Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
johnny the fox

Pi$$ heads watch out in Loughborough ...

When I was in a management position at a bar I wouldn't let people in who were excessively (and I mean excessively) drunk, especially not on nights without bouncers. Not because I'm a grinch who doesn't want people to have fun or enjoy freedom, but because I've had to deal with barmaids being harassed, assaults taking place, multiple glassings etc and 9 times out of 10 (more like 99 times out of 100) it is someone who is clearly too drunk than to know what's good for them that has caused the problem. It is over-kill with this initiative, you don't need anything other than your eyes to see when somebody is likely to cause trouble due to the amount of alcohol (and other things) they have consumed.

You might think I'm a douche for turning people away, but I know for close to a fact that I've saved lots of people who were out for a good time and staff who were just trying to make some money a lot of bother, and that's more important when you feel a duty to their safety.

Absolutely spot on. I've worked in the same situation and it's just part and parcel of the job. There's absolutely nothing wrong with turning people away if they've clearly had too much, or they're being disorderly, abusive, harassing people etc. This is so over the top though. As you say, all we ever needed was our eyes and common sense to tell what was needed and to act upon it accordingly. Definitely overkill and will give more power to some (possibly) already power hungry bouncers.  

Loughborough is dead in the evenings these days anyway.

'When I were a lad', there were double the number of bars and you couldn't move in any of them.

At four quid a pint, it's no surprise.

Where the hell do you booze in Loughborough? Can't remember seeing anywhere at £4 a pint, unless you're on Peroni.

Looks like I won't be entering Revs for a while, wankers on the door there anyway. Loughborough is dying a death anyway. 

Anywhere that has strict dress code, egomaniac bouncers etc is probably not my sort of place anyway.

Or loud music, or not enough seats, or rubbish peroni type beer, or no decent snacks, or no sport on the tv, or isn't within walking distance of my house.....or come to think of it, my house has all those things. I'm staying in! The only pissed up bell end to worry about would be me :)

Anywhere that has strict dress code, egomaniac bouncers etc is probably not my sort of place anyway.

If I get denied entrance to Mobius again* I'll just remind them to clean up their allegedly filthy kitchen

*they did let me in when I said i didn't really want to go in there anyway, but  had a birthday card for someone in there (which I did)

Pass your exams.....Get a job....Agree with your Boss....Get a car....Pay regular instalments.....Get a house....Pay more regular instalments.....Get WiFi....Get a Playstation....Clip your hedge.....Save for your pension....Wash your car on a Sunday....then complete your meaningless life and die and remain dead forever more without ever having lived.  :(

We're human beings, not cogs in a machine, for Christ's sake!

And human beings need to occasionally have some fun, get excited and release emotions - and that fun might sometimes involve people getting a bit inebriated. So what?

If a drunk person damages others in some way, there are laws to deal with it.

What absolute crap - and that's from someone who's not had a drink for 2.5 months!

That's how I imagine Jon the Hat and TPH.

Being drunk isn't a crime as far as I am aware providing you are not disorderly.

It is if you're in a public place :whistle:

good to see the police working hard and getting their priorities right

If you read the article it says it's the council.

is it?!

I just assumed you had to be causing a bit of aggro as well.

I don't think it is an offence just to be drunk in public.

There's the offence of "drunk and disorderly" if you're causing aggro or annoying other people in some way.

Then there's "drunk and incapable" if you're not annoying others, but seem incapable of looking after yourself and might come to harm (e.g. lying drunk in the street at midnight or staggering across the street at risk of getting run over)

There's the offence of "drunk and disorderly" if you're causing aggro or annoying other people in some way.

Then there's "drunk and incapable" if you're not annoying others, but seem incapable of looking after yourself and might come to harm (e.g. lying drunk in the street at midnight or staggering across the street at risk of getting run over)

Exactly what I though, proud to say I've been picked up for both in my time as well.

Exactly what I though, proud to say I've been picked up for both in my time as well.

Amazingly, during my misspent youth, I never once got picked up for "drunk and disorderly". Out of the 6-7 occasions on which I was picked up, I imagine that a couple must have been "drunk and incapable", but at the time I was too drunk to be capable of paying attention to what they said, just obligingly lay down in the cell and slept it off.

Amazingly, during my misspent youth, I never once got picked up for "drunk and disorderly". Out of the 6-7 occasions on which I was picked up, I imagine that a couple must have been "drunk and incapable", but at the time I was too drunk to be capable of paying attention to what they said, just obligingly lay down in the cell and slept it off.

I got picked up in Cheltenham for it after the races on Gold Cup day, I'm told it started as I tried to break up a fight (with police already there) and ended with me trying to drive a police car away for a joke. Fortunately that many people had been nicked I only spent a hour or so at the station before being booked in and let go as they had no room and more serious idiots needed to be slung in.

I got picked up in Cheltenham for it after the races on Gold Cup day, I'm told it started as I tried to break up a fight (with police already there) and ended with me trying to drive a police car away for a joke. Fortunately that many people had been nicked I only spent a hour or so at the station before being booked in and let go as they had no room and more serious idiots needed to be slung in.

lol lol lol

You must be the luckiest and biggest non-convicted re-offender around. No offence.

is it?!

I just assumed you had to be causing a bit of aggro as well.

Being drunk in a public place is an offence. Drunk & disorderly and drunk & incapable are two separate offences to being drunk in a public place

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vict/35-36/94/section/12

Being drunk in a public place is an offence. Drunk & disorderly and drunk & incapable are two separate offences to being drunk in a public place

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vict/35-36/94/section/12

So, according to the legislation you quote, it it an offence to be "found drunk" in a public place....but "being drunk in a public place" is not an offence, provided that you are not "found"....  lol

In practice,  people are "found" drunk because they are being either "disorderly" or "incapable", so provided you avoid being found to be "disorderly" or "incapable" (and provided the police aren't short of arrests that night), then in practice you won't have committed an offence by simply "being" drunk in a public place..... :whistle:  

Archived