Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Do we really need a defensive midfielder?

Think 4321 will be fine for games when we need to be attack minded. In that formation I think James and Drinkwater will be fine.

For harder games I'd like to see us go 4141. The 1 covering the defence could be Hammond but think a purchase in this area wouldn't hurt. Free up James and DD to get forward a bit when possible.

We need experience down the spine of the team.This includes midfield.

We had a core 17 or 18 man squad this season.Assuming those out of contract who are part of that core re-sign we will still need 6 or 7 additions.NP has already indicated there will be additions. I worry who will score the goals at PL level but we need strengthening throughout.So,yes.among other areas of the team we need  strengthening in  defensive midfield to compete in PL.

Bear in mind that we will be limited to the declared squad between windows.We have had injuries and suspension this season but nothing too serious. When that has happened look at the bench, James has been out so ,e.g.. instead of King and Hammond only one has been a sub and the options are limited.It is very much a squad game in the PL and we need quality reinforcements in all areas of the team.

That said, I am sure both James and DD will play an important role next season.

Midfield wouldn't be the first place i'd be looking to improve.

Drinky and James dominated matches on their own last season and were imo the reason we dominated the league. 

Midfield wouldn't be the first place i'd be looking to improve.

Drinky and James dominated matches on their own last season and were imo the reason we dominated the league. 

Does a new midfield player coming in have anything to do with him being the first second or sixth player coming in.

We will need a new central midfield player!!!!!!!!

Neither King nor Hammond is as good as James or Drinkwater. We will need someone else who is, in the Premiership. It's a no-brainer!

To be fair, I think our team would stay in the leauge without any more signings.  If we were only allowed to make 1 signing this summer I'd actually go for Gareth Barry and let him sit in front of the defence and have James and Drinky in front of him.  Every team that is doing well in the Prem has a sitting midfielder. X

Never going to happen. By the way I didn't mean to plus 1 you.

We had a core 17 or 18 man squad this season.Assuming those out of contract who are part of that core re-sign we will still need 6 or 7 additions.NP has already indicated there will be additions. I worry who will score the goals at PL level but we need strengthening throughout.So,yes.among other areas of the team we need  strengthening in  defensive midfield to compete in PL.

Bear in mind that we will be limited to the declared squad between windows.We have had injuries and suspension this season but nothing too serious. When that has happened look at the bench, James has been out so ,e.g.. instead of King and Hammond only one has been a sub and the options are limited.It is very much a squad game in the PL and we need quality reinforcements in all areas of the team.

6 or 7 is to many 3 or 4 will be all nige brings in if all the players he wants stay.

This season has proved you don't need wholesale changes to the squad.

3 or 4 quality players with the right attitude will be better than 6 or 7.

Thought we had all learnt the leason after sven.

6 or 7 is to many 3 or 4 will be all nige brings in if all the players he wants stay.

I doubt it, we need a bigger squad for premier league. We will get at least 3 nailed on first teamers and at least 5 squad buffers that give us decent options, I think. Some will be loans.

No, not as a regular starter anyway.

Play like we have against half of the premier league next season and we'll compete well.

A defensive mid may be useful in certain games or situations, sort of in the role Hammond has played this season, though we'll need a better player than him.

But James and Drinky have proved they are both combative and creative. Let's not sacrifice our team as a whole because of a misplaced fear that we will be overrun by 19 world class yet thug laden midfields that don't exist.

I'd like another centre mid to compete with James and Drinkwater, we are  capable of attracting this quality of player now.

But we do not need to tinker with our formation or style of play just for the sake of it. Don't panic.

We brought in 7 players this season. Only Bakayogo failed to regularly feature.

We had a core 17 or 18 man squad this season.Assuming those out of contract who are part of that core re-sign we will still need 6 or 7 additions.NP has already indicated there will be additions. I worry who will score the goals at PL level but we need strengthening throughout.So,yes.among other areas of the team we need strengthening in defensive midfield to compete in PL.

Hull did that with Davies, Huddlestone, but then were late in with Long and Jelavic. Strong spine with prem experience.

I think that Cardiff tried the same with caulker but gambled on medel and that corneilles (flop from Denmark)

What about scott parker? is he past it at 33 is he too slow? or will someone in with prem experience be an asset on a 1 year deal?

From Wikipedia so it must be true!

Scott Parker for most of his career has always been deployed as a holding midfielder (commonly known as defensive midfielder) both by his club and country. While not being the most graceful on the field among his team-mates, Parker is noted for his modest, calm and rational temperament; and also for his ability to smother incoming attacks from opposition and retaining possession for his team. Not one to shy away from challenges, Parker is not afraid to put his body on the line on numerous occasion.

No, NOT Scott Parker.

If we are getting someone in that DM position, we need youth, pace and strength.

Parker is past it IMO.

JET?

:ph34r:

:knockyhat:

Nigel has said that there won't be major changes. I interpret that as meaning that GTF and company WILL be retained as part of a 'squad' and we'll probably see a half dozen or so new players coming in to beef up the squad, 3 or 4 of which will be signed with a view to being 'regular' starters!

Yes, this is roughly what I'm expecting, too. We'd need more than 6 if any regulars/semi-regulars are lured to other clubs (e.g. Dyer, Schmeichel) or feel that they've not been getting enough game time (e.g. King, Wood), but I'd be surprised if more than 1 of them leaves...though 1 or 2 might follow in 6-12 months time.

As emergency loans are not an option in the Premier League, I wonder if we'll want to name 3 keepers among the 25-man squad? So, possibly Schmeichel + New Signing with immediate 1st team potential + promising young keeper or Logan (assuming Schmeichel stays)?

The 25-man limit also makes it more important to have a few players who can play in 2-3 different positions. It also makes it more of a gamble to include too many bit-part players (e.g. players too young or old to offer more than substitute appearances or the odd couple of games).

No, NOT Scott Parker.

If we are getting someone in that DM position, we need youth, pace and strength.

Parker is past it IMO.

Agreed.

An option from Fulham would be Steve Sidwell,out of contract,31 and their top scorer.

Archived