Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the_enlightened_one

Best performance ever?

What do you consider the very best and worst Leicester performances you have ever seen? I am struggling to pick just one as my best but I'm edging towards 4-0 against Derby in 1998, 6-0 against Portsmouth in 2010 was probably the worst for me, 5-1 against Forest in 2009 was also up there. What about you?

Portsmouth was 6 1, steve howard scored in front of us, and gave us the clenched fist 'Come on' as he pulled us back to 4 1. What a night- not. Oakley got dogs abuse at the end of the game. He came towards us clapping, we told him where to go, in no uncertain terms. Sorry Matt.

When we beat Spurs 3-0 in 1997. That was pure domination. Heskey ran them ragged. My Dad (an old Spurs fan converted to Leicester) gave up his ticket to a mate, I still frequently remind him that was the best I've ever seen us play.

First half at west brom 1995 Pontus and kalac debuts total football that shook kingdoms.

I know many talk about the Bloomfield era of total football with weller and worthington. Unfortunately I was a bit too young for that but I've got to say SPOT ON! That first half against West Brom was unbelievable. If you like me were one of the lucky one's to be there, it will always stick in our minds.

So many great performances in the 90's, one of my early favourites was beating Palace in the FA Cup when they were a league above. SMIiiiiiiiiiTTTTTTHHHHH. Too many to pick the greatest of the late 90's right now.

Two of the least favourites were Bolton at home 0-5 first day and Forest away one Sunday afternoon in the early 90's.

Of course I can't argue against the "Leicester 5-2 Sunderland" game in 2000 but the one I always remember as being an amazing performance was our 3-1 win over a Spurs side ft Klinsmann in 1994. Sadly there were not too many performances that season to follow that one up! 

Sooo many 90's games for me

West Brom 1st half & the Sunderland game are the stuff of legend.

There's not many better performances than the 5-0 destruction of Cambridge though.

Recently though (for the young 'uns) you'd have to give honourable mentions to 4-1 Vs Derby and 0-2 Vs Burnley of last season. We were a different class so much so it was almost like we were playing a different sport, thoroughly great all round team performances.

My least favourite a 4-1 defeat away at Notts County, the highlight of which was Brian Carey's sending off which was cheered as loudly by us away fans as any goal

The spurs game mentioned above was class. 0-0 at ht I think and o'neill just said carry on doing what you're doing and you will win.

The derby game for the 20mins was class.

Sunderland at home 5-2 what could have been.

For me. I still watch the palace play-off final for the sheer amount of possession we had, how it went to extra time and nearly pens I will never know. Palace had something like 34% possession. Barca eat your heart out.

Worst.

Bolton opening day. Just knew where it was going to end from that day onwards.

Wycombe was hard to take as well.

I know many talk about the Bloomfield era of total football with weller and worthington. Unfortunately I was a bit too young for that but I've got to say SPOT ON! That first half against West Brom was unbelievable. If you like me were one of the lucky one's to be there, it will always stick in our minds.

That was the most gutting thing about McGhee walking out we were awesome away from home every ground we went to Derby Norwich port vale Sheff utd Sunderland we were outplaying the home side with ease the baggies first half being the absolute apex. It was screened on central tv live and apparently some old dear from Coventry wrote in to say it was the best performance she had seen from any football team since spurs in the 60s :D

[quote name="cc_star" post="3002076" timestamp="

My least favourite a 4-1 defeat away at Notts County, the highlight of which was Brian Carey's sending off which was cheered as loudly by us away fans as any goal

Legendary for the debut of our new record signing Mark Blake so not a complete wash out

I've only ever seen the West Brom game in highlight form, so I never realised we played so well as to be bringing it up nearly 20 years later. Probably a long shot, but has anyone got the full match, given that it was on ITV?

Sunderland 5-2.

I really thought we'd cracked it after watching this one. The big problem we had during the O'Neill years was the lack of a proper goalscorer. If we'd had one we'd have been pushing the top six, perhaps even beyond. I watched the Sunderland match and thought Collymore and Heskey would be the strike force we had been crying out for in order to push on. We all know what happened next.

As much as I'll always be grateful for the O'Neill era I can't help but see it as a missed opportunity. The top of the division was still relatively open to smaller clubs. The likes of West Ham and Ipswich managed to finish fifth, for example. If O'Neill had the money we gave to Taylor, if he'd just stuck around long enough to see us in the new stadium....

I really thought we'd cracked it after watching this one. The big problem we had during the O'Neill years was the lack of a proper goalscorer. If we'd had one we'd have been pushing the top six, perhaps even beyond. I watched the Sunderland match and thought Collymore and Heskey would be the strike force we had been crying out for in order to push on. We all know what happened next.

As much as I'll always be grateful for the O'Neill era I can't help but see it as a missed opportunity. The top of the division was still relatively open to smaller clubs. The likes of West Ham and Ipswich managed to finish fifth, for example. If O'Neill had the money we gave to Taylor, if he'd just stuck around long enough to see us in the new stadium....

If O'Neill had stuck with us until this very day I honestly believe 95/96 would have been the last time we tasted 2nd tier football. Maybe a season or two of champions league football as well, and most certainly more trophies, a definite top 6 side. If only...

Archived