Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

FA Cup qualifying game abandoned due to Racial abuse

Listened to the managers interview on the way home from the game last night on 5live. Heartbreaking stuff, he was so passionate. So good to hear someone stood up to this and it sounds like Yeovil assisted well too.

My tuppenceworth:

1. I don't think the attitude of 'before we criticise others, we should get our own house in order first' actually helps. Instead, I think we should criticise all racist incidents wherever we find it. Whether the perpetrators are your kids, your parents, your mates, your boss, an English football fan, a Bulgarian football fan, whoever. There are correct-minded people in Bulgaria, the UK, and all over the world. Don't ignore them or leave them behind. This problem transcends borders and needs attacking from.all sides.

2. I think racists have always gone to games, even when we saw a reduction in incidents. It's just that when one incident occurs in the spotlight and garners a lot of coverage, some of these people feel emboldened and have a go themselves. And so the cycle continues. This is a societal problem that is manifesting itself in football crowds, which is a traditional outlet for tribal aggression. We all love a loud, boisterous atmosphere when a ground is really rocking. But racism has no place in it. The only thing I think that will really stop it is through continuous, relentless education through all mediums: TV, newspapers, online, school lessons, politics, everything.

3. Well done to Haringey and Yeovil for their actions yesterday. The more this happens, the more we can call out racists and racism. It may force some of these people underground again but if we keep it up and keep educating them, we can actually get somewhere.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Who said you’d been drinking, way your going off on one I was thinking something stronger. 😂 

Anyway, best to let the thread get back on topic.

paracetamol is about the strongest i go..

To cure racism i genuinely believe you have to make people feel silly for their attitude.

If found guilty of a racist offense then have the courts make them wear a his vis jacket or something that says "Im a racist. Ask my why" everywhere they go for 10 years.

Something to make their life so miserable it sinks in and they dont do it.

I'm not defending them and i'm not saying these people should go unpunished, but the majority of these people who commit these offences aren't racist, they're just thick, uneducated cretins who have heard this is doing the rounds in football recently and think it'll be funny to add to it. Much the same as these people who surf social media on 'fake accounts' thinking they can post anything with no consequences.

As touched on above though I don't understand anyone who goes to a football match and feels the need to do anything like this, throw objects, spit, etc.etc. Heck it even rages me when people do the willy puller gesture or stick two fingers up at an opposition player, all because he wears a different coloured shirt to the one you wear lol

To be honest the annoying thing is when these people aren't at a footy match and at work... they act so differently like butter wouldn't melt in their month. I remember a few weeks ago I went to watch Nuneaton Borough playing away at Tamworth, this guy who works at my place everyone goes on about what a warm, jokey character he is. Anyway he was at the game, completely sloshed spent the whole match mouth random abuse to the Tamworth goalie and also was gesturing towards the Tamworth fans. He was probably so pissed out of his skull he probably didn't  know what was happening in the game. After the match he was at the train station, singing and randomly shouting abuse things across the platform to just normal members of the public. When confronted by train staff on the platform have started giving them a abuse. Come Monday morning I seen him come, acting all friendly with people and there's me thinking if only they know...

It's seems like people just use a football match as an excuse to cause mischief and cause of that they can also say anything and get away with it. 

1 hour ago, Walkers said:

I'm not defending them and i'm not saying these people should go unpunished, but the majority of these people who commit these offences aren't racist, they're just thick, uneducated cretins who have heard this is doing the rounds in football recently and think it'll be funny to add to it. Much the same as these people who surf social media on 'fake accounts' thinking they can post anything with no consequences.

As touched on above though I don't understand anyone who goes to a football match and feels the need to do anything like this, throw objects, spit, etc.etc. Heck it even rages me when people do the willy puller gesture or stick two fingers up at an opposition player, all because he wears a different coloured shirt to the one you wear lol

what evidence is there to suggest this is anything but a hunch you have?

Two arrested in the West Country.

Doubt they'll see any jail time, unfortunately.

Ban them from all football grounds, name them, shame them and lets see how funny their lives become when their faces are plastered all over social media and the press and they've subsequently lost their dead-end jobs.