Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

Now That's What I Call Music

I'm always interested in how things are made, even crappy chart compilations that I've never, ever bought (except as presents for my nieces):

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jun/23/generation-making-now-thats-what-i-call-music

I was thinking it was a bit strange why I never had one, but was probably because I used to tape (yes, one of those) the charts a lot and spent what little cash I had on individual artists' albums and Spectrum games.

These were INCREDIBLY popular in the 80s and 90s, and still pretty popular now by the sound of it

I was never into compilation albums. Out of 30 tracks there's be 5 I'd never heard of and 15 I'd heard of and didn't like. There was something uncool about them too, not that I was ever cool.

That said I think weve  got Now That's What I Called Christmas.

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

I was never into compilation albums. Out of 30 tracks there's be 5 I'd never heard of and 15 I'd heard of and didn't like. There was something uncool about them too, not that I was ever cool.

That said I think weve  got Now That's What I Called Christmas.

I think I bought 3 in a row for my niece without knowing a single track on any of them, which would suggest my withdrawal from popular culture has maybe gone a bit too far.

Looking at at the track listings of the older ones is a bit of a nostalgia trip though

I bought The Hits 1 and 2 compilation albums. I think they might have slightly predated Now That What I... albums (quick internet research show that Now was actually a year earlier), but never a bought a Now album.

• 4 weeks later...

A decade before NTWICM there ware record labels like Ronco & K-Tel, among others that gave us compilations such as "20 dynamic hits" "20 Chartbusters" "Souled out" etc. All by "original artists" Very much in the same format as NTWICM.

Prior to this (early 70s) pop pickers had to put up with extremely bad covers on albums like "Hot hits"  & "Top of the pops" where scantily clad ladies adorned the album cover, presumably to distract you from the music.