Sign in to follow this  
winchesterton

Your Music: Post It Here

little loop I've been working on this week

Edited by lifted*fox

What do people use for recording?

Hoping to get a digital multitrack recorder for my birthday. Tried a USB guitar connection previously but my laptop is too slow. ;)

Probably not everybodies cup of tea as i'm not a traditional 'band' but I used to produce a fair bit of electronic music. Unfortunately I don't really have much free time to do it any more

Edited by MrSpaM
  • Like 1

On 19/06/2018 at 13:31, Libertine said:

Hoping to get a digital multitrack recorder for my birthday. Tried a USB guitar connection previously but my laptop is too slow. ;)

I use Logic predominantly with a USB audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 6i6). It's got ample ins/outs, allows me to use my active monitors the latency is more than good enough for what I use it for.

ProTools is arguably better for recording, and great for large scale studios but it's rubbish for bedroom composition IMO.

Having said that, I don't do that much recording these days, instead relying on soft synths. 

On 19/06/2018 at 13:31, Libertine said:

you shouldn't need a digital multitrack recorder, really. 

as Robo said above, you can use a external soundcard interface such as the Focusrite Scarlett series (I have the 2i4) and plug your guitar into that to record straight into a DAW like Ableton or Logic.

you can then use VST plug-ins to add every other sound imaginable, synths, pianos, drums, etc. 

Well I ended up getting a Boss Micro BR-80. Liking it so far.

This is my first rough attempt at a song. I've always been pretty whack at mixing etc, but I'm relatively happy with it.

13 hours ago, Libertine said:

Well I ended up getting a Boss Micro BR-80. Liking it so far.

This is my first rough attempt at a song. I've always been pretty whack at mixing etc, but I'm relatively happy with it.

Guitar and Bass both sounding decent - bass has a nice warmth and fullness to it.

The drums are really lightweight though - the snare is weak in the mix, no punch to it. Hi-hats & crash are very clean, could perhaps do with some additional drive / distortion to dirty them up a bit.

12 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

Really like that, man.

I'm a huge fan of synthwave / darksynth and anything 80s retro... Been working on an EP for the last year or so, on and off. Some horror and sci-fi inspired synthwave / house.

Heavier than your stuff though, a lot of fat saw waves and over-compressed four-on-the-floor beats.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RoboFox said:

Really like that, man.

I'm a huge fan of synthwave / darksynth and anything 80s retro... Been working on an EP for the last year or so, on and off. Some horror and sci-fi inspired synthwave / house.

Heavier than your stuff though, a lot of fat saw waves and over-compressed four-on-the-floor beats.

Thanks so much man, appreciate it.

I'm guessing you're going for a heavier sound like Carpenter Brut? Love his stuff.

Please tell me you've heard of George Clanton / Esprit? If not, check out 100% Electronic by George Clanton - such a great LP.

Share up some stuff! (Unless I've missed it!)

16 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

Thanks so much man, appreciate it.

I'm guessing you're going for a heavier sound like Carpenter Brut? Love his stuff.

Please tell me you've heard of George Clanton / Esprit? If not, check out 100% Electronic by George Clanton - such a great LP.

Share up some stuff! (Unless I've missed it!)

Yep, that's it exactly. (Seen him... Them... live twice now. F**king awesome.)

Influenced heavily by Carpenter Brut, Pertubator, Dance with The Dead, Magic Sword, Pylot and Waveshaper and a lot of rock bands I used to listen to, as well as a lot of 80s / 90s computer games. Even some of the more dreamy stuff like Droid Bishop and Miami Nights 1984.

I've just got a new MacBook, so I need to get around to installing all of my plugins again... It's a daunting task and I'm struggling to be arsed to do it. I haven't let anyone listen to any of it yet, and the first track is pretty much finished, mixed but unmastered.

I was going to sit on it all until I was happy with five tracks or so (I never am!), but I guess it couldn't hurt to get some objective feedback. I'll let you know when it's hosted somewhere.

Just added that album to my Apple Music, will give it a listen! 

Edited by RoboFox

On 08/07/2018 at 00:20, lifted*fox said:

Guitar and Bass both sounding decent - bass has a nice warmth and fullness to it.

The drums are really lightweight though - the snare is weak in the mix, no punch to it. Hi-hats & crash are very clean, could perhaps do with some additional drive / distortion to dirty them up a bit.

Cheers bud. There wasn't an option to put FX or EQ on the drums on the system, but you can upload all the tracks individually to PC so can always edit on there.

1 minute ago, Libertine said:

Cheers bud. There wasn't an option to put FX or EQ on the drums on the system, but you can upload all the tracks individually to PC so can always edit on there. 

are the drums recorded live? or have you used a VST to write the drums? 

I'm not sure of what your setup currently is so can't comment on the best route to get the drums sounding better. 

what are you running?