Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

City of Leicester & Leicestershire - The Good and Historical Stuff

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, WarehamFox said:

Can anyone point out what part of Humberstone Road this is today?

My feeling is that it's as you leave the town as there were a lot of shops on the left back then, It looks like the road curves to the right in the distance which makes me think it's where Dysart Way now joins Humberstone Road

image.thumb.png.0de6e308d46e173deb100336e2f83fdf.png

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, davieG said:

My feeling is that it's as you leave the town as there were a lot of shops on the left back then, It looks like the road curves to the right in the distance which makes me think it's where Dysart Way now joins Humberstone Road

image.thumb.png.0de6e308d46e173deb100336e2f83fdf.png

Think you're right the building at the end was a Pub/hotel but I can't remember the name.

23 minutes ago, WarehamFox said:

Well that wall was a war memorial and replaced with the current one! I’m sure it’s for the world wars. 

In 1917(yes that date) a temporary the one in the photo war memorial was erected to all those who died in the inappropriately named Great War. This was replaced in 1925 by Lutyens’s memorial on Victoria Park, although the temporary one was not taken down until 1954ish. Boer war memorial on north east corner was first commissioned in 1903 but not built for some years.

image.png.c6a6542a1534baa1415ac5ddc24e0caa.png

Suggested for you  ·   · 

The Leicestershire Agricultural Society headquarters on Saffron Lane, c.1950’s.
Not too long after, this became the site of the Saffron Lane Sports Centre which opened on 6th May 1967. To complement this, the 3,100-seat Leicester Velodrome was constructed between 1968-1969 to host the track events of the 1970 World Cycling Championships. The entrance to it was where these Leicestershire Agricultural Society offices once stood. The Leicester Velodrome was the national cycling track for twenty years until Manchester opened the country's first indoor velodrome in 1994.
  • Like 1

image.png.559b8e771999e60e597fbd779d8214b7.png

An old view across St Nicholas Street to Dryad Handicrafts and other shopfronts.
Image from the Leicester & Leicestershire Record Office.
In 1907 Harry Hardy Peach (1874–1936) founded Dryad Handicrafts, which made and sold cane furniture. Their showroom was at 42 St Nicholas Street, Leicester. In 1912 they started Dryad Metalworks, the same year the company made deck chairs for the ill-fated RMS Titanic. Both firms quickly became recognised for their use of good design and workmanship. During the First World War the company supplied cane to a local hospital, so that wounded soldiers could make baskets to help them recover both physically and mentally. Seeing the educational benefits, Dryad started selling cane and other craft materials for use in schools.
Harry Peach was also a keen collector, and between 1907 and 1937 acquired nearly 3000 items of craftwork while travelling in Europe, Africa and Asia. The majority of his collections now forms The Dryad Collection at Leicester Museums and Galleries, with the finest examples of 20th century cane and basketwork in the UK.
Learn more about Dryad Handicrafts and the Collection on our new pages: https://storyofleicester.info/a-workin.../dryad-handicrafts/