't emulate what Stoke have done. To say we won't get into the Premier League and stay there for five years in anyone's lifetime isn't just pessimism, it's attention seeking idiocy.

There's no reason why we can't emulate what Stoke have done. To say we won't get into the Premier League and stay there for five years in anyone's lifetime isn't just pessimism, it's attention seeking idiocy.

I didn't say "in anyone's lifetime".  I said "in OUR lifetime".

I didn't say "in anyone's lifetime".  I said "in OUR lifetime".

I'm 28.

Many on here are younger.

If you're really stating that we won't experience promotion to the Premier League and remain there for a significant period of time in the next 50 years; you're either ignorant of our history, a scenario which seems unlikely, or spouting sensationalist claptrap for the sake of it.

Leicester City v Aldershot, 25 September 1963 Starting lineup:

Goalkeeper Gordon Banks

DefenderJohn Sjoberg

Central defenderGraham Cross

Defender/MidfielderFrank McLintock

Left backRichie Norman

Centre halfIan King

Wing halfBilly McDerment

Outside LeftBob Newton

Outside rightHoward Riley

Centre Forward/Wing halfKen Keyworth

Inside forwardDavie Gibson

This was the first game I went to although it was in the League Cup this was a side that could live with anyone.

Martin's side was the next best (probably just shading Jimmy the most attractive) but I think Martin's side would have given the Tigers a good game. 

Myself and mi mates.. All early to mid 40's and big fans during the Little, MON era genuinely believe that those times, especially MON's achievements will possibly never be emulated.

Still being at Filbert St, not having big money and finishing in the top 7? (I think) for seasons was an incredible feat.

We all agree that actually it's this simple: we used to go into most games, home and away, believing that we had a bloody good chance of getting a result...whether that be Liverpool away or Arsenal at home.

These days I can't hand on heart say that's true in the CHAMPIONSHIP.. Eg when we went away to Barnsley a few weeks before the end of last season as soon as I heard the team sheet, I knew we'd get turned over.

That, for me, is the difference... And I can't really put it any better than that.

Myself and mi mates.. All early to mid 40's and big fans during the Little, MON era genuinely believe that those times, especially MON's achievements will possibly never be emulated.

Still being at Filbert St, not having big money and finishing in the top 7? (I think) for seasons was an incredible feat.

We all agree that actually it's this simple: we used to go into most games, home and away, believing that we had a bloody good chance of getting a result...whether that be Liverpool away or Arsenal at home.

These days I can't hand on heart say that's true in the CHAMPIONSHIP.. Eg when we went away to Barnsley a few weeks before the end of last season as soon as I heard the team sheet, I knew we'd get turned over.

That, for me, is the difference...

Given all that you have said above Col, it seems strange that you are therefore so easily persuaded to keep the manager responsible for the "difference". Why do you think that giving Pearson another year will alter this? He's been a manager long enough, surely. In my opinion he has most probably taken us as far as his abilities allow. Just curious to know mate!  

Given all that you have said above Col, it seems strange that you are therefore so easily persuaded to keep the manager responsible for the "difference". Why do you think that giving Pearson another year will alter this? He's been a manager long enough, surely. In my opinion he has most probably taken us as far as his abilities allow. Just curious to know mate!

No problem mate.

To be fair I always said I'd give him 2 full seasons.. I think to have a real impact that's only fair.

In addition, I'm not sure another change is gonna be what we need just now.

Finally, replace him with who? I don't particularly want any of those mentioned as possible incumbents really.

I'm 28.

Many on here are younger.

If you're really stating that we won't experience promotion to the Premier League and remain there for a significant period of time in the next 50 years; you're either ignorant of our history, a scenario which seems unlikely, or spouting sensationalist claptrap for the sake of it.

and if you've been supporting as long as i have you'll realize that  the MON era was a blip on the radar compared with all  the years in the second tier. with little and mickeh we came straight back down.

since bloomfield we've spent more time in the second tier than the first.

the financial situation now is vastly different to what it was then, the gap  between the top two divisions is astronomical. i think as the years go by, and this gap in finances gets bigger, and with the ffp really strangling the invesment in smaller clubs, there's a good chance we won't see promotion for a long time.

i  think  we have more chance of going into admin than  being promoted.

that being said miracles can happen, sometimes a team just  gels, and you punch above your weight.

and if you've been supporting as long as i have you'll realize that  the MON era was a blip on the radar compared with all  the years in the second tier. with little and mickeh we came straight back down.

since bloomfield we've spent more time in the second tier than the first.

the financial situation now is vastly different to what it was then, the gap  between the top two divisions is astronomical. i think as the years go by, and this gap in finances gets bigger, and with the ffp really strangling the invesment in smaller clubs, there's a good chance we won't see promotion for a long time.

i  think  we have more chance of going into admin than  being promoted.

that being said miracles can happen, sometimes a team just  gels, and you punch above your weight.

