Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stripeyfox

Giving up / Cutting down on alcohol

I read back on my post on this thread whilst sober, and felt rather embarrassed. But it also made me think. I've made a bit of an effort since then, and managed 2 full dry days. With my drinking, I always find a reason to drink. Any sport on, either live or tv. Going out for a meal, shit day at work, gig, whatever it is, if the reason to justify it is in my head, i will drink, and drink a lot. So the 2 days I didn't drink, I didnt actually do much. No work, no commitments, and I didnt really even consider having a beer. Tonight, I had an alright day at work but I had a beer as soon as I got home, which has lead to 6. Which, for me, considering how quickly I drink, i feel is a bit of a win as it's now nearly 1am. I would usually put away a lot more. Obviously none would be better, but it's a start. Doesn't help that I get home at 8pm and everyone in my house is pissed..

When it comes to alcohol free beer, my main issue is the price. Why is it similarly priced to beer when there is no tax? I would probably buy it and try and trick myself with it if it wasnt so expensive. All alcohol free equivalents seem really expensive. I mean look at this alcohol free gin I saw in asda, 16 quid for alcohol free gin, ****ing joke! I mean what even is it????

20190226_115318.jpg

• Like 1

22 days sober for me, 1st week was hard as i drink wine or vodka 4/5 times a week in the evenings. Its fine now and boy am i sleeping well, i get tired.. goto bed...fall sleep and wake up early feeling really refreshed. 

The hardest part for me is when we are playing as i love a few tins or a bottle of wine to down whilst watching the game. Sadly i have had to put back social events and going out as i know for sure i won't be able to walk into a pub and drink something non-alcoholic, just doesn't seem right. 

When January is over i plan to TRY to just drink at weekends or social occasions, but i said the same last year so shall have to see how that goes.

Saved a shit ton of money, which is good as went a bit crazy on Xmas pressies this year. 

• Like 2

13 days for me - feel great to be honest. I'm not intending to come off it completely in future but I'm going to seriously cut down.

I'm surprised how comfortable I've found it as well, compared to gambling staying off the booze seems easy. I suppose a heroin addict would say that about gambling though in the grand scheme of it all.

Edited by MattP

Going ok for me. Mostly dry but have experimented with a more moderate drinking regime - i.e. the wife and I had a glass of wine on Sunday - but only one glass. 

Pretty pleased that I really enjoyed the glass of wine, but resisted temptation to have another, and then went back to having nothing Monday and Tuesday. 

Going out for a meal tonight (missing the match) and may have a drink with dinner, but again, plan is just the one.

I think I've demonstrated to myself that I don't need to drink 6 cans of lager every night and I'm benefiting from better sleep, felling brighter and fresher and not spending as much on drink.

• Like 2

Well done all.  Day 18 today!  Had a work dinner last night, had a coke and lots of water while others were on the beer.  Quite enjoyed leaving at a sensible time and getting home sober actually.  Usually I would have done a coue ofo beers and the best part of a bottle of wine on a work dinner.  Result!

4 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

22 days sober for me, 1st week was hard as i drink wine or vodka 4/5 times a week in the evenings. Its fine now and boy am i sleeping well, i get tired.. goto bed...fall sleep and wake up early feeling really refreshed. 

The hardest part for me is when we are playing as i love a few tins or a bottle of wine to down whilst watching the game. Sadly i have had to put back social events and going out as i know for sure i won't be able to walk into a pub and drink something non-alcoholic, just doesn't seem right. 

When January is over i plan to TRY to just drink at weekends or social occasions, but i said the same last year so shall have to see how that goes.

Saved a shit ton of money, which is good as went a bit crazy on Xmas pressies this year. 

Last year was my biggest drinking year, for a lot of reasons. I drank pretty much every day from the summer to NYE

Personal, work related stress and other stuff but i decided to do 6 weeks dry from January 2nd (couldn't do the first as i went to the races!!!) but I am now 21 days in without drinking anything at all and I feel great, i've even got back into the gym. 

I totally agree when the 6 weeks is done i'll focus on drinking Friday/Saturday or the odd social. It's cheaper (obviously) and i feel so much better for it.

• Like 1

Day 20 - No urges, even on football night. Weekend is still tough.

All those weird movements and odd pains I used to get in the chest and lower back are gone.

Roll on Friday 11pm though, I am looking forward to a glass.

15 hours ago, MattP said:

All those weird movements and odd pains I used to get in the chest and lower back are gone.

I'm pretty much the same, except my dry January will finish on Friday 31st as i can't put off going out another time, everyone thinks i've gone all weird. But it would have been my Dads birthday and he really enjoyed a drink so would be rude to celebrate it sober.  

• Like 1

Not totally dry this month, but have only had a drink on a couple of days (like when we went out for the wife's birthday) and on those days, have only had one drink. 

Feel much better and more relaxed. Sleeping better too, and although I still fancy a beer I'm much more comfortable with drinking once or twice a week, and even then only the odd one (or two).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MattP said:

I could have done with a drink to calm down after the game last night.  High stress.