Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Louise

Douglas back for Watford?

Douglas Set to Return?

Leicester City boss Craig Levein is hoping to have Rab Douglas back between the sticks when the Foxes take on Watford this Saturday.

The Scottish international goalkeeper has been forced to miss City's last two Championship fixtures following a freak accident at home left him nursing an ankle injury.

But Douglas was back on the Belvoir Drive training pitches today (Monday) - and could be in line for an ahead of schedule return this weekend.

Levein said: "Rab has been out doing some handling work and is getting there. I am hopeful that he will play at the weekend.

"The injury is to his standing leg, so I'm not worried about the kicking aspect. It is whether he can land on his ankle or push off it."

Paul Henderson has proved to be a more than able deputy in the absence of Douglas, and Levein confirmed that he would have no qualms about playing the Australian again on Saturday if required.

He added: "Paul has done okay in the two games he has played, but he hasn't really had a hell of a lot to do in either of them if I am honest."

Tickets for the game at Vicarage Road are currently on general sale, priced at £17 for adults and £12 for concession. Tickets bought on the gate on matchday will cost £20 for adults and £15 for concessions.

link

Now the question is, if he's fit, would you put him back in? I have to say I don't think I have a strong opinion either way, Douglas has the experience and has made some great saves but has also made a few mistakes, Henderson is enthusiastic and generally quicker but hasn't really been tested yet...

Both are more than good enough for this league. Douglas has been solid since his opening two games and has made some quality saves. Henderson has looked sound when i've seen him recently and in the last two league games we've played he's only conceded one goal. Although he hasn't had alot to do, but did look commanding against Derby.

All in all, not overly arsed.

Stick with Henderson. I think he's looked a decent keeper and he's a lot quicker off his line than Rab. If a poor backpass has been played to Rab it has caused mayhem in the area whereas Henderson has just sprinted out and got rid. I hope we don't start to see Levein showing who his favourites are. I think Henderson should continue.

Both are more than good enough for this league. Douglas has been solid since his opening two games and has made some quality saves. Henderson has looked sound when i've seen him recently and in the last two league games we've played he's only conceded one goal. Although he hasn't had alot to do, but did look commanding against Derby.

All in all, not overly arsed.

Like your style Ric....me neither as long as whoevers in goal doesnt feck up.

Douglas is the number one and he hasn't done much wrong so if fit he should play,Henderson knows this,he still has a lot to learn so shouldn't take it as if he's been dropped.

Look at it the other way you drop Douglas he's pissed off,Henderson has a bad game,he gets dropped now you've pissed them both off.The last thing we need is two pissed off keepers

Douglas is the number one and he hasn't done much wrong so if fit he should play,Henderson knows this,he still has a lot to learn so shouldn't take it as if he's been dropped.

Look at it the other way you drop Douglas he's pissed off,Henderson has a bad game,he gets dropped now you've pissed them both off.The last thing we need is two pissed off keepers

That's true.

Firstly, I am not sure that he will be fully fit for Sat anyway...

Secondly, if he is not *really* fully fit (and I do mean FULLY fit), I would not play him.

Thirdly, if he is fully fit, Henderson remains a possibility:

Henderson made some great saves in training today.

Mind you, it was Conrad shooting :P

I think players kind of expect to fight for their places nowadays. Play Henderson, I say. Players play hard to keep their places, and the seconds try hard to impress in training to get into the starting line up.

Can only be a good thing I think!

I think players kind of expect to fight for their places nowadays. Play Henderson, I say. Players play hard to keep their places, and the seconds try hard to impress in training to get into the starting line up.

Can only be a good thing I think!

Well, that's what Levein thinks (and some of the players, namely McCarhty, have echoed that in interviews).

According to this old guy I was talking to today though (a Leic city fan for over 40 years), stability is paramount and more important that this competition business. Players need to play together to "jell" properly as a team - he was saying - you cannot keep changing the players around. It does not make the team strong.

Having said that, I agree with you on this one (keeper) :)

Keeping a settled side is a much underestimated factor in playing winning football.

The problem today is that with biggish squads costing biggish money and with five available substitutes there is always the temptation to keep everyone involved a) because it helps keep them happy and b) because it justifies having to pay them.

I think five subs causes all sorts of problems. Too many decent players not getting a game each week, tactical time-wasting ploys especially in the second half, substitutions for the sake of it, disharmony among the unfavoured overspill and more.

Endless substitutions also upset the originally selected players. A chap on two goals can't complete his hat-trick cos the boss decides to give someone else 10 minutes of action. And how many times is a team playing controlled, settled football only to have a substitution prompt a momentary loss of concentration, or a moment's uncertainty which results in a goal being lost?.

Really it is easier to administer a smaller squad (not to say cheaper), to have Academy/Reserve players capable of moving up in the case of injury/serious loss of form and to stay abreast of the potential loan signings available if an emergency arises.

A settled team enables the club's playing system to fully develop so it becomes second nature. Players learn

instinctively how to find their team-mates and the bench players also become familiar with the system and so can fit in more easily than if the squad is constantly changed and adjusted.

A settled side also enables the manager to more easily spot and deal with weaknesses because there is little chance that an off-form player has been "thrown" by having newly introduced team-mates around him or by his unfamiliarity with a new system.

So, any weaknesses are obliterated swiftly and there is least upheaval in accompanying the dropped man's replacement.

A team style, a team spirit evolves and the manager then has only the relatively simple task of making minor adjustments because of specific circumstances.

Stick with Henderson. I think he's looked a decent keeper and he's a lot quicker off his line than Rab. If a poor backpass has been played to Rab it has caused mayhem in the area whereas Henderson has just sprinted out and got rid. I hope we don't start to see Levein showing who his favourites are. I think Henderson should continue.

My vote's for Henderson to continue - he's done nothing wrong, and Rab isn't so phenominally better that he deserves to come straight back into the side at the expense of a player who's done nothing really wrong.

Henderson - hes been playing decenlty lately

Agreed. Keep Henderson in.

i would keep henderson in. He has played well and takne his chance in the first team. Rab should be made to win his place back, in the same way that Henderson had been working hard. despite it took an injury to get a chance, Rab has to wait for the same oppourtunity or wait until Henderson has a poor game.

Either way, its going to be a tough choice for CL and i think just because of the Scottish connection he will play Rab!

Archived