Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Donk

Chess

Hello Everyone

Ive just started picking up the game of chess.

Just wondered if anyone enjoyed the game?

Ive joined lichess the website, and ive played 12 games so far but ive only won 3................15 min time limited chess.

I'm trying to learn some of the openings and defences like the Sicilian. How in depth do you need to learn these to be good?

Any feedback would be cool

I have played since I was young, play online a lot now. Chess.com is very good for that kind of thing, too.

Personally I play longer games where you have a day to make a move - drags things out some but it allows time for thought and I prefer it to blitz.

Openings are the bread-and-butter of chess, you have to know at least a few. You don't have to know many unless you're really looking at becoming master strength, but being equally at home with starting with 1.e4 or 1.d4 and knowing how you'll defend as Black against either is pretty integral.

There's numerous internet resources for learning about the game itself, but the best thing by far is to practise. Keep playing, and at the start you'll certainly lose many more than you win, but persevere, look back at each lost game and correct your errors, and you can increase your playing strength quickly!

Let me know if you have more questions.

I used to have a very high level before I moved to France but then moved to the countryside and was limited to postal chess, as the internet evolved the opportunity to play people from all over the world arrived but I lost interest as much of the time people used computer programs to help with their moves and tbh I like the mental play of facing someone over the board as well as blitz or blindfold chess with the kids.

You should learn as many openings as you can if you wish to play competitively as that will mean you can move so much faster at the beginning of a game. Especially if you get into the blitz format. It's also fun to learn an unusual opening. I always played the English in tournaments as it meant keeping most of the pieces on the board and therfore complicating the analysis. As a new player iss often better to look at openings where you can exchange a few pieces quickly and simplify the game.

What you really need to do is get in the habit of checking the possible moves of all the pieces, initially 2 moves ahead, then 3 then 4 etc... At the national level looking at least 10 moves ahead (all the permutations) was common. It really is a beautiful game.

9 minutes ago, Donk said:

I fancy that.

Bearing in mind im very much at beginner level though so go easy! Maybe when england is done

In chess, there's no such thing as "go easy".

Remember to control the centre of the board and hide your king behind a solid defense. Every move is important.

As others have said chess.com is very good, you will be able to play against players of 

a similar standard and if you subscribe they also have tutorials.

I like to play but I've never really progressed passed 1400 probably due not learning

openings (I find them very tedious).

15 hours ago, bovril said:

look for rozhen09 on chess.com

I just sent you a friend request on chess.com. I was actually stalking you so I could find out your rating but couldn't work out how to do it so maybe we can be friends instead?!

I am in the low 1,400's for 5 minute chess. Like someone else said I feel that if I am going to get any better I need to actually study the game. That said apparently even at 1,400 I am in 85th percentile so I can't be completely shit.

• Like 1