Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stripeyfox

80 Days - iOS game inspired by the Jules Verne novel

http://www.inklestudios.com/80days/

Anyone else played this? Only available on iOS at the moment I believe.

It’s a Choose Your Own Adventure style game in which you play the part of Philleas Fogg’s valet in their round the world quest. It is a narrative driven mainly text adventure. Starting from London, you head initially for Paris, but the decisions you take and people you talk to “unlock “ routes from therein.

You are constantly having to weigh up options (do I take train from Vienna in two days, or take a slower carriage which leaves today?).

Other random events occur which cost you time and you have to ensure Mr Fogg is kept in fine fettle otherwise he needs to rest in a hotel, costing you crucial days.

I was really impressed with it. On my first attempt I finally made it back to London on Day 84 (it is good that the game doesn’t “end” at 80 days). I did get chucked in jail in Vladivostock for 4 days and my ship got delayed in a storm and ended up diverting to Honolulu instead of the intended destination of San Francisco. I am currently on Day 21 of my second playthrough and have reached Tehran.

There is something like 130 cities to explore and the alternate universe “steam punk” technologies give lots of weird and wonderful ways to travel. A trading element is involved as you can buy and sell stuff in each city to gain funds (which you will need to “pay” for each leg of the journey). If you run out you can get more from the bank but a decent wedge of cash can take several days to arrive.

Would love to hear how anyone else is getting on with it?

It has even inspired me to re-read the Jules Verne novel!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Finally did it! Back to the Reform Club with 4 days to spare. Looked a bit dodgy when stranded in Lima with no obvious route onwards. Had to head up to Acapulco to pick up the trail.

Ran out of money for the last leg of the journey but fortunately had a spare day to wait for funds to arrive.

Even had a romantic same sex encounter in New Orleans!!

I think it is worth 3.99 (or £3 on Android) but if you have no money then maybe you shouldn't buy it!

One of the best mobile games I've played although probably won't be everyone's cup of tea.

Yeah I agree I really enjoyed this game found it a lot easier on the new update as made it back in 51 days

Gonna try the new North pole route see if that makes it any harder

Archived