Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Football Hardmen

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91059-13401780,00.html

FOOTBALL'S HARD NUTS

Manchester captain Roy Keane has been named the hardest ever footballer in the British game in a new survey

Keane's vein-popping performances, rants at referees and hospital tackles on opponents earned him the hardman title.

Here is a full list of the the top 20 hardest footballers according to the WKD survey:

1 Roy Keane (Manchester United - 1993 to present)

2 Ron 'Chopper' Harris (Chelsea - 1961 to 1980)

3 Vinnie Jones (Wimbledon - 1992 to 1998)

4 Dave Mackay (Tottenham - 1958 to 1967)

5 Nobby Stiles (Manchester United - 1960 to 1970)

6 Dennis Wise (Chelsea - 1990 to 2001)

7 Tommy Smith (Liverpool - 1962 to 1977)

8 Neil 'Razor' Ruddock (Liverpool - 1993 to 1998)

9 Kevin Muscat (Wolves - 1997 to 2002)

10 Norman Hunter (Leeds - 1962 to 1976)

11 Graham Souness (Liverpool - 1978 to 1984)

12 Wayne Rooney (Manchester United - 2004 to present)

13 Kenny Burns (Nottingham Forest - 1977 to 1981)

14 Peter Storey (Arsenal - 1965 to 1976)

15 Billy Bremner (Leeds - 1959 to 1976)

16 John Terry (Chelsea - 1997 to present)

17 Julian Dicks (West Ham - 1988 to 1993)

18 Patrick Vieira (Arsenal - 1996 to 2005)

19 Lee Bowyer (Newcastle - 2003 to present)

20 Eric Cantona (Manchester United - 1992 to 1997)

Is this a fair reflection of the hard men of football.. Rooney tougher than Bremner? Are there any missing from this list or should any be taken out?

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91059-13401780,00.html

FOOTBALL'S HARD NUTS

Manchester captain Roy Keane has been named the hardest ever footballer in the British game in a new survey

Keane's vein-popping performances, rants at referees and hospital tackles on opponents earned him the hardman title.

Here is a full list of the the top 20 hardest footballers according to the WKD survey:

1 Roy Keane (Manchester United - 1993 to present)

2  Ron 'Chopper' Harris (Chelsea - 1961 to 1980)

3 Vinnie Jones (Wimbledon - 1992 to 1998)

4 Dave Mackay (Tottenham - 1958 to 1967)

5 Nobby Stiles (Manchester United - 1960 to 1970)

6 Dennis Wise (Chelsea - 1990 to 2001)

7 Tommy Smith (Liverpool - 1962 to 1977)

8 Neil 'Razor' Ruddock (Liverpool - 1993 to 1998)

9 Kevin Muscat (Wolves - 1997 to 2002)

10 Norman Hunter (Leeds - 1962 to 1976)

11 Graham Souness (Liverpool - 1978 to 1984)

12 Wayne Rooney (Manchester United - 2004 to present)

13 Kenny Burns (Nottingham Forest - 1977 to 1981)

14 Peter Storey (Arsenal - 1965 to 1976)

15 Billy Bremner (Leeds - 1959 to 1976)

16 John Terry (Chelsea - 1997 to present)

17 Julian Dicks (West Ham - 1988 to 1993)

18 Patrick Vieira (Arsenal - 1996 to 2005)

19 Lee Bowyer (Newcastle - 2003 to present)

20 Eric Cantona (Manchester United - 1992 to 1997)

Is this a fair reflection of the hard men of football..  Rooney tougher than Bremner?  Are there any missing from this list or should any be taken out?

161555[/snapback]

Since when was Lee Bowyer hard?? Taggart should be on that list along with Mick Harford.

most of them are pansies.

Gerry Taggart was a real hardman,. Vinny jones and julian dicks are rougher than roy "kick the haaland out of him" keane anyday. rooney is a ugly ****er thats why he is rough, brought up in the slums of a small town on liverpool. willy puller.

most of them are pansies.

Gerry Taggart was a real hardman,. Vinny jones and julian dicks are rougher than roy "kick the haaland out of him" keane anyday. rooney is a ugly ****er thats why he is rough, brought up in the slums of a small town on liverpool. willy puller.

161611[/snapback]

Did you see him though when he first burst onto the scene and even now he knocks defenders off the ball with surprising body strength but he's not the kind of player who'd play on if he broke his nose or some other bone.

Anyone still playing today wouldn't even come into my top 50 of hard men, if you'd seen the football/tackles performed by players in the 70's you would see that the current lot are just babies with too many toys in their prams.

oh rooney is strong i will admit that, but no way is he hard. i dont think a striker can ever be hard as they go down at every oppurtunity. emile heskey was strong but he still fell like a sack of spuds, a hardman wouldnt do that really.

hardmen break legs, headbutt on the pitch, bite ears and stand on toes. they cheat there way through the game without getting caught. ala neil "razor" ruddock or julian dicks.

This survey is nonsense. I've seen a few FOXES who are much harder than those listed.

Remember when Walshy reduced Vinnie Jones to tears when we knocked Wimbledon out of the League Cup?

And where are the real hardmen like Bob Hazell and Gary Coatsworth?

He's a nutty goalkeeper in Sky One's 'Dream Team'.

I hope that clears it up  ;)

162340[/snapback]

Sort of, but i dont watch Dream Team so i dont know who he is. But thank you for elaborating! :)

Dave Mackay and Tommy Smith could certainly handle themselves but they could play a bit too.

Also how do you define "hard", people forever involved in kicking people up in the air or guys who could handle whatever came along and still play well?.

Mick Harford and Kenny Dalglish always seemed pretty tough to me - plus Tony Adams and Gary Pallister in an understated way.

The thing nowadays is that there's much less physical contact so comparisons are difficult.

Then what about the black lads. Lots of em are big and strong and fast. You don't see them getting picked on a lot and when you do they seem well able to take care of themselves.

My suspicion is that the really tough ones are hardly noticed cos they know they're tough and don't need the histionics to emphasise the fact.

Rather like SAS recruits. "We don't pick great big people or anyone who immediately stands out in a crowd," I was told. "The guys we like tend to be of medium height and build, people who blend in and don't look particularly consequential at all."

That said I think Keane would have been a tough cookie in any era.

And like Davieg suggested. In the 70's, and the 60's before that the tackles made you wince.

Leicester had a full-back called "Chopper Chalmers" and I can assure you that the first 15 minutes for any winger would have been a nightmare.

Archived