Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingcarr21

Emulators

Anybody know of any decent emulators to download. Got a decent laptop and im trying to find some good Dreamcast emulators.

Anybody here got any recommendations for good emulators?

im trying to think of any dreamcast game that is worth revisiting......seriously. 

Had a go at installing an emulator and struggled. Tried following a youtube guide but they rush through it. Need to have some time with no distractions to nail it down.

All this nonsense of plugins and BIOS and mounting images just goes over my head lol

Edited by kingcarr21

Had a go at installing an emulator and struggled. Tried following a youtube guide but they rush through it. Need to have some time with no distractions to nail it down.

All this nonsense of plugins and BIOS and mounting images just goes over my head lol

Agreed. I used to play Street Fighter Alpha 3 online all the time and loved it. No idea how to get it running again on my new laptop - need MAME, Kawaks, god knows what BIOS / other plugins and a particular ROM which is 1 out of about 12 international variants available online. I used to know all this shit and my computer know-how has been sapped since I started this job and use Mac at work and Android phone

• 2 years later...

Bump

I forgot I was trying to find an emulator before. I had a look a few days ago and found one called Deream (I think, I will edit later if its different)

With this emulator there is no faffing about, just download the emulator then download a Rom. Put the rom file (.cdi) in a folder (mine is in Program files).

Then just locate it in the emulator and click to play. Works really well. There is a free version or you can pay $5 for the premium version (which I believe just upscales the visuals). I will eventually get the premium but at the moment the free version works fine. Some sound issues but nothing major. 

Just thought I would share in case anyone else wanted to relive some dreamcast games. Currently playing Skies of Arcadia which was always one of my fave RPG games. Got Shenmue ready for when i've finished SoA. 

• 2 months later...

I tried to play a game on Mame recently, and it won't work. It's a game I used to play, so I know it used to work, and I can't remember messing around with Mame since then, so I can't work out what could have happened. Some games work, and some have stopped working. Has anyone got any ideas?

I also discovered that emuparadise is no longer offering ROM downloads after 18 years. Apparently, Nintendo have threatened to sue. Fair enough, but it made me think about the future of classic games and how they are preserved. The vast majority of old games are no longer available to buy anywhere, other than maybe 2nd hand physical copies, which don't get the rights owners any income, anyway.

I think the best solution might be a sort of gaming itunes store where you could buy or rent classic game ROMs for a small fee. The main problem with it is that the companies who own the rights to many games are now defunct or hard to track down.

• 1 year later...

Searched for an N64 emulator randomly yesterday on my Android and downloaded the first one that came up. Works near perfect. Playing games like Banjo Kazooie and Diddy Kong Racing are tough though with the Z button placement but im playing Paper Mario again. Over the years no matter how many times I play it its still a great game. Especially when sat on phone meetings lol