Well we spent the majority of the 60s and 70s in the top Division, spent 4 years in a row in there in the 80s (which is the same amount of Premiership seasons we had with MON.) So it wasn't that out of the ordinary. I could easily say it was 2 blips - the Pleat era and the last 10 years (which have statistically been the worst in our history) that have skewed the impression of our club.

It is getting more difficult now I agree, but the harder part seems to be getting promoted, especially with all the parachute payments that the relegated sides have.

Look at all the clubs who are going up and doing well; Swansea (who were promoted only 2 seasons ago and yet are on track to almost emulate us under O'Neill), Stoke (Next season will be their 6th), Fulham (small club but have been there ages now), Wigan (7 years and an FA Cup win and they are tiny with a small budget), even Southampton (Stayed up quite comfortably in the end) and Norwich have done well enough and could well stay there for a few more seasons. Maybe the gap isn't as astronomical as you're making out, I'd suggest if you've got a manager who's good enough, a club like us could certainly do it.

It's easy just to look at QPR and Reading and say it's really difficult to stay up but there are other clubs smaller than us who are making it happen. Looking at those examples, there really isn't an argument to say we won't stay up for 6 years in a row in the next 50. I'd say it's quite likely we will.

Well we spent the majority of the 60s and 70s in the top Division, spent 4 years in a row in there in the 80s (which is the same amount of Premiership seasons we had with MON.) So it wasn't that out of the ordinary. I could easily say it was 2 blips - the Pleat era and the last 10 years (which have statistically been the worst in our history) that have skewed the impression of our club.

It is getting more difficult now I agree, but the harder part seems to be getting promoted, especially with all the parachute payments that the relegated sides have.

Look at all the clubs who are going up and doing well; Swansea (who were promoted only 2 seasons ago and yet are on track to almost emulate us under O'Neill), Stoke (Next season will be their 6th), Fulham (small club but have been there ages now), Wigan (7 years and an FA Cup win and they are tiny with a small budget), even Southampton (Stayed up quite comfortably in the end) and Norwich have done well enough and could well stay there for a few more seasons. Maybe the gap isn't as astronomical as you're making out, I'd suggest if you've got a manager who's good enough, a club like us could certainly do it.

It's easy just to look at QPR and Reading and say it's really difficult to stay up but there are other clubs smaller than us who are making it happen. Looking at those examples, there really isn't an argument to say we won't stay up for 6 years in a row in the next 50. I'd say it's quite likely we will.

wigan just got relegated in case you weren't paying attention. any of the 'small' clubs you mention would play us off the park if we played them tomorrow. i admire your optimism, but really with our current situation, huge debt, big losses, owners who can't spend due to the ffp, the reality says it's unlikely.

No problem mate.

To be fair I always said I'd give him 2 full seasons.. I think to have a real impact that's only fair.

In addition, I'm not sure another change is gonna be what we need just now.

Finally, replace him with who? I don't particularly want any of those mentioned as possible incumbents really.

You usually can find plenty of good managers in work, I don't understand the obsession of the list of out of work managers.

Those season's mentioned by the poster, was just when I was getting into Leicester, 2000 is more of my era though.

The good old days of Pegguy Arphexad's penalty saves, and a whole midfield who were actually decent in Savage, Parker, Guppy, Izzet and Lennon. 

wigan just got relegated in case you weren't paying attention. any of the 'small' clubs you mention would play us off the park if we played them tomorrow. i admire your optimism, but really with our current situation, huge debt, big losses, owners who can't spend due to the ffp, the reality says it's unlikely.

It doesn't matter that they were relegated this season, what does matter is they've stayed up for 7 seasons.

Yes most of them would play us off the park if we played them tomorrow, but we're not playing them tomorrow, I'm talking about if we played them after being promoted, making some quality additions and the such like. We played Southampton off the park at St Marys last season now they're in the Premiership again next season.

It's not about optimism, I don't think we'll steamroll the league next season, I'm saying that long term, we are capable of going up and staying up. Regardless of how bleak things look in the short term.

Archived