Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kitchandro

3-5-2

The problem Ranieri has is that he has too many good midfielders. Dd and King have been playing well until this one, but equally Kante and Inler have looked very good when they've come on. Therefore, he used the fact we didn't win last week against Spurs to play an extra midfielder because up until then, he couldn't really change a winning side. We never ever seem to play well when we play to contain a team. It's just not our style. Vardy is not a lone striker either.

A point in the circumstances is good but I think he got the line up wrong.

It can't be proved but it's my belief our Drinkwater and King have been made to suffer by a system which simply leaves too many players static and too few passing options. King in particular is not a player who controls the ball, looks up and deliberates on where he should pass to. He's a guy who knows beforehand where his pass is going and often takes one touch or no more than two in delivering.      

The problem Ranieri has is that he has too many good midfielders. Dd and King have been playing well until this one, but equally Kante and Inler have looked very good when they've come on. Therefore, he used the fact we didn't win last week against Spurs to play an extra midfielder because up until then, he couldn't really change a winning side. We never ever seem to play well when we play to contain a team. It's just not our style. Vardy is not a lone striker either.

A point in the circumstances is good but I think he got the line up wrong.

Your right about "containment". We're not good enough defensively to voluntarily soak up endless pressure. We have to relieve the threat by posing one of our own.

And with the release of such fast players as I've mentioned earlier that threat is real and needs attending to, thus reducing the number of players the opposition can easily or quickly commit to attacking.   

Whilst I completely agree we should be playing 3-5-2, I can't help but think he's trying the 4-5-1 formation to encourage us to be more composed on the ball and to build our attacks differently for those games where we aren't going to dominate and look a constant threat going forward like for example the Sunderland game.

However, I can't help but think it was two points dropped with our approach Saturday and that was clear for all to see.

Agree almost entirely with the OP. Don't forget Mahrez' brace against Southampton from that position. He's got the quality to play anywhere in an attacking position and be dangerous, and should we want him out wide then there's nothing stopping it becoming 3-4-2-1 and playing him on the right cutting in.

4-4-2 (I still think it's more 4-4-1-1) has been good for us so far but we looked better in 3-4-1-2.

Whilst I completely agree we should be playing 3-5-2, I can't help but think he's trying the 4-5-1 formation to encourage us to be more composed on the ball and to build our attacks differently for those games where we aren't going to dominate and look a constant threat going forward like for example the Sunderland game.

However, I can't help but think it was two points dropped with our approach Saturday and that was clear for all to see.

Definitely saw no evidence of that on Saturday. You can't expect to just pass the ball around your midfield three for 90 minutes. There was absolutely no link from attack to midfield and that's what resulted in such a dreadful performance.

Two points dropped for sure. Bournemouth were average, and made to look better by our own poor performance.

Definitely saw no evidence of that on Saturday. You can't expect to just pass the ball around your midfield three for 90 minutes. There was absolutely no link from attack to midfield and that's what resulted in such a dreadful performance.

Two points dropped for sure. Bournemouth were average, and made to look better by our own poor performance.

That's what I'm saying. It came across to me that we wanted to play that way but didn't have the composure or ability to do it. It was just all over the place.

It was a very strange game to watch.

I have to admit it does concern me slightly that we appear to have abandoned this formation. Claudio spoke of wanting to carry on from where we left off last season, and yet he ditches the formation at the first competitive opportunity.

3-4-1-2 is the only formation to me that utilises all of our strengths. We have two up top so Vardy isn't isolated, we have Mahrez in the hole to support the attack and central midfield, we have Schlupp at LWB where his attacking capabilities aren't wasted, we have Albrighton at RWB where he can swing in dangerous crosses without needing to cut back, we essentially have three in midfield so we're not overrun in there, we have three CBs so we're not left defensively exposed and lastly - if last season is anything to go by - Kasper performs better with three big CBs in front of him as he isn't required to dominate his box as much.

We know 4-5-1 is rubbish for our team as we're simply not built to keep possession, particularly the CBs. IMO 4-4-1-1 / 4-4-2 will do a job for us and we'll get enough points playing that way to stay up, but it has more flaws than 3-4-1-2, notably the lack of a good RB and the inability to keep any sort of possession. 

It was said when Claudio was appointed that he prefers four at the back, but I would hope that a manager as experienced as he is can see how well we played with the three at the back at the end of last season and would be willing to adapt.

Of course it is still very early days, I just hope it's still in his thoughts.

That's what I'm saying. It came across to me that we wanted to play that way but didn't have the composure or ability to do it. It was just all over the place.

It was a very strange game to watch.

If the forward was say... Okazaki, I think you'd have seen us play better because he's likely to drop deep and support the midfield. Vardy doesn't do that, it isn't his game. He's too limited.

Like I've said elsewhere I'm just crossing my fingers that it was a learning curve for Ranieri, but it was bizarre to say the least.

I do think the 3-5-2/ 3-4-3 formation suits our style better, maybe ranieri is trying to adapt our style to suit 4 at the back.

It's certainly way to soon to form concerns, he set up wrong but changed it and there was only one side going to win in the end.

If we played 4-4-2 and lost 4-3 would we applaud the effort or question whether why we didn't play a holding midfielder?

Way too many scenarios in that one.

Were we up 3-1? Who played where? Did we miss a PK? Was it back and forth to the last shot? Did we miss open nets? people for the most part judge their opinion on what is and what they have watched, not on 'what if this happened' because it didn't happen which brings the fairytale of the non event to an end.

Way too many scenarios in that one.

Were we up 3-1? Who played where? Did we miss a PK? Was it back and forth to the last shot? Did we miss open nets? people for the most part judge their opinion on what is and what they have watched, not on 'what if this happened' because it didn't happen which brings the fairytale of the non event to an end.

What if you never get laid again because your too busy replying absolute shit on foxestalk?

Archived