Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rincewind

Benefits Street Two

Guest MattP

How's your job search going, if you don't mind me asking? Well, I hope (seriously)? I'm sure that a man of your charm and talent won't be looking for long.

Perhaps you could target a job with the city council and then commission a load of translation work from me? I'm sure there's scope for some mutually beneficial corruption in this.

Would make sure that neither of us featured in Benefits Street 3....which is looking a distinct possibility for me, given the trajectory of my workflow.

Perhaps they should film a "Forum Street" and follow the working lives of select characters from Foxes Talk....could be entertaining (particularly if they managed to discover what Moosebreath does for a living).

Had an interview last week, all agency stuff these days which is a bit frustrating, used to prefer seeking out jobs properly with application letters done yourself, fortunate enough to be able to be in a position where I'm not completely desperate so can hold out for a while if I feel I'm underselling or I don't quite fancy it, we need a catch up actually, do you fancy a beer after the Burnley or Man U games?

'Forum Street' - now there is an idea. Or even a big brother style house where all the regulars are thrown in together. :o

There hasn't been one already? I always imagined Finnegan and Moosebreath as an aging, argumentative couple in an old two up two down

Not that I know of, quite a few of the ladies on here have tried it on me, but i'm very picky.  The issue with Finners and Moosey is that they still can't decide who is going to be the bitch of the relationship.

Had an interview last week, all agency stuff these days which is a bit frustrating, used to prefer seeking out jobs properly with application letters done yourself, fortunate enough to be able to be in a position where I'm not completely desperate so can hold out for a while if I feel I'm underselling or I don't quite fancy it, we need a catch up actually, do you fancy a beer after the Burnley or Man U games?

'Forum Street' - now there is an idea. Or even a big brother style house where all the regulars are thrown in together. :o

If you have sales experience, willing to travel 60% of the time, are fluent in German, don't mind moving to South West Germany and having me as a boss we have a job going.

You and MattP have such a bromance.

lol Is that a romance involving bromide tea? It'll all end in tears due to political differences. He is a very charming man, though. A neo-Poujadist and/or Young Fogey (not made up my mind yet), but a very charming one. Not sure about the "talent" bit, but he talks a good game - and that's 95% of what matters these days, isn't it?

First FT marriage??

Certainly not. I'm saving my virginity for one of these lovely, well-rounded brown girls from the Punjab that I keep seeing around. I'm hoping you might be able to arrange something.  :ph34r:

Yep, agencies everywhere isn't it? I need to get some more non-agency work to boost my income above subsistence level...easier said than done, though....and I don't have the capital, business nous or schmoozing ability to set up an agency myself. I'm not sure that I have the drive to launch a vigorous self-marketing campaign, at my age, either. Might have to join Ken in publicly-subsidised early retirement.  :ph34r:

I'm certainly intending to be at the Burnley and Man Utd matches and would be on for a meet, though whether I'd be drinking is another question (been dry for nearly 2 months now)...but if you don't mind being seen with someone holding a lime and soda...

lol Is that a romance involving bromide tea? It'll all end in tears due to political differences. He is a very charming man, though. A neo-Poujadist and/or Young Fogey (not made up my mind yet), but a very charming one. Not sure about the "talent" bit, but he talks a good game - and that's 95% of what matters these days, isn't it?

Certainly not. I'm saving my virginity for one of these lovely, well-rounded brown girls from the Punjab that I keep seeing around. I'm hoping you might be able to arrange something.  :ph34r:

Yep, agencies everywhere isn't it? I need to get some more non-agency work to boost my income above subsistence level...easier said than done, though....and I don't have the capital, business nous or schmoozing ability to set up an agency myself. I'm not sure that I have the drive to launch a vigorous self-marketing campaign, at my age, either. Might have to join Ken in publicly-subsidised early retirement.  :ph34r:

I'm certainly intending to be at the Burnley and Man Utd matches and would be on for a meet, though whether I'd be drinking is another question (been dry for nearly 2 months now)...but if you don't mind being seen with someone holding a lime and soda...

lol Racist!

