Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Surplus LCFC kits donated & delivered to East African children

I am concerned about the global warming and carbon footprint of the flights by the RAF and the subsequent rise in sea level which may swamp the villages of these folk.

And the plastic bags they send them in getting up the nose of a turtle in the artic ocean

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

Clearly you've never been to Africa.

We've teamed up with a bunch of other clubs to donate left over/unsold shirts to children in need and the RAF have flown them over and you say its a publicity stunt and there's a greater need for those shirts in Leicester.

Honestly, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Of course there is PR involved else there would be no photos, no news item etc.  I am not saying its a bad thing they gave away the shirts, but lets be real, there is PR here.

5 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Of course there is PR involved else there would be no photos, no news item etc.  I am not saying its a bad thing they gave away the shirts, but lets be real, there is PR here.

I’ve not said there is no PR, I said it wasn’t a publicity stunt. Part of the agreement for each club donating shirts are photos of the recipients of the shirts. This is a business after all - there may be associated tax write offs and good publicity as a by product of the charity but it’s not the evil rich trying to look generous whilst watching the poor, starving, shirtless children of Leicester go without because some kids in Africa would make the king power brand look a little better.

On 05/06/2019 at 20:36, FIF said:

The fact those shirts are LCFC shirts mean nothing to a child in Africa. They would to a poor Leicester kid. It's a publicity stunt. If they need the publicity then give them to orphans or 1 parent kids etc...

The fact that they're shirts at all means they're probably worth more to a poor African kid than a poor Leicester kid. Poor in Leicester is public schooling, an not being able to buy nice things. Poor in Africa is no school, often no shirt at all depending on where they're going. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FIF said:

You're still on ignore Swan Lesta but from the quote I see you are still as gullible as ever.

Wow ?. Yes, I’m just spoon fed club PR and lap it up like a child.

Or alternatively, I’m not the child in this thread.

16 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

The fact that they're shirts at all means they're probably worth more to a poor African kid than a poor Leicester kid. Poor in Leicester is public schooling, an not being able to buy nice things. Poor in Africa is no school, often no shirt at all depending on where they're going. 

On the other hand, being poor in a rich country can be very problematic. It is often hidden and ignored because it is outside of the experience of most people. And there is often a blame culture attached (at least to the parents). And there is a constant cultural dynamic making assumptions that ignore individual poverty, thereby reinforcing it.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

On the other hand, being poor in a rich country can be very problematic. It is often hidden and ignored because it is outside of the experience of most people. And there is often a blame culture attached (at least to the parents). And there is a constant cultural dynamic making assumptions that ignore individual poverty, thereby reinforcing it.

Very true. However giving poor kids a football shirt isn’t going to change those dynamics either

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

Very true. However giving poor kids a football shirt isn’t going to change those dynamics either

Of course not - but it would establish a strong connection. A Premier League football club is an engine of vast wealth representing a community, in Leicester, that still has very considerable deprivation in many places. 

Kids caught up in that can feel socially and culturally excluded from the life around them. The football club can do a lot to bridge that gulf.

22 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Of course not - but it would establish a strong connection. A Premier League football club is an engine of vast wealth representing a community, in Leicester, that still has very considerable deprivation in many places. 

Kids caught up in that can feel socially and culturally excluded from the life around them. The football club can do a lot to bridge that gulf.

And are doing so. This is as well as not instead of.

42 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

And are doing so. This is as well as not instead of.

Maybe...Keep hearing a lot about how the football club and the owners are doing a lot for the local community. Have to say, I don't see much evidence of it.

There is SO much a vastly wealthy club - which Leicester are - could do for the community. Especially when that community carries the levels of deprivation that pretty large parts of Leicester do.

Sponsoring universities etc is very commendable, but has nothing to do with this question.

LCFC has good ownership compared to some, but consistently turns a pretty blind eye to the community surrounding it.

The East African thing is fine - and good PR - but there are many thousands of kids in Leicester who can't even dream of going to matches at the KP. 

If the club is sincere about addressing this issue, it could maybe start doing something about that.

3 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Don't disagree with that. But a t-shirt is more likely to help someone who has next to no clothes and of very poor quality, than someone who has clothes (maybe not great ones, but the quantity of cheap clothes available in the UK is fairly varied).

Guest Markyblue
2 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Maybe...Keep hearing a lot about how the football club and the owners are doing a lot for the local community. Have to say, I don't see much evidence of it.

There is SO much a vastly wealthy club - which Leicester are - could do for the community. Especially when that community carries the levels of deprivation that pretty large parts of Leicester do.

Sponsoring universities etc is very commendable, but has nothing to do with this question.

LCFC has good ownership compared to some, but consistently turns a pretty blind eye to the community surrounding it.

The East African thing is fine - and good PR - but there are many thousands of kids in Leicester who can't even dream of going to matches at the KP. 

If the club is sincere about addressing this issue, it could maybe start doing something about that.

Your sentiments are well intended but i would question a couple of things , firstly the owners and the club itself can never be a social services organisation thats down to the government and secondly many thousands of kids that cant dream of going to the kp,really this is Leicester your talking about kids think they are poor if they haven't got 400 pound phones.

8 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

Your sentiments are well intended but i would question a couple of things , firstly the owners and the club itself can never be a social services organisation thats down to the government and secondly many thousands of kids that cant dream of going to the kp,really this is Leicester your talking about kids think they are poor if they haven't got 400 pound phones.

I'm not saying it's the club's job to address this issue. But it is an entity that carries massive weight in the community. As such, it could engage much more with that community at little overall cost to itself.

It Is the government's job to do this, but let's face it - it's not even beginning to...

And I have to say, your characterisation of poverty in Leicester sounds a little glib.  There is a lot of hidden deprivation in this city which goes under the radar - mostly ignored or even demonised by the media (and government unfortunately)  - but which is actually widespread and often very damaging.

Guest Markyblue
6 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

I'm not saying it's the club's job to address this issue. But it is an entity that carries massive weight in the community. As such, it could engage much more with that community at little overall cost to itself.

It Is the government's job to do this, but let's face it - it's not even beginning to...

And I have to say, your characterisation of poverty in Leicester sounds a little glib.  There is a lot of hidden deprivation in this city which goes under the radar - mostly ignored or even demonised by the media (and government unfortunately)  - but which is actually widespread and often very damaging.

Never here to argue with you and certainly not glib about poverty in Leicester, born in the west end slums in the 60s and then a council estate boy dont live in Leicestershire now but we have progressed massively but no doubt still many problems. 

3 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Leicester City do plenty in the community. There actually isn’t that much finance to spare. I believe the profit the club made last year was £2m. There must be other businesses in the county doing that who don’t do as much as the club. 

4 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

Never here to argue with you and certainly not glib about poverty in Leicester, born in the west end slums in the 60s and then a council estate boy dont live in Leicestershire now but we have progressed massively but no doubt still many problems. 

Totally - and no more am I. And as a society we have progressed in some ways; but in others we've sadly regressed. Especially in terms of social mobility, which is maybe as bad as it's been since the war, in things like homelessness which is rocketing - partly because of the lack of social or affordable housing and the meanness and difficult of the benefit system (whatever the media say). And the damaging austerity measures of the government .

But blimey, this is a football forum and not really the time or place.

I was only making a point...