Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

5 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

George galloways brexit plan.

June 24th 2016 send EU an email explaining that the people of Great Britain have had a referendum and have decided to leave the EU.

As of today we will no longer pay any contributions to the EU and in return we won’t receive any contributions from the EU.

We won’t put any trade tariffs on any goods and services from the EU.Unless you decide to put tariffs on goods and services from the UK.If you decide to put tariffs on our goods and services,we will have to reconsider our position.

Any EU national currently resident in the U.K. as of June 23 2016 will continue to have full rights to live and work in the U.K.In return we will expect any UK national to have full rights to live and work in the EU.If you put restrictions on U.K. nationals again we will reconsider our position.

We will continue to keep the EUs high standards regarding workers rights and the environment.In fact we will strive to improve them.

We will continue to work alongside the EU and our allies regarding national security and expect you to do the same.

goodbye

Still havernt heard an argument that stands up against this.

Only because you don't want to think about the other 40,000 things affected by leaving the EU and the need to have plans in place regarding each. But no, it's easy. Ffs.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

The manifesto didn't promise that at all. It said we would try and pursue free trade deals.

What was explicitly clear was to do that we would need to leave the single market and the customs union, which some Conservative MPS now appear to be going back on.

It's still just manifesto pledges at the end of the day.  We all know they're only carrots on a stick, don't we?

23 minutes ago, MattP said:

The manifesto didn't promise that at all. It said we would try and pursue free trade deals.

What was explicitly clear was to do that we would need to leave the single market and the customs union, which some Conservative MPS now appear to be going back on.

It also said they'd bring back fox hunting, introduce an election losing social care plan and a raft of other things that went out the window at about five past ten that night. Yet you think the one issue where constituents actually knew their MPs opinion is the one where they have to stick to the manifesto pledge? Yeah, you're really taking the neutral line there.

11 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Only because you don't want to think about the other 40,000 things affected by leaving the EU and the need to have plans in place regarding each. But no, it's easy. Ffs.

Whose side are you actually on mate.You leave the rest follows.By delaying delaying deflating we weaken our position.Anorher one who has bought the b@ll sh@t

Just now, Heathrow fox said:

Whose side are you actually on mate.You leave the rest follows.By delaying delaying deflating we weaken our position.Anorher one who has bought the b@ll sh@t

I'm on the side of the British people who want jobs and prosperity after Brexit.

It's not bull to think there might be consequences and that they need to be planned for.

It is bull to live in some fantasy where the smaller party can dominate negotiations.

6 minutes ago, toddybad said:

It also said they'd bring back fox hunting, introduce an election losing social care plan and a raft of other things that went out the window at about five past ten that night. Yet you think the one issue where constituents actually knew their MPs opinion is the one where they have to stick to the manifesto pledge? Yeah, you're really taking the neutral line there.

There is a difference between a government not sticking to a manifesto and an MP rebelling against a part he/she signed up too.

Oh and the did not promise to bring back fox hunting, they said they would have a free vote on it iirc.

Guest MattP
6 minutes ago, toddybad said:

More bullshit.

It pledged to hold a free vote on foxhunting (which they would have lost anyway given at least 70 Tories are anti) the social care plan died as soon as it was labelled a dementia tax - the Brexit policy was the flagship policy, if you cast your mind back she called the election to get a better mandate to go to Brussels with.

Seriously Toddy get a grip.

Guest MattP
23 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

It's still just manifesto pledges at the end of the day.  We all know they're only carrots on a stick, don't we?

Not the part you effectively called the election for.

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

Not the part you effectively called the election for.

So they get their mandate and then go to work on implementing plans that weren't in/contradict the manifesto.  The political cycle continues anew.

Honestly the whole thing's such a shitshow that I've stopped caring.  Obviously my preferred outcome re. Brexit won't happen, I've been resigned to that for a while now, and in general terms none of the parties, big or small, appeal to me at all right now so there's very little for me to get excited about in the political sphere.

Guest MattP
4 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

So they get their mandate and then go to work on implementing plans that weren't in/contradict the manifesto.  The political cycle continues anew.

Honestly the whole thing's such a shitshow that I've stopped caring.  Obviously my preferred outcome re. Brexit won't happen, I've been resigned to that for a while now, and in general terms none of the parties, big or small, appeal to me at all right now so there's very little for me to get excited about in the political sphere.

At least we can end in something we agree on!

Guest MattP
31 minutes ago, toddybad said:

What are the odds of the government falling tonight?

What on earth have you been drinking/smoking today?

Guest MattP

Government gets ERG amendments through by 305-302 - seriously close.

The Brexiteers are back in charge. Well played the Mogg.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Government gets ERG amendments through by 305-302 - seriously close.

The Brexiteers are back in charge. Well played the Mogg.

Don't get carried away old bean. It's not gonna happen.

Guest MattP
2 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Don't get carried away old bean. It's not gonna happen.

It's just happened now.

It's just happened now.

You say that every time there's a vote despite the fact it can all be negotiated away again. 

I think you've been triggered. 

This whole Brexit omnishambles is a bit too much for you i reckon. 

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, toddybad said:

You say that every time there's a vote despite the fact it can all be negotiated away again. 

I think you've been triggered. 

This whole Brexit omnishambles is a bit too much for you i reckon. 

The vote has passed, the ERG amendment is inserted into the white paper.

I honestly have no idea what you have been going on about for the last few hours.

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

I follow this ardently and I've never heard of Guto Bebb.

Tbf he can't be any worse than the defence secretary who I'd also never heard of until he got the job.

The vote has passed, the ERG amendment is inserted into the white paper.

I honestly have no idea what you have been going on about for the last few hours.

Inserted into the white paper.

Well that's really socking it to 'em.

Just now, toddybad said:

Tbf he can't be any worse than the defence secretary who I'd also never heard of until he got the job.

In fairness, Williamson has done more for the MoD in his short stint than Fallon or Hammond did in their entire tenures.