Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
-blue-

Big clubs

meanwhile, take rest assured that you're the second best second tier club ever - and that's meant as a compliment, when you see who appears on this list -

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-championship/all-time-table/full

Barnsley the best?

A little depressing that weve played the 2nd most games there.

Whats a big club?... one that people in Australia....

1) ...have heard of

2) ...would consider supporting

3) ...can pronounce.

:)

Agree about United and Liverpool.

I think the rest is up for debate though, there's a few sleeping giants in the Prem for me. Villa, Everton and Spurs are all massive clubs. Not saying they're third but I don't think some people actually release how big these clubs are.

Arsenal are certainly third for me. Chelsea's a funny one, they're probably fourth.

Then you can argue either way for clubs like Newcastle, Villa, Everton, Spurs, Man City, West Ham, Sunderland etc... they're all clubs who are comfortably bigger than Leicester.

Unless I've missed anyone I don't think there's any others that are significantly bigger than us. We're at Southampton's level in terms of club size for me.

Arsenal are certainly third for me. Chelsea's a funny one, they're probably fourth.

Then you can argue either way for clubs like Newcastle, Villa, Everton, Spurs, Man City, West Ham, Sunderland etc... they're all clubs who are comfortably bigger than Leicester.

Unless I've missed anyone I don't think there's any others that are significantly bigger than us. We're at Southampton's level in terms of club size for me.

Almost entirely agree with this, I think it's impossible to put together an argument which doesn't have United, Liverpool and Arsenal as a top three - and you've got it spot on with the second group of clubs as well.

Southampton's a begrudging mention in my eyes, mainly because I don't like the club and historically their home attendances would often by slightly less than ours. But that's a moot point and it's true we're of a similar stature. Other clubs in that grade that spring to mind are Forest, Derby, Wolves, both Sheffield clubs - the list could go on.

If forced to pick a fourth I couldn't go with Chelsea. Take a look at their average attendances in '84 and '89 when they were in the second tier and compare them to Man City, who were also down at the time. A mark of a big club in my eyes is how many people still turn out to follow you in your lowest ebb.

I think many of the older fans of the big clubs will see us as a bigger club than several in the bottom half despite our absence from the PL. I don't think we'll be known as a big club unless we were to finish 8th, win a cup or two and regularly fill the stadium. Might be a while yet. We don't have the prestige of the big clubs, or the big old stadium of some of the bigger clubs. But we do have a definite identity and work ethic, so if we stay up we can certainly progress.

But what does it actually take to be classed as a ' big club' ?

A big fanbase.

Leeds United.

If forced to pick a fourth I couldn't go with Chelsea. Take a look at their average attendances in '84 and '89 when they were in the second tier and compare them to Man City, who were also down at the time. A mark of a big club in my eyes is how many people still turn out to follow you in your lowest ebb.

For this reason, I almost think there would have been so much potential for a foreign owner to invest heavily in Newcastle in the early 2000 to make them top 4 regulars, big local fanbase and excellent stadium. Missed the boat you would feel.

Archived