Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Do we really need a defensive midfielder?

James and drinkwater both lack a cutting edge in the final third in my opinion. They are both very good all round midfielders, but they lack the ability to move with the ball.

I would be far more optimistic next season if they actually sit in front of the back four, as i think they are great at doing that, and allow a more creative player to operate in front of them...thoughts?

Personally think we need a physical presence in the middle, preferably someone tall for set-pieces. Either defensive or the next Yaya, but think the squad needs a bit of physicality to compliment our ball players and French flair.

There's some decent defensive midfielders in Germany and I'm sure they wouldn't cost the earth.

Get Dejagah in as well - far and away Fulham's best player this year.

Suggested weeks ago.... Lee Cattermole

However, having beaten Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City and others in recent times, it appears that Sunderland, with Cattermole in that deep central position, are gonna be safe.

So that's probably no longer an option...

mahrez seemed to be coming inside a lot yesterday liking up with Drinkwater well.

He runs with the ball at the defence as has an eye for a pass/isn't afraid to shoot.

What about him in that role and another player on the wing?

For the creative side not defensive.

Suggested weeks ago.... Lee Cattermole

However, having beaten Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City and others in recent times, it appears that Sunderland, with Cattermole in that deep central position, are gonna be safe.

So that's probably no longer an option...

Too much of a risk discipline wise

To be fair, I think our team would stay in the leauge without any more signings.  If we were only allowed to make 1 signing this summer I'd actually go for Gareth Barry and let him sit in front of the defence and have James and Drinky in front of him.  Every team that is doing well in the Prem has a sitting midfielder. X

Archived