Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The Funeral

Leicester's squad have arrived back in England after attending the funeral of club owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha in Bangkok.

Srivaddhanaprabha, 60, was among five people killed when his helicopter crashed moments after taking off from the King Power Stadium following the match against West Ham on October 27.

The chairman was a hugely popular figure at the club and a large Leicester delegation including players and coaching staff travelled to Thailand for his funeral, which began on Saturday.

In total, 18 players attended part of the week-long ceremony at Wat Thepsirin temple, including Kasper Schmeichel, who witnessed the crashed outside the King Power Stadium.

Sky Sports News reporter Rob Dorsett reflects on the funeral of Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha and how Leicester move on from the tragic events of October 27…

Thousands of flowers, all perfectly white - Jasmin, Lilies, Lotus flowers, Orchids - lining the 100m bridge that leads to the Wat Debsirin Temple entrance. Elaborate displays that are constantly tended by armies of helpers. Every wilted petal quickly removed. No bloom left without water to drink, in temperatures exceeding 32 Celsius. Collections of incense sticks, burning constantly, are regularly replaced when spent. Entering the Temple where Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha lies is a sensory experience like no other.

Once inside the Temple, there is a huge portrait of Khun Vichai surrounded by yet more elaborate and spectacular floral displays, along with ceremonial fans offered by the great and the good of Thailand's families. The Thai Prime Minister has visited his funeral, so has the Thai Princess. The British Ambassador....Thailand's most capped player - the list of dignitaries goes on and on. And then there's the funeral casket - an 8ft high, solid gold eight-sided urn, given by the King of Thailand as the final resting place for a diminutive, humble, quiet man, whose importance to the world far outweighed his stature.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/11546036/who-will-fill-the-void-left-by-vichai-srivaddhanaprabha-at-leicester

Not that this is important, or even interesting, but my brain is wanting to work out the plan to combat jet lag for such a rapid trip.

I'm guessing the players were advised to stay on UK time. kipping on the sarurday flight over, bed about 5am local time sunday ' lnight' whilst there ....and then only sleeping during the latter half of the return flight.

• Like 1

I fly to Malaysia 4-5 times a year and trust me there is no cure for jet lag.  Keeping on UK time whilst there would mean eating at wierd times and going to bed at 3-4 am. It should be a night flight back which helps at it will land early in the morning UK time.  if they have a good rest Tomorrow they should be fine to train Thursday and Friday.

7 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

I fly to Malaysia 4-5 times a year and trust me there is no cure for jet lag.  Keeping on UK time whilst there would mean eating at wierd times and going to bed at 3-4 am. It should be a night flight back which helps at it will land early in the morning UK time.  if they have a good rest Tomorrow they should be fine to train Thursday and Friday.

That's what got me thinking. 

The occasional long haul I've done, I've suffered badly from jet lag  whilst away (largely that I'm a creature of habit by nature and actually find being away from Europe slightly unsettling) ....but slept like a log on my return. 

Early nights all round for the players tonight!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, slymunn said:

I some how ended up at part of the funeral..well later on in the evening when other people are allowed to pay respects.

Went down earlier in the day and ended up on Sky Sports talking to Rob.. he was actually really nice and had a decent chat with me and my wife.

Went closer to the temple where Vichai is and spoke to security/king power staff as I had a shirt I wanted to put down as I couldn't make it to the King Power before flying out to Thailand. 

I think they thought I came over especially for this so told us to come back at 8pm. We did but then got told 9 but was allowed to help yourself to the free food and drink that the King Power staff who came down for Vichai. 

Signed the book of condolences and then into the temple. The walk over the water to it and then to see the room and urn was just incredible. Hard to put into words but put my shirt down and paused for seconds and as I turned round, told to wait for a photo. A man came over and took our photo and said it's ok to turn round....As we did Top came over and said thank you for coming to pay respects. Had a little chat/handshake and left. Most surreal moments of my life.

Screenshot_20181107-224307_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20181107-224255_Gallery.jpg

Absolutely.  Awesome.  Thank you so much for sharing that.

Seven years and you've posted very sparingly ... but when you do, you make them count !  :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KingsX said:

Absolutely.  Awesome.  Thank you so much for sharing that.

Seven years and you've posted very sparingly ... but when you do, you make them count !  :thumbup:

Thank you for that!  :)

I use the forum more to keep in touch with things I can't always find out in Yorkshire..so don't always feel the need to post a lot if that makes sense. 

Just how I was allowed to be a part of this shows how great the whole family and King Power are and will be to the fans :)

• Like 1