Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rincewind

Benefits Street Two

I know, was just using that as an example. Would love to see a cool graphic analysing the benefits claimed by individual participants.

So it would say Mr Philpott, Housing Benefit on his three bed semi £700 monthly equivalent, Jsa for him, his wife and oldest son £820 monthly, child support allowance for his three young kids £600, disability support because he has a bad knee £900 monthly, disability support for his wife because she has depression £900 monthly, disability support for his oldest son because he has a headache £900 monthly. Total household income £5,720, hours worked: zero.

Then the show would really zoom in on those claims to see what they have to go through to get them, what their arguments are to say they deserve them, and then let the viewer decide whether or not they are justified.

Although I love the idea, can't see today's pandering society allowing it

Exactly the reason why morons buy the guardian for their "news"

I was thinking the other way round with the residents being portrayed as scroungers. But grant you that there are morons on both sides. The 'news' in the Guardian would not be covered by the Mail and visa versa.

Guest MattP

Considering you claimed not to have watched it Ken you certainly have strong opinions on the show.

Great point by Moose, I hope it actually shows them looking for work this time and if they are playing the system. Even the biggest defender of these sorts couldn't have seriously believed Fungi was genuinely seeking out 6 positions every two weeks from the last series.

Considering you claimed not to have watched it Ken you certainly opinions on the show.

Great point by Moose, I hope it actually shows them looking for work this time and if they are playing the system. Even the biggest defender of these sorts couldn't have seriously believed Fungi was genuinely seeking out 6 positions every two weeks from the last series.

Any fitties on there for you Matt, now white dee has a career and a new boyfriend????

Guest MattP

C'mon Raj, tell us what you really think man.

He's right unfortunately.

A bird on my Facebook the other week had all her kids outside on the street in a picture and was calling herself White Dee with pride.

The scum and underclass do seem to see these people as something to aspire to.

Guest MattP

People watch these shows with the intention of being offended, very odd.

Speak for yourself.

I was pissing myself at the last series after I'd got over the original shock that some people actually live like this.

A bird on my Facebook the other week had all her kids outside on the street in a picture and was calling herself White Dee with pride.

Are you surprised when you look at how much White Dee now commands for a TV appearance!! Fame and money now more important than pride and self-respect.

lol  And you've got her on your facebook!!!!!

Are you surprised when you look at how much White Dee now commands for a TV appearance!! Fame and money now more important than pride and self-respect.

Good on her, she's making most of her 2 minutes fame, atleast she will now be paying tax!!

Considering you claimed not to have watched it Ken you certainly have strong opinions on the show.

I thought Fungi was on disability? Considering he could barely read I can't imagine him applying for many jobs although now he is an adrenaline junkie apparently:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/benefits-street-addict-fungi-now-3866490

I think it is important to state what kind of benefits they are on, how much, whether they are looking for work, what kind of jobs they are being sent for by the Job Agency and see if they are just doing the minimum or actually going out and looking to improve their skill sets. It was all left ambiguous last time which just fueled the outrage as the show mainly showed them sitting around smoking fags and drinking beer.

The original did show some entrepreneurship and people looking for work, and working, but even those working it never really explained whether they were on benefits as well because their income didn't provide a living wage.

Lets also hope they don't implicate any of the residents in the theft of drugs from a dealer this time.

I watched the majority of it. As Captain said hopefully they will go more in depth. A lot of it was for sensationalism and playing up to the stereotype. I may have missed the one where they showed them in a better light. It was called 'Benefit Street' not scrounger Street. As the majority people claiming benefit are doing some kind of work they should have shown this too. And for the record you cannot claim JSA AND ESA as someone implied in an earlier post..I can't see it being shown too close to the election because of objections from both political viewpoints. The programme would have to be impartial and that would be difficult given the subject and title of the programme which in itself conjures up an image before being seen.

Think I saw four and the debates. I also see and read stuff from other sources. I am involved with a group that see and talk to people on low income and benefit everyday and many do indeed need financial and money managing advice but reducing their income even further will not help. JSA ESA PIP etc. are separate from HB. The first is there for times of hardship and available to all as an entitlement if your NI contributions are enough. HB is mainly for those on low wages as well as the unemployed. If a person earning 500 plus loses their job going down to under 200 is a big shock. They may have Sky TV and other gadgets but what if these are on a contract? you cannot just cancel without a penalty. They may also think as many do that they will find a job quickly. Even though the majority of new jobseekers find a job within a couple of months there are many who through reasons like health or lack of jobs for their qualifications that  do not. Even ome owners with a  mortgage can get into debt.

I have said too much. I feel like deleting this now as its rubbish.

Guest MattP

I thought Fungi was on disability? Considering he could barely read I can't imagine him applying for many jobs although now he is an adrenaline junkie apparently:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/benefits-street-addict-fungi-now-3866490

I think it is important to state what kind of benefits they are on, how much, whether they are looking for work, what kind of jobs they are being sent for by the Job Agency and see if they are just doing the minimum or actually going out and looking to improve their skill sets. It was all left ambiguous last time which just fueled the outrage as the show mainly showed them sitting around smoking fags and drinking beer.

I remember his payment being exactly the same of that of a jobseeker. It can't be exactly the same I doubt.

As for the second point, what else could they do? None of them were looking for work apart from the Romanians who looked just as disgusted with the white trash on the street as most of us did.

As for the second point, what else could they do? None of them were looking for work apart from the Romanians who looked just as disgusted with the white trash on the street as most of us did.

"White trash".... I wonder if that phrase has been used much in Rotherham in recent years....among Pakistani child abusers, police officers, Labour councillors etc?

Guest MattP

"White trash".... I wonder if that phrase has been used much in Rotherham in recent years....among Pakistani child abusers, police officers, Labour councillors etc?

Would it matter if it has? If I reported it to anyone I'd probably be threatened with something unless I withdrew the accusation anyway.

Would it matter if it has? If I reported it to anyone I'd probably be threatened with something unless I withdrew the accusation anyway.

How's your job search going, if you don't mind me asking? Well, I hope (seriously)? I'm sure that a man of your charm and talent won't be looking for long.

Perhaps you could target a job with the city council and then commission a load of translation work from me? I'm sure there's scope for some mutually beneficial corruption in this.

Would make sure that neither of us featured in Benefits Street 3....which is looking a distinct possibility for me, given the trajectory of my workflow.

Perhaps they should film a "Forum Street" and follow the working lives of select characters from Foxes Talk....could be entertaining (particularly if they managed to discover what Moosebreath does for a living).

How's your job search going, if you don't mind me asking? Well, I hope (seriously)? I'm sure that a man of your charm and talent won't be looking for long.

Perhaps you could target a job with the city council and then commission a load of translation work from me? I'm sure there's scope for some mutually beneficial corruption in this.

Would make sure that neither of us featured in Benefits Street 3....which is looking a distinct possibility for me, given the trajectory of my workflow.

Perhaps they should film a "Forum Street" and follow the working lives of select characters from Foxes Talk....could be entertaining (particularly if they managed to discover what Moosebreath does for a living).

Starring Druggie Alf, Sex Pest Mattp, Terrorist Singh and Ken!!   SOunds Quality!!

Archived