Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Manwell Pablo

FA Cup 2016/17

So, (and sorry if there's already a thread) this starts at the weekend, albeit it's at the stage where you go down your local park to laugh at your mates/lads you played in the local five a side league the weds prior/the local Ronaldinho that don't get out of bed for less than £50 a game. 

Hopefully going to make the 10 minute walk down to the NFU Sports Ground on Saturday to watch Ashby Ivanhoe vs Quorn. Got no idea what to expect as had minimal involvement with the club since the end of June so I don't even know who's in the first team squad at the moment. Ivanhoe narrowly missed out on promotion to the league Quorn struggled to stay in last season though, so in theory at least, should be a decent game. I'll do my bit of shameless tauting for the club, £4 to get in (I think don't quote me) club house on site, 3pm kick off.

Anyone else taking in a bit Extra Preliminary round action at the weekend given we aren't playing till Sunday?

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I'm off up the butthole 

Haha, true story, lad i know, who to be fair does look a bit like Dynamo, went to watch shepshed last season and the chairman would not leave him alone for the whole game, to the extent where he bought him a bottle of bubbly to try and butter him up. He was convinced he'd found the perfect club mascot.

"will you be the shepshed Dynamo" lol 

On 1 August 2016 at 23:10, Manwell Pablo said:

Haha, true story, lad i know, who to be fair does look a bit like Dynamo, went to watch shepshed last season and the chairman would not leave him alone for the whole game, to the extent where he bought him a bottle of bubbly to try and butter him up. He was convinced he'd found the perfect club mascot.

"will you be the shepshed Dynamo" lol 

Its a decent little club. 

Got whacked 4-0 on Saturday mind. Once the captain went off, the whole defence was all over the shop and the keeper had a total mare. Can see them losing their decent attacking players if that continues. 

Guest CityFan 06

Claudio said he would like more silverware this season, and this is the competiton to get that in, hopefully. 

I'd love us to win the FA Cup. Apart from the FA Cup, we've won every major English trophy so it'd be nice to add that trophy to our proud collection. 

Premier League 1

Championship 7

League One 1

League Cup 3

FA Cup Runners up 4

FA Community Shield winners 1, runners up 1. 

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Its a decent little club. 

Got whacked 4-0 on Saturday mind. Once the captain went off, the whole defence was all over the shop and the keeper had a total mare. Can see them losing their decent attacking players if that continues. 

Bit surprised by that Mansfield are nothing that special. 

Ivanhoe won 4-3, very even game, reasonably entertaining, and great for them financially, nice bit of prize money decent gate and they ran out of beer so must of made some money there, now they get to travel to Loughborough Dynamo where they will get 50% of everything without having to organise anything so that's a big bonus for them. I should imagine they will struggle against a team two steps above them even if Loughborough have been a little off the boil for the last few years but time will tell. Will have to give the game a miss for the same reason I'm not going Arsenal but will catch the replay should it go to one.

• 2 weeks later...

Ashby won their 2nd FA cup tie defeating Loughborough Dynamo (2 divisions higher) 3-1.

They are set to play Ilkeston (3 divisions higher) but due to Ilkeston's suspension from the league who knows if it will happen.

I hope so as it will be a decent crowd puller, over 300 went to Ashby's 1st FA cup game and I'd expect Ilkeston to bring a good number, i'd expect over 400 for that tie.

A nice £1925 in prize money to go with the £1500 from the 1st round.

17 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

Ashby won their 2nd FA cup tie defeating Loughborough Dynamo (2 divisions higher) 3-1.

They are set to play Ilkeston (3 divisions higher) but due to Ilkeston's suspension from the league who knows if it will happen.

I hope so as it will be a decent crowd puller, over 300 went to Ashby's 1st FA cup game and I'd expect Ilkeston to bring a good number, i'd expect over 400 for that tie.

A nice £1925 in prize money to go with the £1500 from the 1st round.

