Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
-blue-

Big clubs

Here we go again.

For me, history and current position are the biggest factors. Attendance also, but I hate the pointless 'we have more fans than you' when people on here compare a small town (such as Watford) to a massive city.

It's been done to death but it boils down to the fact no one really know the exact criteria for a big club. Easy to include Man Utd, Arsenal etc but then what of someone like Newcastle? Not won anything for 50 years or so but would still be regarded by most as a "big club". Tottenham, Everton - same applies.

If you were the FA and promotion/relegation were scrapped and you could " hand pick" your 20 teams to form a Premiership to maximise the appeal of the league, who would you have? Probably not Hull and Stoke for example. But you probably would drop Leeds in, maybe Sheff Weds and dare I say it, Forest?

IMO the big clubs relative to us are

Man U

Man city

Chelsea

Liverpool

Arsenal

Everton

Tottenham

Winning any points against these teams would be seen as bonus points (probably exclude man u and tottenham from this season though)

Relatively speaking, Villa are a much bigger club than we are. Having said that we always turn them over and I expect nothing less than six points off them next year!

Relatively speaking, Villa are a much bigger club than we are. Having said that we always turn them over and I expect nothing less than six points off them next year!

I was there when they thumped us and Walker had to fight that fan.

fans of different clubs change the meaning of "big" to suit them. 

forest, liverpool etc a "big" club is almost entirely based on your history. 

united, city and chelsea will tell you it's what you're up to now. 

shit teams like derby and that villa fan in the england thread and teams like newcastle will assure you a big team is big because they have big attendances. 

in reality it still amazes me that anybody gives a shit 

Not even close. Man Utd & Liverpool are the two biggest clubs in the country comfortably, with Arsenal third.

Agree about United and Liverpool.

I think the rest is up for debate though, there's a few sleeping giants in the Prem for me. Villa, Everton and Spurs are all massive clubs. Not saying they're third but I don't think some people actually release how big these clubs are.

Proud history of winning trophies at the highest level

A large fan base, both domestically and overseas

Identifiable culture at the club with distinguished previous managers and players

A tradition of producing their own talent

I would say these 4 components are the main ones in the "big club" debate. Its all subjective.

I'd say the big four would have their own level shared with the likes of Barca, Real and Bayern, in the football 'elite' or 'giant' clubs. They're all international franchises that are pretty much household names. To be a 'big' club, as such can fluctuate, and whether any team can actually stay a big club is another matter. Everton and Tottenham are examples I suppose, possibly Newcastle and, depending, on the next 4-5 years, possibly Southampton.

I base this on the fact they all have the resources to ensure Premier League survival long term, although there may be an occasional blip, e.g. Newcastle '09-'10. These clubs also have a good history, tradition and heritage which is recognisable in football, such as Tottenham being the winning the first ever 'double', Newcastle's passionate Toon Army and Everton are a well recognised as a team that has always been a top flight team since the Premier League's formation. This is why I feel teams like Stoke are currently not a 'big team', as they lack the heritage, tradition and history of the aforementioned team. You could also factor in League positions as well, as to eliminate teams such as Leeds and Forest that seem to be receding since their glory days.

Therefore I would us in the same bracket as the likes of Stoke as a 'larger' club. By no stretch of the imagination an 'Elite' club, not quite a 'Big' club but definitely 'Larger' than most clubs. This is due to the fact that whilst we are known as the biggest losers in FA Cup terms, and only a brief spell under O' Neill as a top 10 team, we have the necessary base in terms of silverware, attendances and general history (only being out of the top two tiers once in well over 100 years) to be considered a 'Big' club. It's very likely that had the tale of the Ice Kings finished in success if would have been a big deal. It probably would of got a cheesy, low budget 80s film made about it as well, and that could have been our ticket to being a 'Big' club.

Archived