Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HesNotGudjonsonn2

Fruit Machines - give me a mantra!

Quick one here, quick I hope.

i wish to avoid all the responses of just don’t do it, don’t be an idiot and all that.

I want to know if anyone has a mantra in this head that stays there and so they don’t put a £1 in a fruit machine.

I hate the fact that I put £250 in one tonight with a jackpot of £100 and it didn’t even give me anything. It just took me.

I know it’s a mug’s game. I know you won’t win but we all have our issues and so I hope that someone on here has something they just tell themselves that prevents them from going on. A kind of subliminal thing.

here’s hoping.

thanks 

I don't gamble a lot and even when I do it's only ever  £5/£10 on European football so can't offer much but I tend to read the forum more than post & in the gambling thread @Ric Flair always speaks really well on this topic so if he's willing I'm sure he'll offer some solid advice (as will others).

Best of luck with it.

37 minutes ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

i wish to avoid all the responses of just don’t do it, don’t be an idiot and all that.

I want to know if anyone has a mantra in this head that stays there and so they don’t put a £1 in a fruit machine.

I hate the fact that I put £250 in one tonight with a jackpot of £100 and it didn’t even give me anything. It just took me.

I know it’s a mug’s game. I know you won’t win but we all have our issues and so I hope that someone on here has something they just tell themselves that prevents them from going on. A kind of subliminal thing.

here’s hoping.

thanks 

I actually got addicted to the FOBT when I lived in New Zealand (they have them in every pub, and call them 'Pokies' because all you're doing is poking the screen). I would put in 20 dollars - about a tenner - and I'd usually get a few bucks back. The thrill of 5 rows of animated rabbits or whatever all lining up together, or some ridiculous combined algorithm that pays you back 10x what you put in. When I first arrived in NZ I had quite a few big wins - $200 here, $150 there. Biggest win was $480, which paid for a few nights out and rent etc. Once I even won enough to get a ticket to an England match at the Rugby World Cup - about half an hour before kick-off. Great stuff.

And it is a great feeling. So exciting. Until you start getting nothing back. For a couple of months I would make sure to always limit myself to $20, mainly because I was winning. Then I'd think, OK, $40. That's it. I won't take out more than $40. And then it was $60. And then I'd visit the ATM in the corner of the room at $3 a withdrawal. Months would go by where you'd be going from pub to pub night after night and winning nothing; losing everything you'd put in. I knew I'd developed a problem but there was always the chance of winning it back next time. 

What changed my perspective was one night in one of my regular pubs, I was sitting at one of the pokies and finally had a big win of about $300. For larger amounts you had to summon the barwoman to pay you out from the safe. She gave me the money, and I thought I'd go home. Maybe put another $20 in, just in case? Meanwhile behind me, a guy who I had recognised from another pub called the barwoman over. He'd won $2000. She paid him out, and about 20 minutes later, when I was down another $100, he'd put his $2000 back in and lost it all again. That opened my eyes. I didn't want to be that guy. The fact that I recognised him from another pub was bad enough. I cashed out whatever I'd won, went to the bottle shop and went home. I never went back and the only time I've gambled since was when an ITK on here said we were sacking Puel and bringing in Brendan, I signed up for a new betting account and used the 'free' cash they give you on sign up and won over £100. I've still got the free cash on that account but I can't foresee using it very soon.

I'd suggest you read through that thread Stan shared. Like the depression thread people are very open and very understanding. Ultimately the decision to stop gambling has to come from you.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

here’s hoping.

thanks 

You just have to give them up completely. I used to be the same, go to the pub, ignore all my mates and stick everything I had in the fruit machine and then leave. Say to yourself that's it I am done I don't play them anymore and ignore them. For a while you will want to go on them but eventually you will get to the point where you watch how much other people put in and realise your glad it's not you

10 hours ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

here’s hoping.

thanks 

Well done for fronting up and admitting there is a problem. The gambling addiction thread (which is pinned in the General Sport section) is worth a read.

I guess you posted this at a "low" last night after a big loss and a few beers? So today is the day to take action. Plenty of support here mate. You don't want to be back in that low place tonight, next weekend or anytime. Good luck

I’ve literally never put a £1 in a fruit machine. Just don’t understand it and I wouldn’t even know if I’d won anyway it’s all too confusing. I guess you either like it or you don’t rather than making a conscious decision not to use them.