Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kendal Fox

Anybody out there like British Gothic Cinema?

4 hours ago, Kendal Fox said:

I have always had a rather trainspotter-ish obsession with all things Hammer Horror - Cushing, Lee and the Lovely Ladies of period horror...! Basically anything British Gothic...

Anyone else?

Watched all the Hammer films when i was a kid,Horror Channel still show a few now

5 hours ago, MPH said:

What the bloody hell is British Gothic cinema?

British film genre began late 1950s, died out around mid-70s... Usually, but not always, period setting, supernatural elements (again, not always), sex & death, betrayal, mystery....etc. etc..
This might educate you as to how it all began...

21 hours ago, rico said:

Watched all the Hammer films when i was a kid,Horror Channel still show a few now

Yes, I occasionally tune into the Horror Channel. Though there are lots of restored Hammer films on Blu ray now. Amazing clarity and detail. Look fab, especially the set design, period decor, clothes, etc..

On 10/4/2016 at 17:44, Kendal Fox said:

I have always had a rather trainspotter-ish obsession with all things Hammer Horror - Cushing, Lee and the Lovely Ladies of period horror...! Basically anything British Gothic...

Anyone else?

Loved Hammer horrors ....    watch occasionally if they pop up for a bit of nostalgia.   Love horror films in general but can only watch them when Mrs CF isn't around as she doesn't like them at all ...   claims she can't sleep afterwards !!   Wuss !!

On 05/10/2016 at 21:28, Countryfox said:

Loved Hammer horrors ....    watch occasionally if they pop up for a bit of nostalgia.   Love horror films in general but can only watch them when Mrs CF isn't around as she doesn't like them at all ...   claims she can't sleep afterwards !!   Wuss !!

Ah, shame Mrs CF is of a nervy disposition! You have my sympathies!

Seriously though, I grew up in the 90s, but after seeing a few late night, repeated for the umpteenth time airings of Hammer films, I was hooked. Just loved the theatre and psychological elements. Also, though later films had far superior special effects, I really admired the fact that Hammer were working to such tiny budgets yet had such an eye for the set design, wardrobe, decor and atmospheric musical scores...

Glad to know I'm not the only one. :cool:

11 hours ago, Kendal Fox said:

Ah, shame Mrs CF is of a nervy disposition! You have my sympathies!

Seriously though, I grew up in the 90s, but after seeing a few late night, repeated for the umpteenth time airings of Hammer films, I was hooked. Just loved the theatre and psychological elements. Also, though later films had far superior special effects, I really admired the fact that Hammer were working to such tiny budgets yet had such an eye for the set design, wardrobe, decor and atmospheric musical scores...

Glad to know I'm not the only one. :cool:

Yes there was something special about the Hammer films ...   I don't know what they filmed it in but the colours and atmosphere were spot on and ahead of their time ...   and the credits were in that gothic style and often blood red !! ...   corny but great !

I also liked the Carry on films and their take on horror was brilliant ....   "Frying tonight !!! ..."   that one had Fenella Fielding in who I used to lust after ...    but top lusting went to Madeleine Smith who actually came to a horror night in Leicester a few years ago and I missed it ...   gutted !!!

On 10/10/2016 at 10:54, Countryfox said:

Yes there was something special about the Hammer films ...   I don't know what they filmed it in but the colours and atmosphere were spot on and ahead of their time ...   and the credits were in that gothic style and often blood red !! ...   corny but great !

I also liked the Carry on films and their take on horror was brilliant ....   "Frying tonight !!! ..."   that one had Fenella Fielding in who I used to lust after ...    but top lusting went to Madeleine Smith who actually came to a horror night in Leicester a few years ago and I missed it ...   gutted !!!

Think they were filmed in Eastman Colour, which was known to be beautifully deep and rich. Which obviously, as you say, worked when it came to projecting the atmospherics!

Looking at Fenella Fielding's image around that time, she was definitely a big inspiration for the female Goth scene/sub-culture I'd say!

On 10/10/2016 at 06:49, ithuriel said:

Was not just Hammer though they were the best known, Amicus did a few movies with Lee and Cushing too and I was surprised to learn Hammer only did one werewolf movie.

True. Amicus did some nice anthologies... Yeah, Hammer only did The Curse of the Werewolf... Great film, mind!

• 4 months later...
On 20/10/2016 at 17:08, rico said:

Always liked Hammers version of The Mummy and The Gorgon.

Theatre of Blood with Vincent Price and the Dr Phibes movies were also great

Just seen this now, after all these months! Yes, anything with Cushing is a must and I also liked Theatre of Blood! Though I think Witchfinder General was Price's least hammy/most convincingly cold blooded performance.

Archived