Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

Just now, Buce said:

It was a study compiled by six academics who work for the University of Birmingham, not just the one quoted.

Yes sorry Buce.

I have just noticed that the Brexiteers just stick their fingers in their ears when any new Brexit analysis is posted on here these days.

As Toddy says I was just guessing what they might say if they could be bothered.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fox Ulike said:

Yes sorry Buce.

I have just noticed that the Brexiteers just stick their fingers in their ears when any new Brexit analysis is posted on here these days.

As Toddy says I was just guessing what they might say if they could be bothered.

lol

No worries - irony doesn't translate well over the net.

7 minutes ago, toddybad said:

He's pre-empting Strokes, webbo and fox.

Surprised he missed the fact she is also a dreaded expert.

And a dreaded woman.

She could not speak a word of  English when she landed in this country yesterday. The leftists appointed her professor of Birmingham and gave her a free house. And now she betrays us all by coming out with these researched facts and statistics.

26 minutes ago, Buce said:

MattP: "We'll be doing deals all over the world, and our passports will be blue. Rule Britannia. Btw, did anyone see what Corbyn was wearing on the Marr show?".

Webbo: "Project fear. We've heard from all these so-called experts before".

Innovindil: "I've got plenty of work".

Foxy_moron: "It will be a billion times worse if Labour get in.... unions going on strike for £50 an hour.... everyone homeless because McDonnel has nationalised all private property..... very dangerous people.."

Strokes: "I really don't give a fvck. Bite me".

Don't forget the links between the University of Birmingham and Momentum.

38 minutes ago, Buce said:

MattP: "We'll be doing deals all over the world, and our passports will be blue. Rule Britannia. Btw, did anyone see what Corbyn was wearing on the Marr show?".

Webbo: "Project fear. We've heard from all these so-called experts before".

Innovindil: "I've got plenty of work".

Foxin_moron: "It will be a billion times worse if Labour get in.... unions going on strike for £50 an hour.... everyone homeless because McDonnel has nationalised all private property..... very dangerous people.."

Strokes: "I really don't give a fvck. Bite me".

Spot on. :cool:

Manufacturing order books were close to a 30 year high in the three months to December, according to the latest monthly CBI industrial trends survey.

http://www.cbi.org.uk/news/bumper-orders-continue-for-manufacturers-through-to-year-end/

The U.K. Tops Forbes' Best Countries For Business 2018

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2017/12/19/the-u-k-tops-forbes-best-countries-for-business-2018/#66d1ad5d26de

• Like 1

Nearly 45,000 UK retailers in financial distress this Christmas

Snow and consumer spending squeeze affect number of shoppers on high street, while Toys R Us may enter administration

People out in the snow in Leominster, Herefordshire

Sarah Butler

Nearly 45,000 retailers are in financial distress this Christmas as a snowy weekend and the squeeze on consumer spending power hit sales after the Black Friday rush.

While Toys R Us faces potential administration on Thursday if a deal cannot be struck with the pensions lifeboat, there has been a 22% increase in the number of retailers, nearly 8,000 more, facing “significant financial distress”, according to a survey by the advisory company Begbies Traynor.

The furniture chain Multiyork is being wound down after administrators were called in last month, while nearly 3,000 jobs have gone at the collapsed groceries wholesaler Palmer & Harvey.

Julie Palmer, a retail expert at Begbies Traynor, said retailers had faced a particularly disappointing few weeks of trading following the apparent success of Black Friday at the end of November.

The increasingly frantic promotional and discounting activity we are seeing this week across the high street is simply not having the same effect on consumers as it once did,” she said.

“UK shoppers are savvier than ever and prepared to search online for the best deals, having grown wise to the gimmicks and discounts on offer in store, which many now realise may not be as good as they first appear.”

On Wednesday, with four shopping days until Christmas, high street stores are discounting heavily, including the majority of fashion retailers. H&M is offering up to 60% off, while Debenhams, House of Fraser, French Connection, Gap, New Look and Dorothy Perkins are offering up to 50% off.

Retailers are battling for business after a near 10% fall in the number of shoppers out on the high street in the first three weeks of December, according to the consultancy Ipsos Retail Performance. That was driven by a 21% drop on Sunday 10 December, when there was heavy snow across the UK.

Spending has risen by 3.1%, according to Mastercard, but online retailers are experiencing the best of this sales growth, with a 12% lift on last year. The card operator found spending on groceries had so far dipped by 0.1%, although supermarkets’ busiest day is expected to be Friday.

A CBI survey of 109 companies this month suggested that online sales on Black Friday and Cyber Monday were “unspectacular”.

Of those surveyed, 37% of retailers said sales volumes were up in the year to December, while 17% said they were down. The resulting balance of +20% was less than the +30% predicted by retailers, and weaker than +26% in November.

Alpesh Paleja, the CBI principal economist, said: “Notwithstanding the sales growth seen in the last couple of months, underlying trading conditions are tough for retailers. We expect the squeeze on real pay for households to last a while longer, so retailers will still face challenging conditions ahead.”

Clothing retailers had a difficult October and November, as sales of coats and knitwear were held back by unseasonably warm weather, while the slowdown in the housing market meant a tough time for DIY and furniture chains.

Palmer said: “I fear UK retailers are now in the midst of a perfect storm, with November’s interest rate decision, rising inflation, falling real wages, reduced credit availability and increasing Brexit uncertainty all combining to put unprecedented strain on household budgets this Christmas season, pushing consumer confidence to an all-time low.”