Yes I saw that. Amazing. Result, will be attending on the 3rd if it goes ahead. If not even that's good for the club, bye = prize money and probably best if they drawn away for them anyway given the FA cup finance rules.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/08/2016 at 18:14, Manwell Pablo said:

Had confirmation Ivanhoe will get through unless they settle their debts and get the suspension lifted.

Is it still on?

I might go Coventry United v Bedworth United tomorrow - local derby. Coventry U being the club formed by annoyed Cov City fans. Bedworth managed by Hinckley legend Stuart Storer. I don't think there will be much in it. 

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Is it still on?

I might go Coventry United v Bedworth United tomorrow - local derby. Coventry U being the club formed by annoyed Cov City fans. Bedworth managed by Hinckley legend Stuart Storer. I don't think there will be much in it. 

Yeah mate Ilkestone got themselves out of debt last week lol so they're back playing now. 

They will maul Ivanhoe I would imagine (although I though Dynamo would take care of them and look what happened there) but will be a good money spinner, apparently they are bringing between 250-500 away fans alone, 350 total gate would be the best gate they've ever had lol 

No Leicester so I'll be going down. 

Where did you read (or hear) they are bringing that many Pablo?  They rarely get home gates above 400, I know its the FA cup but would be surprised at that number.  Not sure how the ground will cope if that's true.  There's only hard standing on 2 sides of the pitch.:D

A mate mentioned it to me, could be a case of Chinese whispers to be fair, but I doubt it as we both know the chairman and management team pretty well and he doesn't normally go around saying things like that unless he's got a good source as he's the kind of bloke that wouldn't believe it without evidence. 

On 9/4/2016 at 08:46, purpleronnie said:

Well you were right, 0-6.

One positive was they got one of the highest attendances of the round 693.

They played quite well tbf given the rather obvious gap in resources between the two clubs. I dunno if you watched the game but they had a great chance to make it 1-1 literally about 30 seconds before Ilkeston scored their 2nd and had they buried that it could of been a lot edgier, they also fashioned quite a few half chances in the second half, easily deserved a goal. 

Still better team bar far won on the day. Great run to get there though in the first place though and the club will be several thousand better off than expected at this point in the season and not done it's profile in the local area and harm either. 

Can't make Saturdays unfortunately, my dad went down and he said the same as you, Ivanhoe had good chances to keep it tight but wasted them, I guess that's the difference at that level.

There's real potential at Ashby but from what I'm told Stuart is dead against paying players, so I guess they'll stay at this level for a while.

I see Stapenhill have Hart playing for them, so I assume someone's throwing a bit of money around there.

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/5/2016 at 13:08, purpleronnie said:

Can't make Saturdays unfortunately, my dad went down and he said the same as you, Ivanhoe had good chances to keep it tight but wasted them, I guess that's the difference at that level.

There's real potential at Ashby but from what I'm told Stuart is dead against paying players, so I guess they'll stay at this level for a while.

I see Stapenhill have Hart playing for them, so I assume someone's throwing a bit of money around there.

Ha I've just seen this. He'd pay them if they got up to step 5 I'd imagine, he's got close enough without paying them I'd say it's a matter of time myself.

I hope so the cnut still owes me £20. 

2 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Ha I've just seen this. He'd pay them if they got up to step 5 I'd imagine, he's got close enough without paying them I'd say it's a matter of time myself.

I hope so the cnut still owes me £20. 

lol No team stands out this season in the EMCL so I think it will be Ashby's best chance.    St Andrews have made a decent start in the Midlands league....but westfields might have won the title already.

On 05/10/2016 at 12:09, purpleronnie said:

lol No team stands out this season in the EMCL so I think it will be Ashby's best chance.    St Andrews have made a decent start in the Midlands league....but westfields might have won the title already.

Quorn in decent nick too with them beating a decent side Highgate last night. 

Shepshed have gone daft with spending. Both strikers signed from Birmingham area, both quality but baffling in a league what looks Westfields to lose. 

On the point of Westfields, they have started losing players to Hereford now but they still have three or four lads from Hartbury College (they do sports scholarships), they can't play higher than the division they are in and generally restricted on Saturday games. Their good Cup run could be what derails them slightly. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived