Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

City of Leicester & Leicestershire - The Good and Historical Stuff

On 13/02/2024 at 16:37, davieG said:
SUNDAY 25TH FEBRUARY 6.30PM - SECULAR HALL - HUMBERSTONE GATE
This talk will trace the history of the Poor Law in Leicester from 1836 to the unemployed disturbances of 1921. It looks at the regime in Leicester’s workhouse and the poor law riots of the 1840s when the dragoons were brought into the town. It also looks at the prevailing social attitudes towards granting relief to the poor and the role of the Poor Law Guardians.

All welcome - admission free. Tea & biscuits. Donations welcome.

424866817_7084535041584013_5363879009177

By great chance, I will be in Leicester that weekend. I am sure this will be really interesting. Ned Newitt has written a previous book on Leicester, pictured below. It features the poorest districts in the city, which were progressively erased by slum clearance projects from the 1930s to the 1960s. My mum still lives in the county and this book was on her bookshelves for many months. Whenever she had visitors with previous family generations who had grown up in places like Wharf St and Sanvey Gate they would want to look through to see whether there were any photos of the street where their mum, gran, aunt or whatever used to live. Thanks for posting.

Slums of Leicester - Ned Newitt.jpg

On 21/08/2023 at 10:06, davieG said:

I think you're correct, I didn't really look at it properly

No photo description available.

Granby street

No photo description available.

Humberstone Gate

The Humberstone Gate Haymarket one replaced this magnificent building 

WA  Lea’s store, on the corner of  Humberstone Gate  and Charles Street, Leicester

A strange building - the top half is entirely fake!

CharlesStreet.thumb.jpg.788a878b76c46420863a914427abe170.jpg

428373906_791317599692922_76126179596511

Story of Leicester  · 

Follow
  · 
This 1959 photograph was taken roughly where the Burleys Way Flyover / roundabout is located now. Looking away from town towards the former St Marks Church, with many buildings in the foreground that were demolished as part of the creation of the inner ring road.
Did you use Rogers & Baxter Motors? Or maybe you remember the taste of Nestle's Cream?
Find out more about St Mark's Church: https://www.storyofleicester.info/.../st-mark-s-church.../
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Later to become the "notorious" Van Damme bar.

VAN DAMME Woodgate Leicester 1982 | Demolished. Originally t… | Flickr

When I attended Charles Keene College, we used to go to a lunchtime strip show there.

After one 'show', I was chatting to my mates when there was a tap on my shoulder. A lady said excuse me. I turned to see it was the stripper, still starkers though carrying her discarded costume.

Poor thing had to push through us to get changed in the ladies loo.

9 minutes ago, davieG said:

Give or take where the college is then, which makes sense as that way goes down to countesthorpe 

Would be hugely advantageous to Leicester economy if that line to Rugby (and then off to Northampton)  were re introduced. Ditto Coventry link. Ditto Ivanhoe line. But, alas, Leicester basically never ever gets central government funding. 

The new east west link at Bedford would be useful too, but you can imagine the trains will run anywhere but Leicester 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

Give or take where the college is then, which makes sense as that way goes down to countesthorpe 

Would be hugely advantageous to Leicester economy if that line to Rugby (and then off to Northampton)  were re introduced. Ditto Coventry link. Ditto Ivanhoe line. But, alas, Leicester basically never ever gets central government funding. 

The new east west link at Bedford would be useful too, but you can imagine the trains will run anywhere but Leicester 

Worst connected big city in the country.

I don't know if it's still the same but it used to cost more Leicester to London than both Derby and Nottingham to London.

On 21/02/2024 at 09:52, davieG said:

428601825_10232265962180980_396691819416

Leicester Old and New  · 
Join

· Rob Murray  ·   · 

Tudor hotel

417434214_414652161021546_86588430623245

A sad loss for me when the Tudor closed its doors for the last time in 2017, I was a regular for over 20 years.

Great corner local pub full of characters & free flowing chat.

Pool, darts, skittles, jukebox in the bar & more chilled in the lounge, decent beer & welcoming to non regulars, this type of pub is close to extinction.

Happy memories of a cracking boozer.

419488196_796646952493320_17260284110132

Story of Leicester  · 

Follow
Some more local street name history for you today...
During the Victorian period, builders constructing the terraced streets between Narborough Road and Western Road accidentally discovered a long-forgotten cemetery. Although they could not tell which period the skeletal remains were from, it was clear that they were ancient. To commemorate their discovery, the streets constructed over the cemetery were named Roman Street and Saxon Street. The surrounding streets continued this theme, with Celt, Briton, Gaul, and Norman Streets being named after other ancient peoples.
Archaeological excavations on the former Equity Shoes site between 2010 and 2015 found more burials. These, and the cemetery uncovered by the earlier builders, were identified as dating from the Roman period. The Western Road Cemetery, as it became known, sat on either side of the Fosse Way road as it approached the West Gate of Leicester's Roman town.
Image: credit - Landmark Information Group & Ordnance Survey © Crown Copyright