Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gené and Tonic

Watford Match Thread

A win, and suddenly it's looking so, so much rosier. I just hope Levein sticks with the core of this side for the rest of the season. Making the odd changes, such as Sheehan and Hume coming in. And he also needs to start playing Gerrbrand as well.

A step in the wrong direction would be bringing Tiatto into the side, and Williams replacing Hughes.

tiatto will be back at some point, he's the captain and levein will feel required to play him.

as for gerrbrand he just isnt fit enough yet, remember he's behind the rest of the squad due to a couple of injuries

Are you happy now seeing as we won?

still though, how must Hume feel? he worked his socks off in the Derby game and come the next game, hes dropped. He must feel as if he has done somehting wrong in training but to me its as if CL is too hooked on the rotation thing in this league. They have just had a long break so there is no need to over do the changes. Ok, some worked today but i would have played Hume instead of Hammond, and i reckon we would have got a similar result.

still though, how must Hume feel? he worked his socks off in the Derby game and come the next game, hes dropped. He must feel as if he has done somehting wrong in training but to me its as if CL is too hooked on the rotation thing in this league. They have just had a long break so there is no need to over do the changes. Ok, some worked today but i would have played Hume instead of Hammond, and i reckon we would have got a similar result.

I think it's fair to say that CL will normally play MDV and either Hammond or Hume. One of his considerations may well be who we are playing, maybe he thought Hammond would cause more problems for Watford than Hume, HUme is also a perfect player to bring on when teams are tiring as he gets in amongst their feet and can turn them, where as Hammond is more a speed merchant. Remember that like Hughes and Gerrbrand (neither played 90mins), Hume is not yet 100% match fit, I read an article by him saying how much fitter everyone here was compared to him. Let's wait and see how things develop up front. I'm sure Hume will get a run eventually.

I think it's fair to say that CL will normally play MDV and either Hammond or Hume. One of his considerations may well be who we are playing, maybe he thought Hammond would cause more problems for Watford than Hume, HUme is also a perfect player to bring on when teams are tiring as he gets in amongst their feet and can turn them, where as Hammond is more a speed merchant. Remember that like Hughes and Gerrbrand (neither played 90mins), Hume is not yet 100% match fit, I read an article by him saying how much fitter everyone here was compared to him. Let's wait and see how things develop up front. I'm sure Hume will get a run eventually.

true and i agree with you, but you also have to remember that Hume has been playing first team football for a few seasons now and is sort of "match ready". However, Hammond has been floating in the reserves team and the odd game on loan etc, but this is his first "real" season where he has been involved in the first team week in week out. I dont think he has the experience or the sharpness as Hume will have. Of course, they will both improve as the season goes on and hopfully they will both be into the grove quickly. IMO, i think we will see the best of Hammond in the latter part of the season and even into next purely because he needs matches under his belt! whereas Hume will develop a lot quicker IMO. His game is there and he has all the requiered attributes to play in the Championship and all he needs to work on is his fitness. he needs to last the whole 90, and playing at the same standard for the whole 90! The only worry is how long this will take? It could take a few weeks, it could take a whole season, we will have to wait and see!

Is it because he was playing in league 1, or just because he'd had an injury. I'd have thought playing week in week out for Tranmere he'd be match fit from the off. It's a great thing to have those two to choose from. But I still feel we need a proven goal scorer, such as Pawel Abbott(maybe out of our price range but still, there are options out there: Tyson, Trundle, Fryatt)

Hammond needs to start scoring more regularly, he was bought to score goals, and he's only got 1 so far.

Although I do agree with you Hitesh, he should be given time.

Nice to see Chris Egerton reading this topic!

Why is everyone being so harsh on Jon Barber? Of course he is going to make mistakes when he has to speak constantly for 90 mins.

And we are now only 4 points from the playoff positions!! :D

Yep, this criticism of Jon Barber has gone overboard a bit. Yes he made a few mistakes today but give him a break. It's not like he has been commentating for long - this is his first season I believe. You can't expect him to be the next Motty or Barry Davies.

What helped us today was Levein fielding a balanced midfield. We had two out and out wingers maintaining width, with Hughes and Kisnorbo being asked to play in their proper positions. Hughes wasn't that effective though, he seems to be struggling with fitness. Plus, it's his first game in the centre of midfield this season.

MOTM was Kisnorbo, which I though I'd never say. :o He played the holding role in front of the back 4 and did a tremendous job. He covered plenty of ground and was quick in to the tackle, being the starting point for many of our attacks.

Apart from the mistake (where he let the ball bounce) Dublin was a rock at the back. McCarthy was very solid too, certainly less rash. However, we were exposed on our left side a number of times. Johansson was tucked in to close with his centrebacks, which often left Devlin and Chambers time and space to exploit that.

Hopefully we can field the same line up on Tuesday - we now need a settled line up to take us forward and build on this.

yea i think they payed arround £2M for him, why go there knowing you'll never play

Signing for ManU is a dream come true for most footballers. I'd sign for them if they wanted me! :P

Plus, it's all about the money ;)

Sorry about the critisism of barber, it was in the heat of the moment. :ph34r:

Sounds like we definately need Sheehan at left back, but I agree Levein should field the same line up if possible. (Although Dublin may need a rest, therefore Johannsson can push back to centre back, and Sheehan can slot in at left back.)

What helped us today was Levein fielding a balanced midfield. We had two out and out wingers maintaining width, with Hughes and Kisnorbo being asked to play in their proper positions. Hughes wasn't that effective though, he seems to be struggling with fitness. Plus, it's his first game in the centre of midfield this season.

Plus it seems that sometimes Hughes was unmarked but he was not passed the ball...

hard to be effective without the ball :)

Yep, this criticism of Jon Barber has gone overboard a bit. Yes he made a few mistakes today but give him a break. It's not like he has been commentating for long - this is his first season I believe. You can't expect him to be the next Motty or Barry Davies.

When you're listening to a match and someone says something stupid/incorrect of course you're going to comment on it. Mostly people were just joking about it though. The only time I can remember getting properly annoyed was when he said Hume had scored when he hadn't, which I feel is understandable, especially in the heat of the moment.

Signing for ManU is a dream come true for most footballers. I'd sign for them if they wanted me! :P

Plus, it's all about the money ;)

exactly! He may not ever play, but hes gonna make shit loads of money and also get to go on loan and play football.

Archived