Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

I’ve worked more than 48 hours a week, for as long as I can remember.

And under the working time directive you can. Last November (2016) I worked 7am-10pm Mon-Fri, then 9-5 Saturday and Sunday (ironically to meet an EU directive), but my employers couldn't compel me to do it - I had to agree to. This isn't scrapping a restriction stopping people from working overtime, it's scrapping a restriction that makes that a decision the employee takes rather than the employer.

Edited by The Doctor

The banks have written to the government saying that a Canada type deal isn't good enough.

Can any of the leavers explain why they are so sure that our businesses will be better off when we've already had multiple business groups convering a variety of sectors saying they won't?

It's wilful ignorance of the part of leave voters imo. Honestly can't understand how they can ignore everybody from economists to business leaders but believe everything Nigel Farage,  Boris Johnson and Iain Duncan Smith tells them.

No, I get paid overtime.

1 hour ago, Rogstanley said:

You'll be ok then provided you're happy to do the extra hours. The main losers will be those on salary forced to do no end of hours for no extra pay, aka most people. 

Sound :thumbup:

Not sure how you conclude he'll be okay. Without Working Time Directives his employer can just make a 48 hour week 'normal'. Strokes still has to work the hours but doesn't get the extra pay. They just have to have a couple of shuffles around to get around contracts. 

1 minute ago, toddybad said:

Not sure how you conclude he'll be okay. Without Working Time Directives his employer can just make a 48 hour week 'normal'. Strokes still has to work the hours but doesn't get the extra pay. They just have to have a couple of shuffles around to get around contracts. 

I’d just go self employed if I wasn’t happy, I’ll be fine ta. I’m probably going to soon anyway, I’m paying way too much tax imo.

Just now, Strokes said:

I’d just go self employed if I wasn’t happy, I’ll be fine ta. I’m probably going to soon anyway, I’m paying way too much tax imo.

It takes a lot of money to run a country.

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

Don’t worry, I’ll vote labour and make the rich pay for it.

Well it certainly won't be the self employed paying for it.

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

I know, all those Uber drivers and deliveroo riders are just not playing fair.

Cash in hand, over egged expenses, family members ficticiously 'working' for the company. It's a problem on a par with large company tax evasion given the numbers of people involved.

22 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Fair point.

Parasitic tax dodgers aside, I look forward to hearing the reasons being trotted out by the Tory pawns as to why us all working more for less is supposed to be a good thing.

Edited by Rogstanley

11 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Cash in hand, over egged expenses, family members ficticiously 'working' for the company. It's a problem on a par with large company tax evasion given the numbers of people involved.

Everybody is up to it :nono:

BRITISH workers are set for an overtime bonanza after Brexit, it was revealed last night.

Ministers want to scrap EU laws which limit the working week to 48 hours — costing the average family £1,200 in lost pay.

The move would also be a boost to industry which loses billions of pounds bringing in agency staff to plug the gap.

Brexiteers have gained widespread Cabinet support to axe the Working Time Directive as a first step when the UK is free from Brussels.

The Tories won an opt-out in 1993 but Labour MEPs voted to end the UK’s right to break the limit in 2003.

Brexit-backing ministers will demand an end to the directive when the Brexit “war Cabinet” meets tomorrow to decide what to demand when trade talks begin next year.

They say it will give millions of families the chance to top up their wages and help small firms eager to cash in on the new global trade market.

A source said: “This is what taking back control is all about.

It will put the power to decide how hard to work back into the hands of the people who matter — the ordinary British worker.

“One or two Brexiteers have been pushing to scrap this daft directive and there is big support for it in Cabinet.”

One minister said: “This will give employers the added flexibility they will need once we have left the EU.

"And it will allow millions of people to earn vital overtime cash.”

The directive has also piled extra costs on to cash-strapped public services, with hospitals having to scrap weekend “on call” work”.

Leaving aside how the lefties on here suddenly believe The Sun. I've read that twice and I can't see anywhere where it says it'll be compulsory to work overtime.

15 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Makes up for all the ‘benefits’ employees get though :whistle:

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

Leaving aside how the lefties on here suddenly believe The Sun. I've read that twice and I can't see anywhere where it says it'll be compulsory to work overtime.

We all know what these evil Tory bosses are like. I’m only thinking of going self employed so I can get an apprentice to work 23hour days, with no holidays. Why else would I vote leave?

Just now, Strokes said:

We all know what these evil Tory bosses are like. I’m only thinking of going self employed so I can get an apprentice to work 23hour days, with no holidays. Why else would I vote leave?

I assumed you were a pensioner who wanted to ruin the future for young people.

It isn't just the sun. It has been reported in the times that Gove wants to get rid of the working time directive and speculation abound that he and the likes of the idiot Johnson are plotting a systematic destruction of workers rights with paid holidays, breaks and working hours all at risk.

Piss weak May has already said workers rights will be protected but even if that's what she personally wants, nobody will be surprised to see her u-turn or give up her 'principles' if it helps her putrid fingers cling on to power.

Did anyone really think the Tories would use new powers to do anything other than screw over ordinary people to help the rich? If you did I hope you'll learn your lesson.

3 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

It isn't just the sun. It has been reported in the times that Gove wants to get rid of the working time directive and speculation abound that he and the likes of the idiot Johnson are plotting a systematic destruction of workers rights with paid holidays, breaks and working hours all at risk.

Piss weak May has already said workers rights will be protected but even if that's what she personally wants, nobody will be surprised to see her u-turn or give up her 'principles' if it helps her putrid fingers cling on to power.

Did anyone really think the Tories would use new powers to do anything other than screw over ordinary people to help the rich? If you did I hope you'll learn your lesson.

Can you show me where it says overtime will be compulsory. I need a bit more than your bigoted assumptions.

7 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Can you show me where it says overtime will be compulsory. I need a bit more than your bigoted assumptions.

It'll be compulsory if it's written into the employee's contract, which it almost always is. I've never had nor seen an employment contract that doesn't say unpaid overtime may be required. The working time directive puts an upper limit on the amount if hours that can be worked. Removing that protection allows employers free reign to insist employee's work any number of hour for no additional pay.

Edited by Rogstanley

2 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

It'll be compulsory if it's written into the employee's contract, which it almost always is. I've never had nor seen an employment contract that doesn't say unpaid overtime may be required. The working time directive puts an upper limit on the amount if hours that can be worked. Removing that protection allows employers free reign to insist employee's work any number of hour for no additional pay.

I'm sorry, there's no point arguing with you on what you assume will happen.

25 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Makes up for all the ‘benefits’ employees get though :whistle:

Self employment is a choice. The worker benefits from being in control of the profits, minus tax. Tax isn't an optional extra.

Just now, Webbo said:

I'm sorry, there's no point arguing with you on what you assume will happen.

Well it's what happened before working time directives.

Just thinking of this eu directive, what about nurses nights on shift? It’s common for them to be scheduled 7, 12 hours nights in a row and has been for over 10 years. They don’t get a choice, it doesn’t seem like that directive was working much anyway.