Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

Guest MattP

Two things we've learnt today.

The ERG has the power to change Brexit policy.

The Tory Remainers even when negotiating with the opposition are struggling to defeat the government. 

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

The Tory Remainers even when negotiating with the opposition are struggling to defeat the government. 

3. None of this matters given the deal won't pass through parliament.

Guest MattP
5 minutes ago, toddybad said:

3. None of this matters given the deal won't pass through parliament.

It matters massively.

It pretty much removes the option of May getting the ultra soft Brexit through parliament with Labour votes to cancel out the Brexiteer rebellion. 

Even Ken Clarke and Anna Soubry were backing it, that tells you all you need to know.

Can someone let me know what the "meaningful vote" actually is? Parliament can only vote against an agreement right (rather than having the choice between two or more options)? So if this does not get through Parliament, do we revert to no deal?

Edited by Beechey

2 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Can someone let me know what the "meaningful vote" actually is? Parliament can only vote against an agreement right (rather than having the choice between two or more options)? So if this does not get through Parliament, do we revert to no deal?

That is how I understand it, yes.

Guest MattP
2 minutes ago, Beechey said:

No one really knows yet lol at the minute that appears to be the process. 

4 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Somebody will introduce a bill to do something else. In fact, multiple people will. Parliament can ultimately force the government to do whatever it wants at any time, despite Matt's protestations. 

Though without a new bill, yes.

Edited by Guest

17 minutes ago, MattP said:

What would be more interesting is a remainer tory amendment. All we really know from tonight is that tory mps will vote for anything to avoid losing.

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, toddybad said:

What would be more interesting is a remainer tory amendment. All we really know from tonight is that tory mps will vote for anything to avoid losing.

They have put down loads of amendments, all been beaten except one.

Tories MP vote for Tory policy just to avoid losing? OK lol

The 3 Labour rebels actually got it through, Stringer, Field and Hoey - without them the government lose the vote.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

They have put down loads of amendments, all been beaten except one.

Tories MP vote for Tory policy just to avoid losing? OK lol

The 3 Labour rebels actually got it through, Stringer, Field and Hoey - without them the government lose the vote.

So far we haven't really got to an end game though. 

Would they vote through hard Brexit?

I doubt it.

Guest MattP
Just now, toddybad said:

So far we haven't really got to an end game though. 

Would they vote through hard Brexit?

I doubt it.

No idea, it shows yet again rebel numbers are lower than made out though.

One thing for sure, it stops ultra-soft Brexit.

Just now, MattP said:

No idea, it shows yet again rebel numbers are lower than made out though.

One thing for sure, it stops ultra-soft Brexit.

Are you sure?

You seem very sure.

I'm not so sure.

Ok, I'm bored now.

Matt needs to learn to stop replying I've only been posting to see how long he'll go on. 

The whole thing is boring now.

I'm going to go and speculate about how much we can sell musa for instead.

Guest MattP
8 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Are you sure?

You seem very sure.

I'm not so sure.

Well yes.

We keep hearing "upto 30" and not a single vote gets anywhere near that figure.

5 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Ok, I'm bored now.

Matt needs to learn to stop replying I've only been posting to see how long he'll go on. 

The whole thing is boring now.

I'm going to go and speculate about how much we can sell musa for instead.

giphy.gif

Many won't but I think Soubry has been magnificent over Brexit. This right here is the crux of it. She effectively calls out leaver lies. If what she says is true then the the refusal of leavers to admit the real choice is that put forward by what they call project fear is just abhorrent.

Brexit campaign group 'broke electoral law', says Electoral Commission

Brexit campaign group Vote Leave has been fined and referred to the police after an Electoral Commission probe said it broke electoral law.

The investigation found "significant evidence of joint working" between the group and another organisation - BeLeave - leading to it exceeding its spending limit by almost £500,000.

Vote Leave also returned an "incomplete and inaccurate spending report", with almost £234,501 reported incorrectly, and invoices missing for £12,849.99 of spending, the watchdog said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44856992

Guest MattP
2 hours ago, toddybad said:

Many won't but I think Soubry has been magnificent over Brexit. This right here is the crux of it. She effectively calls out leaver lies. If what she says is true then the the refusal of leavers to admit the real choice is that put forward by what they call project fear is just abhorrent.

Why did she stand on this Tory manifesto? She should just have stepped down. Just shouting personal insults and ranting about your own party upholding it's pledges is warped.

Her own association has had enough now anyway thankfully and she can go and join the Lib Dems before the next election.

Edited by MattP

24 minutes ago, MattP said:

Why did she stand on this Tory manifesto? She should just have stepped down. Just shouting personal insults and ranting about your own party upholding it's pledges is warped.

Her own association has had enough now anyway thankfully and she can go and join the Lib Dems before the next election.

Careful, you're in danger of sounding like a Corbynista with their deselections.

It's important for the Conservatives to have the range of voices to hold the government to account.  Let's be honest, the opposition aren't.