Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MrsJohnMurphy

Show us yer mix tape, homage to the humble cassette

Great selection there but tape 2 is ace. Janes Addiction to kick off is cool indeed and anything with Remedy on is a winner.

Spent a massive part of my youth making these but none have survived unfortunately. Was absolute master with the play and record buttons lol

• Like 1

Literally just been to Melton to get some old BASFs off a bloke on Freecycle. I've gone tape crazy over the last six months, notably picking up a fella's entire life recordings of 300+ tapes for free on the very same site. He'd just got around to digitising his collection so he wanted them to go to a good home, and I was daft enough to accept them all! There's no other format I know where anybody would be throwing out 300 albums worth of Prog, Classic Rock and Electronica on 80's D90s for free, and that's the joy of it - they're dirt cheap to collect, if not entirely free from the right people! Now Vinyl is back in the mainstream the days of easily picking up anything good for a low price are long gone - and besides, they take up a hell of a lot of space.
 :plancque:

It's culminated in finally getting a proper working deck during a hunt at Quorn Car Boot the other week. Nice little Sansui with a solid range and good recording capabilities.

Plays sweet as a nut and has an interesting history - the fella selling it lived on the road in Birstall where the house blew up in the gas explosion. He was helping their next door neighbour clear out their conservatory as it got wrecked by the blast, and this tape deck was amongst the stuff he got given to sell on. I figured that if it already survived an explosion it must be made of tough stuff. :thumbup:

Cassettes really are tempremental buggers to get working right in this day and age where the only good equipment available is 25-odd years old, but it's already taught me a few things about electronics getting into the gubbins of various Walkmans and Hi-Fis to service them lol

And yes, there's something immensely satisfying about making a Mixtape - you know it's unique to you. Half the fun of collecting is finding people's crappy old tapes at swapmeets and stuff and taking them home to decide if their music taste was good or terrible
 :claude:

Edited by bluesbrothers
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, The soup nazi said:

Great selection there but tape 2 is ace. Janes Addiction to kick off is cool indeed and anything with Remedy on is a winner.

Spent a massive part of my youth making these but none have survived unfortunately. Was absolute master with the play and record buttons lol

That's one of mine :D

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bluesbrothers said:

Good taste man - been a while since I heard Sexy Mexican Maid.

In fact, I might just use the Mother's Milk album to test these blanks I've just picked up! :thumbup:

Well I recorded a lot of that stuff off of @MrsJohnMurphy's CDs and LPs, so kudos to him too.

45 minutes ago, bluesbrothers said:

Literally just been to Melton to get some old BASFs off a bloke on Freecycle. I've gone tape crazy over the last six months, notably picking up a fella's entire life recordings of 300+ tapes for free on the very same site. He'd just got around to digitising his collection so he wanted them to go to a good home, and I was daft enough to accept them all! There's no other format I know where anybody would be throwing out 300 albums worth of Prog, Classic Rock and Electronica on 80's D90s for free, and that's the joy of it - they're dirt cheap to collect, if not entirely free from the right people! Now Vinyl is back in the mainstream the days of easily picking up anything good for a low price are long gone - and besides, they take up a hell of a lot of space.
 :plancque:

It's culminated in finally getting a proper working deck during a hunt at Quorn Car Boot the other week. Nice little Sansui with a solid range and good recording capabilities.

Plays sweet as a nut and has an interesting history - the fella selling it lived on the road in Birstall where the house blew up in the gas explosion. He was helping their next door neighbour clear out their conservatory as it got wrecked by the blast, and this tape deck was amongst the stuff he got given to sell on. I figured that if it already survived an explosion it must be made of tough stuff. :thumbup:

Cassettes really are tempremental buggers to get working right in this day and age where the only good equipment available is 25-odd years old, but it's already taught me a few things about electronics getting into the gubbins of various Walkmans and Hi-Fis to service them lol

And yes, there's something immensely satisfying about making a Mixtape - you know it's unique to you. Half the fun of collecting is finding people's crappy old tapes at swapmeets and stuff and taking them home to decide if their music taste was good or terrible
 :claude:

I know a couple of months ago I bought an entire collection of pre recorded albums 70s 80s rock, about 120 tapes for £2.50 at the A47 car boot

• 1 year later...

Two year old thread but pretty relevant.

I have just aquired an old reel to reel tape recorder along with 16 tapes. Most of them have recordings of 'Fluff'  Freeman giving chart rundowns from Pick of the Pops of the sixties - Not half! There are also some recordings of TV shows such as Ready Steady Go.

Great stuff.

Also, I have just been given a minidisc player and 20 odd discs filled with mixes.

Bloody awful - full of hip hop where virtually every song starts: Woah. Listen up you mother f**kers this n*gger has something to say so put your sh*t away and listen up.

I must be getting old. Awful. Awful. Awful.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes
  • Like 1