Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

Goal-line Technolgy

World soccer chief Sepp Blatter has confirmed that goal-line technology will be used in the 2006 World Cup if a trial run at the Under-17 world championships in Peru proves a success.

To avoid any controversy over whether a side has scored or not a system has been developed whereby balls fitted with a microchip will send a signal to the referee when they have crossed the line.

"We will definitely use the technology in Germany if the experiment works," said FIFA president Sepp Blatter, adding that a decision will be made by world football's governing body in October.

The tournament from September 16 to October 2 in Peru will host 32 matches at four venues each featuring the new technology.

"The International Board will attend that last week of the competition in Peru in order to see how the system works," said Blatter.

"This goal-line technology is enough. Football must keep its human face and must accept errors. If we start to make it too scientific this game will lose its fascination."

Finally they have realised we need technology! :thumbup::rolleyes:

I still say we need TV Replays like Rugby though!

But the bit I have highlighted in bold is an attitude I really hate, obviously this technology has to be tested but I hate the attitude where it is used in the Under-17's World Championship, why? Why won't they test it in World Cup qualifiers or even premiership or league games? Are World Cup games or league games classed at "too important" in the case that this new technology doesn't work?

The Under-17's World Championship may not be classed as "so important" but i'm sure if I was playing in the under-17's it may not be as important but if my team lost due to a dodgy goal where this technology didn't work i'd be really pissed off. Every game is important as each other IMO, so why not use this new technology in more of a high profile game?

(I suppose I may be contradicting myself abit but do you understand what I mean?)

Example the first game a new rule came in (I think it was a new version of the offside trap - not sure) the trialed in in the Leicester v Bolton game, why did they test it in a Leicester/Bolton game are they not very important teams? why didn't they test it in a Chelsea/Man Utd/Arsenal match?

some excellent points.

goal-line technology is so late for this day and age. we have the net & we have bluetooth and we can see each other halfway across the world on mobile phones but we cant tell if a bag of wind did or did not cross a line. lol. get it in a.s.a.p!

The Under-17's World Championship may not be classed as "so important" but i'm sure if I was playing in the under-17's it may not be as important but if my team lost due to a dodgy goal where this technology didn't work i'd be really pissed off. Every game is important as each other IMO, so why not use this new technology in more of a high profile game?

(I suppose I may be contradicting myself abit but do you understand what I mean?)

Yes, if your under-17 team lost to a dodgy goal due to the technology not working then you'd be pissed off, but imagine if a Premiership team lost to a dodgy goal due to the technology **** up.

Then the team and tens of thousands of people would be a bit pissed.

It makes perfect sense to try it in a lower profile game where there's only gonna be a handful of people bothered about the result rather than thousands.

i dont think there would be massive breaks, just if it is questionable and the ref / assistant refs have no idea and players protest then they j ust run to the dugouts to see the evidence, and resume the game in a way they see fit, be it kicking off in the event of a goal or a drop ball or wherever the ball went out.

sounds like a great idea but I remember reading something about this about 6months ago and that the technology they are using is owned and copyrighted by Adidas in which case it could cause major problems for leagues that don't use adidas balls like the English leagues

So much money riding on results these days you cant rely on human referees to get it right.

Exactly but what do the F.A and FIFA do about it? Nowt, this kind of technology has been available for years and this technology has been needed for several years!

Archived