Mate, i've been after another one of those for a while................we'll have to do something together  :ph34r: , as in go on the pull, you can be my wing man!!  You got no chance drinking lime and soda though!!

Matt can drink your share I am sure.

Did not know you were looking for another job Matt. Hope I have not said anything insensitive in recent posts. Good luck anyway.I am sure you will find something soon to meet your qualifications and experience.

I noticed I did not get a tag name in the suggestion for a Forum Street thankfully.:)

Dr Singh

Starring Druggie Alf, Sex Pest Mattp, Terrorist Singh and Ken!!   SOunds Quality!!

• 1 month later...

Ken, which part of her having to turn up to one interview in order to keep receiving benefits do you find to be 'unreasonable' considering that many people have to work many many hours a week for their income.

How sad that those on a 'free ride' have the inconvenience of having to adhere to the rules. All of us workers do.

Zero sympathy.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/08/mentally-ill-need-help-not-bullying-by-the-state

Neglect of the mentally ill is bad enough, but now consider how the Department for Work and Pensions deliberately torments them. I just met a jobcentre manager. It had to be in secret, in a Midlands hotel, several train stops away from where she works. She told me how the sick are treated and what harsh targets she is under to push them off benefits. A high proportion on employment and support allowance have mental illnesses or learning difficulties. The department denies there are targets, but she showed me a printed sheet of what are called "spinning plates", red for missed, green for hit. They just missed their 50.5% target for "off flows", getting people off ESA. They have been told to "disrupt and upset" them – in other words, bullying. That's officially described, in Orwellian fashion, as "offering further support". As all ESA claimants approach the target deadline of 65 weeks on benefits – advisers are told to report them all to the fraud department for maximum pressure. In this manager's area 16% are "sanctioned" or cut off benefits.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/08/mentally-ill-need-help-not-bullying-by-the-state

Neglect of the mentally ill is bad enough, but now consider how the Department for Work and Pensions deliberately torments them. I just met a jobcentre manager. It had to be in secret, in a Midlands hotel, several train stops away from where she works. She told me how the sick are treated and what harsh targets she is under to push them off benefits. A high proportion on employment and support allowance have mental illnesses or learning difficulties. The department denies there are targets, but she showed me a printed sheet of what are called "spinning plates", red for missed, green for hit. They just missed their 50.5% target for "off flows", getting people off ESA. They have been told to "disrupt and upset" them – in other words, bullying. That's officially described, in Orwellian fashion, as "offering further support". As all ESA claimants approach the target deadline of 65 weeks on benefits – advisers are told to report them all to the fraud department for maximum pressure. In this manager's area 16% are "sanctioned" or cut off benefits.

I'd be incredibly concerned if there were no targets. What she has described is the way any other large organisation would look to work, setting pass and fail points and monitoring performance. I'd imagine "offering further support" is a way to target those individuals that are simply playing the game to get their maximum. I know if I was doing their job I'd be scrutinising what they were doing to make sure tax payers money was not being wasted.

So it is OK to change appointment days and send the letters out so they arrive late? It is OK to harass mentally ill and vulnerable people?

I agree they should catch those that defraud but they are not doing so. They are 'targeting' the ones least likely to be able to understand the rules. There have been people break down in tears because of what is said to them. How would you feel if it was a relative of yours?

So it is OK to change appointment days and send the letters out so they arrive late? It is OK to harass mentally ill and vulnerable people?

I agree they should catch those that defraud but they are not doing so. They are 'targeting' the ones least likely to be able to understand the rules. There have been people break down in tears because of what is said to them. How would you feel if it was a relative of yours?

You are dangerously generalised job centre operations up and down the country. No offence but just because you chose to sit back and refuse job after job due to not being able to travel, working hours, health....I don't see why you need to make everyone see fearful of its operations.

Archived