Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stripeyfox

Giving up / Cutting down on alcohol

40 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

fair enough, you can grow plants indoors though without much trouble which essentially doubles the output no?

Yeah you can, but the linked piece isn’t really about all that anyway. It’s about things like palm oil, micro protein and the environmental impact it’s causing, such as deforestation. 

1 hour ago, whoareyaaa said:

fair enough, you can grow plants indoors though without much trouble which essentially doubles the output no?

25 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Yeah you can, but the linked piece isn’t really about all that anyway. It’s about things like palm oil, micro protein and the environmental impact it’s causing, such as deforestation. 

Interesting discussion - judging by that link there still seems to be a lot we don't know about the overall environmental impact caused by various diets. I'd hazard a guess that a purely or high meat diet still has a rather larger overall impact on the whole than a vegan one, but as with a lot of environmental issues I think the problem is one of logistics and efficiency, as opposed to simply "we don't have the resources". It's likely possible to support a omnivorous diet for most everyone on the Earth given correct management and emphasis on cutting out wasteful procedures for processing and delivering foodstuffs.

14 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Interesting discussion - judging by that link there still seems to be a lot we don't know about the overall environmental impact caused by various diets. I'd hazard a guess that a purely or high meat diet still has a rather larger overall impact on the whole than a vegan one, but as with a lot of environmental issues I think the problem is one of logistics and efficiency, as opposed to simply "we don't have the resources". It's likely possible to support a omnivorous diet for most everyone on the Earth given correct management and emphasis on cutting out wasteful procedures for processing and delivering foodstuffs.

Yeah it was a tongue in cheek remark initially to the fast increasing trend of veganism. 
However since then I’ve read the piece properly and there are definitely elements to consider. 
I think, if it’s environmental issues that are impacting your dietary choices. Local seasonal food is best. For that in this country you would need meat.

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Yeah it was a tongue in cheek remark initially to the fast increasing trend of veganism. 
However since then I’ve read the piece properly and there are definitely elements to consider. 
I think, if it’s environmental issues that are impacting your dietary choices. Local seasonal food is best. For that in this country you would need meat.

I'd certainly agree that local is best. In fact, given the advances in technology I'd posit that nowadays or very soon it would cost less to simulate the conditions necessary for growing any crop or rearing any food animal than to import such goods over large distances.

• Like 1

On 09/01/2020 at 10:55, Alf Bentley said:

Just to briefly put my Mr. Responsible hat on.....

Anyone who is drinking large amounts every day should get medical advice before "going cold turkey".

Stopping all alcohol in those circumstances without medical support can be seriously dangerous to your health.

If your body is physically dependent on alcohol, it can suffer dangerous reactions if alcohol is suddenly withdrawn. You might need to be weaned off under supervision in a hospital/rehab unit for a few days.

This happened to a friend of a friend: he'd been drinking heavily and continuously, went cold turkey - and had a brain seizure and died at age 49..... 

Very good advice for heavy drinkers. Something similar happened to an old friend of mine. Died very suddenly and I suspect he was trying the same. Having said that he was a seriously heavy drinker. I had known him to have a bottle of cider by his bed for when he woke up.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, enmac said:

Very good advice for heavy drinkers. Something similar happened to an old friend of mine. Died very suddenly and I suspect he was trying the same. Having said that he was a seriously heavy drinker. I had known him to have a bottle of cider by his bed for when he woke up.

I saw a guy get in his car in Aldi on Sunday morning just after they'd opened. He opened a big 2litre bottle of cider and glugged about 1/3 of the bottle down before driving off!

Edited by stripeyfox
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I’ve gone 13 days without a drink now.  longest break I've ever taken.

I’m feeling better, although I’ve been unwell this week, so it’s rather taken my mind off everything.

This evening was probably the first time since watching the Villa game I’ve felt like a drink.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I’ve gone 13 days without a drink now  ...   I’ve been unwell this week ....   I’ve felt like a drink.

