Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

Don't blame the strikers!

I agree to an extent, by which I mean this is what should be happening at home. I won't be too bothered if the same tactic of three normal CM's is unleashed at Derby but I can see people flipping if we do. At home play Knockaert, Schlupp, Marshall ect but not playing conservatively enough away was one of our poor points last season.

I agree to an extent, by which I mean this is what should be happening at home. I won't be too bothered if the same tactic of three normal CM's is unleashed at Derby but I can see people flipping if we do. At home play Knockaert, Schlupp, Marshall ect but not playing conservatively enough away was one of our poor points last season.

Good points, well made :thumbup:

they do need to be willing to pull the trigger as well, from 20 yards and closer they should all be thinking shoot, they seem to want to walk the ball in, like when Nugent play that 1-2 and instead of just hitting it, all be it with his weaker foot, tried to go past everyone and that frustrates me.

If they shot more they'd also open up passing options as defenders would be looking to block shots

Top strikers require, on average, EIGHT shots before they score. EIGHT. now these can obviously range from speculative punts to one on ones but what is clear (and what is the general thrust of Col's post) is that scoring opportunities must be created. Our two wing back cannot cross with any real accuracy so that means our 3 CM will be required to play lots of forward passes, sadly this isn't something which is clicking currently.

Top strikers require, on average, EIGHT shots before they score. EIGHT. now these can obviously range from speculative punts to one on ones but what is clear (and what is the general thrust of Col's post) is that scoring opportunities must be created. Our two wing back cannot cross with any real accuracy so that means our 3 CM will be required to play lots of forward passes, sadly this isn't something which is clicking currently.

Because essentially we are putting 3 defensive midfielders in the team. We need an "Izzett" style player, the closest we have is Knocky and maybe Marshall

I'm definitely not blaming the strikers. I think Wood's had a poor start, and Vardy/Nugent were disappointing on Sunday too, but the lack of creativity is the reason.

The gameplan on Sunday was hideous. It may have just been another exercise of us getting used to 3-5-2, but if we play that midfield five regularly and continue to hoof it up to them, then we'll be one of the lowest scoring sides in the league.

All three of those forwards would benefit immensely from having Knockaert in the side. Knockaert would be the man that encourages the ball to be played forward, but to his feet. He's the missing link between midfield and attack and not playing him absolutely reeks of negativity.

Like I say, I hope it's just Pearson starting off cautiously, but if we play that same XI in that formation this season as our first eleven, then I'm convinced we won't be near promotion, I'm afraid.

Don't agree about sitting back at Derby either - what happened at Middlesbrough? Sat back, looked hopeless in the first half. Second half kicks off, we decide to attack them, on the floor, have some urgency about our game and belief in ourselves and what do you know? We win the game comfortably and we looked more like making it 1-3 than they did 2-2.

Going to Derby and fearing them would be a silly mistake. They are not a better team than us, if we go there, play without fear and attack like them we're capable of doing, we'll win the game, and comfortably.

One of the only posts I completely and utterly agree with....however, I don't think we need to sign anyone! I just think we need to push either Marshall or Knocky in to the hole behind the strikers and their creative juices will flow! I see DD, MJ, and AK as having to work too hard keeping their shape, covering for one and other, defending and just generally tidying up around the pitch to have enough time to do much creating! NP could do with working on this..

Izzet, Lennon and Savage.......we haven't got a midfielder with 10% of their spirit or ability. Look at that mix as well, tough tackling leader, clever ball player and energetic nutter running for everything and stirring things up on the pitch. They all came as a result of great scouting by MoN and his team............they are the kind of players we used to attract, none of our current midfield would have got a look in against those three and that, I guess, is our problem.

Another thought is that they were all 'OK' when we got them and MoN brought something magical out of them, same as Elliot, Taggart and even Claridge who had the best spell of his career here.

Archived