Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
catfordfox

Claudio's best tactical change/substitution

Our success defending, especially since the turn of the year, has been due to several reasons including change of personnel and mentality.

And the recent games this mentality taken on has given us even greater resolve. You can just sense the players 1-11 know we are not going to concede once we score first. Flores for Watford said same sort of thing about us. Even as fans we seem to understand we take the lead and see 11 guys out there defending as a unit.

I think the stroke of genius was to change from an very attacking game to a more defensively solid counter-attacking game just as teams were starting to suss us out around Christmas time. Claudio changed the approach almost totally and the opposition are still trying to figure out how to beat us.

Changing the full backs. I think getting beaten as resoundingly as we were by Arsenal kind of forced him into changing them but he has quite literally turned our defence from one of the worst in the league to one of the best. That's remarkable and shouldn't be under-estimated.

With DeLaet and Schluup as full backs made us an exciting attacking team but left us quite exposed, we are far more solid now but are less exciting to watch but we would never have got this far if we had just continued as we were.

There's literally too many to mention but I suppose the main one which stands out for me was as early back as Stoke away. Inler started the game in centre mid with Drinky and was well off the pace, it would have been easy to keep the Switzerland captain (at the time) on the pitch to get some minutes under his belt etc but he took him off and put Kante in the middle and the 2nd half was a different story. Tactically Ranieri is different class!

There's literally too many to mention but I suppose the main one which stands out for me was as early back as Stoke away. Inler started the game in centre mid with Drinky and was well off the pace, it would have been easy to keep the Switzerland captain (at the time) on the pitch to get some minutes under his belt etc but he took him off and put Kante in the middle and the 2nd half was a different story. Tactically Ranieri is different class!

Archived