Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Meltonfossefox

Red Indian

Yes, very good. Two points:

1) you're aware that this is the internet, right? I'm reading this, and I live on what used to be called 'Apache' land (another term that's not used these days as it was given to them by white settlers - it's now known as the Tohono O'odham Nation)

2) as long as nobody that will be offended by it reads it, it's OK? A bit like looking over your shoulder to make sure no black people can hear before you tell a n*gger joke? Like I said, I'm not one of the PC brigade and I get as frustrated as anyone else by the bullshit surrounding it, but I do draw the line at racism, which is generally an issue of ignorance.

1. Yeah I am aware this is this the Internet and no I was not aware you live on what used to be called 'Apache' land

2. You shouldn't make n*gger jokes if no black people are around that is racist if you think that is OK then shame on you 

You should always check over both shoulders, otherwise you might be left red faced.

Red faced!  lol

1. Yeah I am aware this is this the Internet and no I was not aware you live on what used to be called 'Apache' land

2. You shouldn't make n*gger jokes if no black people are around that is racist if you think that is OK then shame on you 

Red faced!   lol

By jove, I think he's got it!

So, now that you're aware that jokes about Red Indians and the like are racist, I assume that you'll be refraining from using them?

By jove, I think he's got it!

So, now that you're aware that jokes about Red Indians and the like are racist, I assume that you'll be refraining from using them?

To be honest mate I don't really make Native American jokes anyway however I do feel like a proper **** now for all the times we played Cowboys and Indians in play School

2) as long as nobody that will be offended by it reads it, it's OK? A bit like looking over your shoulder to make sure no black people can hear before you tell a n*gger joke?

Yes exactly. If nobody can be offended, why the hell would I not tell a n*gger joke if it was funny? I'd be an over-sensitive tool if I didn't.

I'm beyond caring what's deemed racist in this day and age. If people want to be offended, they can be, I don't give a shit. I'm a reasonable person, and I won't use terms I consider offensive or unnacceptable for no reason. If somebody else has a different opinion, that's their problem. I'm not editing my vocabulary every week because somebody who I don't know has decided yet another word offends them.

I've never been involved in a racial confrontation and I doubt I ever will be. Besides, I don't know any red indians.

I'm surprised the Atlanta Chiefs Soccer Team have a picture of a red Indian as their logo when its considered a racist term in the States. 

Atlantachiefs79logo.png

1 or 2 of you may even remember how I know this lol

Just to clarify, I'm not on a wind up and I'm not personally offended by any of this, as I'm just a bloke from Leicester. But where I live, these words are genuinely offensive. I guess that having your country forcefully invaded, and your entire population bullied and oppressed for a couple of centuries, makes you a bit 'sensitive'. These terms were 'acceptable' in the 1950s, at the same time that words like n*gger were deemed to be a bit of 'banter'. When I arrived here eleven years ago I learnt very quickly that, coming from the other side of the world, I was completely ignorant of these facts.

The thing about racism is that you don't get to decide whether a word is offensive, it's whether they cause offense - and these words do cause offense among Native Americans. It's nothing like calling an Australian an Aussie, because that doesn't cause offense. I'm not one of the PC brigade, but neither do I get to make the rules.

I just thought you might appreciate knowing that you're being racist, but if casual racism due to ignorance doesn't bother you, go ahead, keep it up. Might as well go back to the 70s and 80s when I was a kid in Leicester, and laughing at people from India for 'smelling funny' because they were all 'curry munchers' - it's exactly the same thing. Or when Leeds fans sing "town full of P*kis" - that's just a bit of banter, right? It's not racist, they're just having a bit of a laugh, so I'm sure you'd all agree that it's absolutely fine - let's all join in next time, it's just a bit of banter! :rolleyes:

oh bugger off you miserable sod.

I live in North Carolina (but Leicester born and bred) and the only thing anyone around here would think is that there are a few people messing about having a laugh. North Carolina is of course where the Cherokee nation reservation is and I can assure you they are much more relaxed about life than you are.

