Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

Under 18 Academy Team - What's gone wrong ?

I see the record for our Under-18 Academy team this season is:-

Played: 8 - Won: 0, Drawn: 0, Lost: 8 !!

What's gone wrong ?  The Under 18's have had an amazing record over the last few years - winning Leagues and Cups - only has success in the FA Youth Cup eluded them.  This season it's atrocious - I don't think we're playing in a higher League this year, are we ?  Has Rudkin lost the plot, just been unlucky, missing Beaglehole being around (although I guess he'd be there for most U-18 games - the U-21 matches don't often clash - and he'd be there for training), lost too many players to the U-21 team - or is it simply a poor squad this year ? 

Thanks.  What League were we in last year ?

The whole structure got changed so with the new category grading that the club was awarded we were moved to the elite bracket of academies. Everyone else got moved into North and South divisions. We used to play teams along the lines of Sheffield United/Wednesday, Birmingham, Coventry etc.

The whole structure got changed so with the new category grading that the club was awarded we were moved to the elite bracket of academies. Everyone else got moved into North and South divisions. We used to play teams along the lines of Sheffield United/Wednesday, Birmingham, Coventry etc.

I suppose so, but I would have thought that being one of the top teams at the 'Midland/Championship' level (and there were a few Premier teams in that), should mean we would get the odd decent result against the better Premiership sides (we played many of them in FA Youth Cup games in recent years - and got near the Final on a few occasions).  We haven't even got a point !

I suppose so, but I would have thought that being one of the top teams at the 'Midland/Championship' level (and there were a few Premier teams in that), should mean we would get the odd decent result against the better Premiership sides (we played many of them in FA Youth Cup games in recent years - and got near the Final on a few occasions).  We haven't even got a point !

Yeah but all of our lads are home grown. Just look at Adnan Januzaj to see how teams like Man Utd get the pick of the entire world let alone just this country.

I swear we played Arsenal every year though? We always seem to beat them and win big.

The other way to look at this is that the Academy is more geared towards producing individual talents who can make it the first team as opposed to just creating a winning team and having a team a physical players who are taking advantage of the huge gulfs in physicality that you get at youth level.

Let's be honest, we can't exactly produce less first-team players than we have done in recent years!

I see the record for our Under-18 Academy team this season is:-

Played: 8 - Won: 0, Drawn: 0, Lost: 8 !!

What's gone wrong ?  The Under 18's have had an amazing record over the last few years - winning Leagues and Cups - only has success in the FA Youth Cup eluded them.  This season it's atrocious - I don't think we're playing in a higher League this year, are we ?  Has Rudkin lost the plot, just been unlucky, missing Beaglehole being around (although I guess he'd be there for most U-18 games - the U-21 matches don't often clash - and he'd be there for training), lost too many players to the U-21 team - or is it simply a poor squad this year ? 

Didn't we win last night?

Archived