Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Nicknames

With me calling him Gold-Smith cos he's 24-carat as far as I'm concerned (after listening to Ric's near-spellbound assessment) and Ric favouring "Smudger" after Alan Smith, I suppose we ought to settle on one name or another.

I get the impression Smudger is the strong favourite but would appreciate a viewpoint because anyone with a name like Smith has got to have a nickname to give him any sort of folklore identity.

It's just that, well Alan Smith, was a unique and legendary player for City, so good in fact that I believe he should retain his own nickname as unique to him.

Also, would Ryan Smith want to be an Alan Smith mark 11 cos I know I wouldn't? From Ric's description they are not similar players (except for their brilliance) and I kind of imagine that Ryan would rather have his own tag of admiration. From what Ric says he is the nearest thing to George Best we are ever likely to get down here.

So "Smudger", Gold-Smith or even something different like Ryan Express or Pirate Ryan? I'll certainly we happy to go with the flow but I'd like to hear some viewpoints.

Archived