Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tommy

City Part Company By Mutual Consent With...

Canero

Leicester City have today (Wednesday) terminated Peter Canero's contract by mutual consent.

The 24-year-old defender, who was into the final year of his deal after signing from Kilmarnock in January 2004, is now free to look for other clubs after leaving the Walkers Stadium.

The Scottish international made his first start for Craig Levein's men in over eight months on Monday evening when he played in the Foxes 2-1 pre-season friendly defeat to Inter Milan.

But injuries have blighted Canero's progress and therefore he made just 13 appearances in a City shirt.

Manager Craig Levein said: "We wish Peter all the best for his future playing career."

Source: OS

What was the point in playing him against Inter? and why was he talking about getting into the first team and working hard in the Mercury, this of of come as a shock to him.

I'm disapointed myself, I thought given a run of games he could be a very handy player next season for us.

Leicester City have today (Wednesday) terminated Peter Canero's contract by mutual consent.

The 24-year-old defender, who was into the final year of his deal after signing from Kilmarnock in January 2004, is now free to look for other clubs after leaving the Walkers Stadium.

The Scottish international made his first start for Craig Levein's men in over eight months on Monday evening when he played in the Foxes 2-1 pre-season friendly defeat to Inter Milan.

But injuries have blighted Canero's progress and therefore he made just 13 appearances in a City shirt.

Manager Craig Levein said: "We wish Peter all the best for his future playing career."

I am very disappointed by this. It's a ridiculous decision. We now have one less player to play right midfield/right back when we don't have a big sqaud as it is.

It was a complete waste to play him against Inter if this was going to happen. What justification can there be for him to have played in that game?

He was a decent player and would have done a job in this division when called upon.

Good move CL, frees up his wages for a new striker I would think that, that was the logic behind it. TBH never really given a chance but he never impressed me enough, with Stearman and maybury we have two of the best right backs in the division, so who needs him. I hope he finds a club because he was doing well at Killie, another poor MA signing. How about cancelling Morris' too?

Exactly - if anybody's contract should be cancelled it should be Morris's. At least Canero got back to full fitness and would have been useful if needed. Morris is a waste of space.

Good move CL, frees up his wages for a new striker I would think that, that was the logic behind it. TBH never really given a chance but he never impressed me enough, with Stearman and maybury we have two of the best right backs in the division, so who needs him. I hope he finds a club because he was doing well at Killie, another poor MA signing. How about cancelling Morris' too?

145171[/snapback]

Without Canero and Morris, who would our medical staff get to practice on? :blink::ermm:

Am very disappointed by this as I'd been impressed with Canero when he'd played, and I think he could have been a useful asset for us. I'll expect to see him at coventry or back oop north in the future then... :(

huh very strange, CL was going to play him tonight as wel. Im guessing Canero wanted to leave and then CL just let him go as he was going to struggle to get into the squad. Maybe another player to come (besides the striker) because he has freed some wages.

On the one hand he could have played in the Inter game for some other club to view and was subsequently not followed up.

As for saving his wages, well I assume at best we've only saved 50% as it was mutually agreeable and I can't see Canero going for less. The hope is that as he was signed by MAs he was probably on double what current players are on. So yes it could free up sufficient funds to pay for (wages) a better striker.

I can't quite understand Levein's actions towards Canero. When he first arrived Canero started the first 2 games under Levein, performing quite well. And then, all of a sudden he was forced to play in the Reserves with the academy kids. I don't think he's ever put a foot wrong when playing in our first team, and given his performance against Inter, he didn't put in an overly good performance but he'd have certainly been a reliable player as backup.

I suppose if this gives Stearman more of a chance of playing i'm all for it ;)

I was impressed with canero when ive seen him play but i'm not really dissapointed by him leaving. We have sylla,maybury,stearman and gerrbrand that can play in the right back position. And if sylla was to get injured we still have hughes who can play on the right. So there is plenty of cover for him.

And as someone previously said, it frees up a bit off extra money for levein to bring in a striker with.

If I was Canero I wouldn't have left without my contract being paid up in full, especially after the way Levein has treated him. And I'm sure Canero (and his agent) aren't daft either, so we must have paid him most if not all of his wages for the rest of his contract period.

145171[/snapback]

Spot on. That's Craig's thinking. He's done the decent thing and made an early decision so the guy can get fixed up in time for the new season.

Strikers cost money and CL's gonna need some to get the right person or people.

If I was Canero I wouldn't have left without my contract being paid up in full, especially after the way Levein has treated him. And I'm sure Canero (and his agent) aren't daft either, so we must have paid him most if not all of his wages for the rest of his contract period.

145186[/snapback]

Doubt that. Levein would have asked him which he'd prefer. A season not even on the bench or take the opportunity of a full season somewhere else. Imagine he might have got three months in wages and decided his career was going nowhere unless he moved..

Strange, very strange.

We did have great cover on the right, now we have reasonable cover, unless morris is on way back as cover for sylla and strikers?

Although im disapointed, i trust CL alot, so roll on that ilusive goal getter.

Im very disappointed in this although it is of no great shock. Canero hasn't put a foot wrong at this club and we have a small enough squad as it is. Lee Morris or Jason Wilcox should be sacked if CL is adamant on getting rid of players.

I have always felt Canero has played well for us and can play LB, RB, LM, and RM. A versatile player. Stupid decision by Levein, and one I can see him regretting further on in the season.

Archived