Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The Best of the 50s

26 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Just think how big Chuck Berry could have been if he'd learnt more than 1 tune.

But he did learn a second tune........... My ding-a-ling.

Which just goes to show that he was right to concentrate on the first, very good tune that he had learned. :D

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
TODAY'S DATE IN THE BUDDY HOLLY STORY.
February 3, 1959
Traveling the 400 miles by air rather than highway would not only get them faster, Buddy figured, it would also give them time to get their wardrobe clean and presentable, so Buddy rented an airplane that belonged to Mason City's Dwyer Flying Service. Plans changed when Richie Valens and Big Bopper found out about the airplane and talked to Jennings and Allsup about giving them their seats. Allsup recalls: "I went to rent the plane, but I played a toss with Ritchie Valens, he had been telling me all night that he had never flown in a small plane. And he won the toss." When Big Bopper said he had the flu, Jennings also gambled on him his seat and lost it. "The bus had very small seats and Big Bopper was a fat man" -recalls Jennings- "he could never sit in them, so he came and asked me to give him my place, he really had a lot of flu, he said 'I need to rest a little 'and I said 'well, if Buddy agrees, I do"
"Buddy laughed and asked me
–So, aren't you going to get on the plane?
-No, Bopper wants to go- I answered
Buddy told me then -I hope your old truck freezes up again-
I said –and I hope your old plane crashes– "
"Imagine how I felt! -continues Jennings- at that time I was only twenty years old, and I believed that I had caused the accident. It took me two years to get over it and get back to music."
Shortly after takeoff, around 1:50 A.M. On February 3, 1959, the Beechcraft Bonanza N3794N plane took off in bad weather. Radio contact was lost shortly after takeoff. The pilot, 21-year-old Roger Peterson, was unqualified to fly by instruments, and is believed to have become disoriented in the snowstorm, causing the airplane to be descending rather than ascending, gaining speed until it plunged into a nearby cornfield, five miles north of Clear Lake, between the cities of Fargo and Mason City, killing the pilot and his three passengers. Holly's latest single "It doesn't matter anymore" / "Raining in my heart", which had been released just a few weeks earlier, on January 5, had hit the Top 100 charts on the day of the crash.
The musicians' bus ride to Fargo would take three and a half hours. When no more was heard about the plane after this time, Jerry Dwyer, owner of the rental business, reported the plane as missing at Moorehead Airport the next morning, a search began. At 9:30 a.m., the twisted metal and bodies were found in Albert Juhl's corn field, less than ten miles from the Mason City airstrip. The plane was completely demolished, but did not burn. The investigations did not find the causes of the accident, since the airplane was in good condition and Peterson was a good pilot. But Peterson made the decision to fly under conditions that he was unable to control without the proper instruments or the necessary certification.
Tragic ironies covered Holly's death. The day before, he had told a local disc jockey that he did not want to get back on the bus because it had broken down one day before while they were traveling from Green Bay, Wisconsin on their way to Clear Lake. There was also a message for him at the Moorehead Armory, it was from Allison and Mauldin, on the night of the crash, they were trying to reach Holly to tell her they wanted to reunite the group.
Friends, family and fans around the world were shocked when news of the accident was released. Elvis Presley, who was as much an admirer of Holly as Holly was of him, was shocked when he learned of the tragic death. The other members on the tour were in awe, it couldn't be true! But in show business it is a tradition that "the show must go on". An advertisement appeared on the radio asking local gangs to help fill the gap left by the deaths of these artists. Among those who answered the call was a talented 15-year-old named Bobby Vee. The accident that took the lives of the three artists, boosted the career of the young Vee.
That night both the artists and the public were in shock. The tour was to continue at the Val Air Ballroom in Moorehead, Minnesota, where they were joined by Frankie Avalon and Jimmy Clanton. It was a very emotional night when the Crickets tried to play Buddy Holly songs without him.
Years later, Joe Meek, who was considered the British "Phil Spector" died, shooting himself, inside his house, in north London, on February 3, 1967. A fan of Holly, he had chosen this date as the anniversary of the death of his idol.
THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED.

• 2 weeks later...

Just stumbled across this one was a big hit in the USA in '59 but I didn't come across it until the late 60s.

I'm slightly embarrassed to say me and my mates used to break into a  conga like as if we were sleep walking and hum this as we walked through town.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...