Join the bloody dots Jon lad  !! ...   get out of this thread, go home, have a beer, start wearing  a crucifix, and put garlic round your front door.      If any of them come calling give me a shout and I’ll be round straight away and hammer an empty beer bottle through their ungodly hearts ...  :mad:

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Join the bloody dots Jon lad  !! ...   get out of this thread, go home, have a beer, start wearing  a crucifix, and put garlic round your front door.      If any of them come calling give me a shout and I’ll be round straight away and hammer an empty beer bottle through their ungodly hearts ...  :mad:

Despite your willingness to offer supportive services, I’m beginning to feel this may be the wrong thread for you buddy.

• Haha 3

Ten days off it so far, feel good.

Completed the Sir Lancelot crossword in the MoS as well today.  I imagine the two things are connected.

Tomorrow will be a struggle, will be drinking the Becks Blue during the football.

43 minutes ago, MattP said:

Ten days off it so far, feel good.

Completed the Sir Lancelot crossword in the MoS as well today.  I imagine the two things are connected.

Tomorrow will be a struggle, will be drinking the Becks Blue during the football.

out of interest, why? becks as a normal beer isn't very nice, becks as a fake beer is even worse. 

alcohol free beer is the craziest thing i've ever seen in a shop i reckon. it's horrible and it doesn't even get you drunk? why not drink something nice like coke or orangina bro 

11 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

out of interest, why? becks as a normal beer isn't very nice, becks as a fake beer is even worse. 

alcohol free beer is the craziest thing i've ever seen in a shop i reckon. it's horrible and it doesn't even get you drunk? why not drink something nice like coke or orangina bro 

replacing alcohol with a crap tonne of sugar? might as well just go back to drinking booze. 

12 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

replacing alcohol with a crap tonne of sugar? might as well just go back to drinking booze. 

yeah that’s why it tastes nice duh. 

water then. fu cking fruit juice. literally anything at all except for alcohol free beer. 

8 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

yeah that’s why it tastes nice duh. 

water then. fu cking fruit juice. literally anything at all except for alcohol free beer. 

Yeah I had never purchased an alcohol free beer (apart from an embarrassing incident in Olivers nightclub in Stamford in 1990 when I was drinking Barbican lager because I thought it was a trendy new bottled beer!). But.... during my attempt to cut down on drinking this month, the alcohol free lager has been a help - maybe some kind of placebo effect. I only have the odd one or two but it sort of "feels" like I'm having a beer. It looks like a beer, it tastes like a beer (more or less). It's not perfect but I'd sooner drink that than a pint of cola or Fanta!

Was really tempted to cave in last night. Had the voice of @Countryfox in my head - the devil on my shoulder!

The kids had been doing my head in all day and whilst they were having tea I had a few hours before the missus got home - this is classic time to sink a few beers, especially on a Saturday night. BUT I managed to resist and this morning I am glad I did! 

It is the missus birthday in the week and we're going to go out so I might treat myself to a couple of drinks that night Maybe.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Was really tempted to cave in last night. Had the voice of @Countryfox in my head - the devil on my shoulder!

The kids had been doing my head in all day and whilst they were having tea I had a few hours before the missus got home - this is classic time to sink a few beers, especially on a Saturday night. BUT I managed to resist and this morning I am glad I did! 

It is the missus birthday in the week and we're going to go out so I might treat myself to a couple of drinks that night Maybe.

Well done Stripey ..    I admire your willpower and you should be proud of that ...   cus when it comes to beer, I have none ..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Satan wears orange shorts.

12 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Well done Stripey ..    I admire your willpower and you should be proud of that ...   cus when it comes to beer, I have none ..

That's because you drank it all, mate. 

• Haha 1

I reluctantly stopped last year some time. I had to, it was increasingly ****ing with my head and it eventually became too much. I had no idea how I was going to be after a few and decided I no longer wanted to risk it. At the time, it was a really difficult call. I didn't drink often but when I did, I enjoyed the descent into sillyness. So giving up was a tough call.

Friends found it difficult too, and despite me saying I didn't drink, they continued to offer. Weird.

But it's easier now and whilst I do have moments of nostalgia for boozy nights, I know on balance it was the right thing to do.

I didn't get aggressive or argumentative, or anything like. In fact, quite the opposite. I'd go quiet, my head would tighten up and everything became distant. My thoughts became bleak, it really was the polar opposite to what drinking was normally like for me. It was no fun. I had to stop.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

It brings some normality to a very different situation. 

From the alcohol free ones I've tried Becks and Heineken have been the most bearable.