Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

City of Leicester & Leicestershire - The Good and Historical Stuff

Since November, I've been commuting to Barrow from the north. That road down from Hoton offers some lovely views of Beacon Hill on the right and a glimpse of Prestwold Hall on the left. Really pleasant and makes you proud.

Anybody want to suggest a nicer stretch of road in the county?

BBC

'Biggest-ever' Leicester Comedy Festival launched

By Will Jefford
BBC News, Leicester
Leicester Comedy Festival has returned for the 31st time, bringing some of the biggest names in UK comedy to pubs and bars across the city.

Hundreds of performances will take place during the 18-day festival, which will start on Wednesday.

It will feature shows from patron Stewart Lee, as well as Romesh Ranganathan and Paul Sinha.

Festivals and programme director, Charlotte Laidet, said it would be their biggest festival ever.

More than 65 venues in Leicester, Market Harborough, Lutterworth, Mountsorrel and Coalville will host events during the festival.

Kevin Daniel, who became a comedian after seeing a flyer at the festival in 2019, will be performing his debut hour-long show.

"The festival has been a big part of my whole comedy journey since I started in 2019," he said.

"We're so lucky to have it here on our doorstep in the East Midlands. It's brilliant."

Maybe an unpopular opinion this but think this would be a very wasted idea.

It seems like Leicester has already got a lot of student accommodation already.

This is a decent, well-maintained building and should be used for something more appropriate personally.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-68267243?xtor=AL-73-[partner]-[BBC+England]-[headline]-[news]-[bizdev]-[isapi]&at_campaign=Social_Flow&at_campaign_type=owned&at_link_id=72FB11FE-C8D2-11EE-9310-EB46D0B4AF07&at_link_origin=bbcemt&at_format=link&at_medium=social&at_bbc_team=editorial&at_ptr_name=twitter&at_link_type=web_link

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Maybe an unpopular opinion this but think this would be a very wasted idea.

It seems like Leicester has already got a lot of student accommodation already.

This is a decent, well-maintained building and should be used for something more appropriate personally.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-68267243?xtor=AL-73-[partner]-[BBC+England]-[headline]-[news]-[bizdev]-[isapi]&at_campaign=Social_Flow&at_campaign_type=owned&at_link_id=72FB11FE-C8D2-11EE-9310-EB46D0B4AF07&at_link_origin=bbcemt&at_format=link&at_medium=social&at_bbc_team=editorial&at_ptr_name=twitter&at_link_type=web_link

Couldn't agree more.

It is ridiculous how much student accommodation is being created in our city.

There is a crying need for actual housing, yet so many existing buildings and even brown field sites are given over to student needs.

Hopefully it isn't the case, but if it transpired many years hence, that local politicians were receiving brown envelopes from the local universities, I for one wouldn't be surprised

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Hopefully it isn't the case, but if it transpired many years hence, that local politicians were receiving brown envelopes from the local universities, I for one wouldn't be surprised

Student accommodation these days is almost always built by private companies, not by universities.

And anyway most universities are in danger of going bankrupt; they can't afford to bribe anyone!

Edited by BertFill

1 minute ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Doesn't matter. They will be requesting permission re student accommodation. Who grants this permission?

You talked about hypothetical envelopes from universities; I was just pointing out that the hypothetical envelopes wouldn't be from universities, they'd be from property companies. I wasn't saying that local councils might not be able to be influenced...

2 minutes ago, BertFill said:

You talked about hypothetical envelopes from universities; I was just pointing out that the hypothetical envelopes wouldn't be from universities, they'd be from property companies. I wasn't saying that local councils might not be able to be influenced...

I take your point and perhaps I've watched too much Yes, Minster, but these thing have and will continue to happen, where institutions use their influence and other 'means' to get what they want. I would include esteemed learning institutions in that.

Student accommodation is needed in the city, students are needed within the city. To alleviate housing pressures eventually, build more purpose built accommodation rather than allow landlords to buy properties for investment, then renting it out to students. It’s a different matter whether that building is appropriate for student use, however its location certainly is.

2 hours ago, westernpark said:

build more purpose built accommodation rather than allow landlords to buy properties for investment, then renting it out to students.

Exactly this. Free up real houses for real people. Imagine Clarendon Park if instead of students it was filled with a mix of young couples, old people, familes with kids...

On 11/02/2024 at 15:21, BertFill said:

Exactly this. Free up real houses for real people. Imagine Clarendon Park if instead of students it was filled with a mix of young couples, old people, familes with kids...

Which is exactly how it was when I lived there with my parents in the early 90's.  I moved away and gradually over the years it became more and more of a student area.  Students moved in next door to my parents and, I'm afraid, were invariably noisy, messy and inconsiderate.  The landlord, of course, also did little to no maintenance on the property.  

My parents moved away as did many of their friends.

Students have to live somewhere, of course.  I think the University now has much stricter rules on anti-social behaviour by it's students in their housing, whether student accommodation or private landlord.  You can get kicked out of uni for it.  Whether that's had any impact I have no idea.  

SUNDAY 25TH FEBRUARY 6.30PM - SECULAR HALL - HUMBERSTONE GATE
This talk will trace the history of the Poor Law in Leicester from 1836 to the unemployed disturbances of 1921. It looks at the regime in Leicester’s workhouse and the poor law riots of the 1840s when the dragoons were brought into the town. It also looks at the prevailing social attitudes towards granting relief to the poor and the role of the Poor Law Guardians.

All welcome - admission free. Tea & biscuits. Donations welcome.

424866817_7084535041584013_5363879009177

• Like 3