Check with your local council about any jobs going writing risk assessments and stuff like that. That'd be right up your street

To be honest mate I don't really make Native American jokes anyway however I do feel like a proper **** now for all the times we played Cowboys and Indians in play School

Fyi the people I speak to who live on the Cherokee reservation prefer the term 'Indian' over 'native American'

Just to clarify, I'm not on a wind up and I'm not personally offended by any of this, as I'm just a bloke from Leicester. But where I live, these words are genuinely offensive. I guess that having your country forcefully invaded, and your entire population bullied and oppressed for a couple of centuries, makes you a bit 'sensitive'. These terms were 'acceptable' in the 1950s, at the same time that words like n*gger were deemed to be a bit of 'banter'. When I arrived here eleven years ago I learnt very quickly that, coming from the other side of the world, I was completely ignorant of these facts.

The thing about racism is that you don't get to decide whether a word is offensive, it's whether they cause offense - and these words do cause offense among Native Americans. It's nothing like calling an Australian an Aussie, because that doesn't cause offense. I'm not one of the PC brigade, but neither do I get to make the rules.

I just thought you might appreciate knowing that you're being racist, but if casual racism due to ignorance doesn't bother you, go ahead, keep it up. Might as well go back to the 70s and 80s when I was a kid in Leicester, and laughing at people from India for 'smelling funny' because they were all 'curry munchers' - it's exactly the same thing. Or when Leeds fans sing "town full of P*kis" - that's just a bit of banter, right? It's not racist, they're just having a bit of a laugh, so I'm sure you'd all agree that it's absolutely fine - let's all join in next time, it's just a bit of banter!  :rolleyes:

i'd love to know who does make up the rules .

While I could just about accept that the term Red Indian might be construed as "racist" by  very highly sensitive types, surely silly puns on names such as Geronimo, Apache , wigwam  etc wouldn't . Would it ?

is this now a racist scene?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlmQONDjwWM

i'd love to know who does make up the rules .

While I could just about accept that the term Red Indian might be construed as "racist" by very highly sensitive types, surely silly puns on names such as Geronimo, Apache , wigwam etc wouldn't . Would it ?

is this now a racist scene?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlmQONDjwWM

Either people should quit being babies about a few words or abuse in general should be banned. It does nothing but create division and segregation having words that can be used by one group and not another. I will refrain from using examples as that tends too escalate.

Who used to watch King Of The Hill and remembers this guy?

John Redcorn - has a good taste in music, descended from a once-cannibalistic tribe, manages to hide his affair with Nancy from Dale despite not really trying at all, managed to reclaim 12 acres of land from the government. I love King of the Hill

Yes exactly. If nobody can be offended, why the hell would I not tell a n*gger joke if it was funny? I'd be an over-sensitive tool if I didn't.

I'm beyond caring what's deemed racist in this day and age. If people want to be offended, they can be, I don't give a shit. I'm a reasonable person, and I won't use terms I consider offensive or unnacceptable for no reason. If somebody else has a different opinion, that's their problem. I'm not editing my vocabulary every week because somebody who I don't know has decided yet another word offends them.

I've never been involved in a racial confrontation and I doubt I ever will be. Besides, I don't know any red indians.

Keith Vaz is a bit of a leftie , but i don't suppose you'd really call him red .

I was starting to feel guilty for starting this UNTIL that clown from the other side of the pond used soo many racist phrases to make his point.......getting something off your chest there chief???? How f!!cking dare you make me and other posters out to be racist. Nobody mentioned p!ki/ the n word or anything like it. This topic would have closed by now had you not have poked your f!!cking hooter in. As the other guy said lets get back to footy and if your intelligent as you make out you leave it at that without stoking a fire. Thanks for the backup btw my fellow foxes, you guys understood myself or zingari meant no offence to anyone

Archived