Edited by Guest

46 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Manufacturing order books were close to a 30 year high in the three months to December, according to the latest monthly CBI industrial trends survey.

http://www.cbi.org.uk/news/bumper-orders-continue-for-manufacturers-through-to-year-end/

The U.K. Tops Forbes' Best Countries For Business 2018

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2017/12/19/the-u-k-tops-forbes-best-countries-for-business-2018/#66d1ad5d26de

Britain's reign as the top country could be brief as companies' plans for Brexit unfold. London might lose 10,000 banking jobs as a result of Brexit, according to think tank Bruegel. Citigroup, Morgan Stanley, Nomura and Standard Charter are moving their EU headquarters to Frankfurt, with Paris and Dublin landing spots for other banks looking to ensure access to the single market.

2 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Britain's reign as the top country could be brief as companies' plans for Brexit unfold. London might lose 10,000 banking jobs as a result of Brexit, according to think tank Bruegel. Citigroup, Morgan Stanley, Nomura and Standard Charter are moving their EU headquarters to Frankfurt, with Paris and Dublin landing spots for other banks looking to ensure access to the single market.

You listen to what the experts think might happen, I'll listen to what's actually happening.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Webbo said:

You listen to what the experts think might happen, I'll listen to what's actually happening.

I took that quote from the article you linked

:nigel:

4 minutes ago, toddybad said:

I took that quote from the article you linked

:nigel:

Fair enough. I normally dismiss your points as boring and predictable without reading them as it saves time. Perhaps this time I should have looked. My bad.

Just now, Webbo said:

Fair enough. I normally dismiss your points as boring and predictable without reading them as it saves time. Perhaps this time I should have looked. My bad.

Looks like you don't bother reading the articles you think back up your points either.

8 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Have a listen to this then, Webbo:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/dec/20/imf-christine-lagarde-brexit-forecasts-growth-uk-economy

The International Monetary Fund has strongly defended its gloomy forecasts for the UK after Brexit, saying pre-referendum warnings of slower growth were coming true.

Christine Lagarde, the fund’s managing director, said the vote to leave the EU in June 2016 was already having an impact and Britain’s weaker growth this year was in contrast to accelerating activity in the rest of the world.

Speaking at the Treasury as the IMF announced the results of its annual health check of the UK economy, Lagarde hit back at those who lambasted the fund when predictions of an immediate post-referendum recession failed to come to pass.

“We feared that if Britain decided to leave, it would most likely entail a depreciation of sterling, higher inflation leading to a squeeze on disposable income and a reduction in investment,” she said.

“People said ‘Oh those experts’, but we are seeing the narrative we identified as a potential risk being rolled out as we speak. This is not the experts speaking, it’s what the economy is demonstrating.”

The IMF trimmed its forecast for UK growth this year from 1.7% in October to 1.6%, and said it expected the economy to grow by 1.5% in 2018.

It was one of several economic forecasters to say the UK would suffer a downturn should voters back leaving the EU.

Last year, the fund had said growth for 2017 would be 1.1%, before raising the forecast to 2%.

Since the turn of the year, Lagarde said activity had slowed notably and the UK’s recent performance was a disappointment in the light of the best showing by the global economy since the financial crash.

3 minutes ago, Buce said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/dec/20/imf-christine-lagarde-brexit-forecasts-growth-uk-economy

The International Monetary Fund has strongly defended its gloomy forecasts for the UK after Brexit, saying pre-referendum warnings of slower growth were coming true.

Christine Lagarde, the fund’s managing director, said the vote to leave the EU in June 2016 was already having an impact and Britain’s weaker growth this year was in contrast to accelerating activity in the rest of the world.

Speaking at the Treasury as the IMF announced the results of its annual health check of the UK economy, Lagarde hit back at those who lambasted the fund when predictions of an immediate post-referendum recession failed to come to pass.

“We feared that if Britain decided to leave, it would most likely entail a depreciation of sterling, higher inflation leading to a squeeze on disposable income and a reduction in investment,” she said.

“People said ‘Oh those experts’, but we are seeing the narrative we identified as a potential risk being rolled out as we speak. This is not the experts speaking, it’s what the economy is demonstrating.”

The IMF trimmed its forecast for UK growth this year from 1.7% in October to 1.6%, and said it expected the economy to grow by 1.5% in 2018.

It was one of several economic forecasters to say the UK would suffer a downturn should voters back leaving the EU.

Last year, the fund had said growth for 2017 would be 1.1%, before raising the forecast to 2%.

Since the turn of the year, Lagarde said activity had slowed notably and the UK’s recent performance was a disappointment in the light of the best showing by the global economy since the financial crash.

I'm coming to the conclusion it's not worth the effort. Maybe we should just accept that compete idiots have decided to trash the economy despite the fact the Brexit they've voted for will hurt them most. I mean, honestly, how many times do they need to be told?

9 hours ago, Buce said:

The turkeys that voted for Xmas:

People do, Labour even managed to hold Rotherham despite what went on.

No point getting into another debate, if remainers still can't get it through their head that Leave voters weren't all motivated by fiscal effect they never will.

If they were your side would have won. It does make me laugh though how all the reports from these bodies are a reason to remain yet when the same bodies tell you what an economic disaster Labour would be you ignore it and go out and vote for them. Strange. 

5 minutes ago, Buce said:

"predictions of an immediate post-referendum recession failed to come to pass."

"Last year, the fund had said growth for 2017 would be 1.1%, before raising the forecast to 2%."

So they were wrong then?

7 hours ago, Strokes said:

Looks like I don’t need to give my opinion, as it’s all been given for me. Motivation, Brown faces.

Same.

I'm blacking up for Xmas because of Brexit. 

20 minutes ago, toddybad said:

I'm coming to the conclusion it's not worth the effort. Maybe we should just accept that compete idiots have decided to trash the economy despite the fact the Brexit they've voted for will hurt them most. I mean, honestly, how many times do they need to be told?

I won’t listen until about 5386 times and I’m hoping I’ll be deaf by then.