Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The People's Hero

Lawn Bowls

48 minutes ago, Simo86 said:

Quick bump for this thread.

How is everyone's season going? Have any other FT posters decided to give the game a go?

I've started playing again this year.  My club's open (though the bar isn't) and our membership is well down on a couple of years ago but it's great to get outside and play again.  Had a few friendlies against other clubs who are mostly in the same situation, they've been happy occasions with all of us missing the sport and social interactions that we had pre-pandemic.

On 10/06/2021 at 15:21, Crinklyfox said:

I've started playing again this year.  My club's open (though the bar isn't) and our membership is well down on a couple of years ago but it's great to get outside and play again.  Had a few friendlies against other clubs who are mostly in the same situation, they've been happy occasions with all of us missing the sport and social interactions that we had pre-pandemic.

Nice! Every club I've been to in Leicestershire this season has had it's bar open, so surprised to hear yours isn't. 

I've found it great to be back on the green again and getting some competitive action.

I'm through to the final of the county triples and a win it that will take me to the national finals at Leamington. Still got the chance to get qualify in the fours and family pairs too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm doing alright although massively let myself down tonight losing in our area singles. Haven't got out to bowl enough on grass. Most clubs not accepting guests to roll up and my home club is carpet. I never found the weight like he had and had taken woods which, on reflection, were just far too straight as he put the jack long every time and then I was stuffed for a 'way in'.

Still in plenty and enjoying it. Work gets in the way; but there we are. All my mates have done well which is excellent and I watched our county 4s win their game with the last bowl tonight; which is at divisional final stage.

If they make LEAM; I'm planning to go and support and finally meet Simo and put a picture in this thread.

Its a brilliant sport and Leicestershire are very strong as a county (stronger than my own - Kent) and I'd encourage all of you to get out and play because Leics has some excellent clubs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

How's it going, @Simo86 - keep us posted on the quest for Leam, mate!

We lost in the semi final of the fours, so no Leam in that for me buddy :cry:

We've still got the final of the trips to play next Sunday and are favourites to go through in that :fc: 

Through to the area final in the family pairs with the old man, which we play on Tuesday. A win in that takes us to the last 32 in England. Need to get to the quarters to get to Leam in that.

I had planned to play in the Middleton Cup for Leics this season as the format has changed. All due to play 3 in one of our rinks only for the better half to book weekends away for us and the kids on the 1st and 2nd round dates >_< I'm available for the quarters should we get that far and the manager wants to change it up lol

Glad you're enjoying mate and it would be great for our paths to cross on the green or in the Leam bar!

9 hours ago, Simo86 said:

We lost in the semi final of the fours, so no Leam in that for me buddy :cry:

We've still got the final of the trips to play next Sunday and are favourites to go through in that :fc: 

Through to the area final in the family pairs with the old man, which we play on Tuesday. A win in that takes us to the last 32 in England. Need to get to the quarters to get to Leam in that.

I had planned to play in the Middleton Cup for Leics this season as the format has changed. All due to play 3 in one of our rinks only for the better half to book weekends away for us and the kids on the 1st and 2nd round dates >_< I'm available for the quarters should we get that far and the manager wants to change it up lol

Glad you're enjoying mate and it would be great for our paths to cross on the green or in the Leam bar!

Struggling on grass this year mate as haven't gone away enough as work has been mental. That's a bit of an excuse, but I just haven't bowled away enough and its hurt me in the counties this year.

My hopes now rest on others as I reckon we have a decent shout at the top club and double 4s this year. We don't always have someone from the club make Leamington; but I might make the trip up to sample it if someone does this time round.

There's a bit of a cringey video of me out there now that Bowls England put out to encourage young people in to bowls. My 9 year old put one closer than Sian Honnor that day (Olympic medallist I think). God bless the artificial!

I’ve just googled Leamington Spa Bowls Club to see what the fuss is about. That looks absolutely class. 

Like In cricketing terms when we used to draw Kibworth in the cup. Just the best you could ever hope to play at. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/07/2021 at 16:16, The People&#x27;s Hero said:

How's it going, @Simo86 - keep us posted on the quest for Leam, mate!

Qualified for Leamington on Sunday in the triples. Leicestershire Triples Champions 2021 :yahoo:

Playing our last 32 match of the Family Pairs on Thursday against a pair from Lincs.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Simo86 said:

Qualified for Leamington on Sunday in the triples. Leicestershire Triples Champions 2021 :yahoo:

Playing our last 32 match of the Family Pairs on Thursday against a pair from Lincs.

Well done to you.

The only County Comp I'm still in is the Bert Cox which is very similar to the county double 4s (ie its identical!). I think it may be unique to Kent though? Despite being a county comp, you can't win your badge.

Leicestershire Triples Champions is an excellent achievement as I can tell you from an outside perspective that Leicestershire are considered a strong county (not sure how you see it?)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The People&#x27;s Hero said:

Well done to you.

The only County Comp I'm still in is the Bert Cox which is very similar to the county double 4s (ie its identical!). I think it may be unique to Kent though? Despite being a county comp, you can't win your badge.

Leicestershire Triples Champions is an excellent achievement as I can tell you from an outside perspective that Leicestershire are considered a strong county (not sure how you see it?)

Thanks pal.

Fingers crossed for you in that then! The only thing Leics have like that is an unbadged double rink. Our club is still in our County Club Championship (2 rinks at home, 2 rinks away). We play the quarters of that on Friday and should stand a good chance of winning it.

Yeah we were very happy to regain our title! We won it last in 2018. We got to the last 16 at Leam that year, so hoping to go a few further in 2021! 

I'd say we were a strong county for sure, we probably underachieve at Leam though.

Hopefully I can provide a positive update tomomorrow regarding the national family pairs!

12 hours ago, Simo86 said:

Thanks pal.

Fingers crossed for you in that then! The only thing Leics have like that is an unbadged double rink. Our club is still in our County Club Championship (2 rinks at home, 2 rinks away). We play the quarters of that on Friday and should stand a good chance of winning it.

Yeah we were very happy to regain our title! We won it last in 2018. We got to the last 16 at Leam that year, so hoping to go a few further in 2021! 

I'd say we were a strong county for sure, we probably underachieve at Leam though.

Hopefully I can provide a positive update tomomorrow regarding the national family pairs!

I may be up at Leam to follow one of my mates; but he has another two tough rounds of singles to get through yet! I've promised I'll head up and support this time around if he makes it (since I know I'll never get there myself!)

Top Club tonight against Appleyard who have some excellent bowlers so a tough ask.

• 2 weeks later...

Knocked out last night in the all England round of 32 in the family pairs. Gutted, but was not meant to be this year.

On to Leamington in the triples and fingers crossed we can go as far as possible and achieve something special!

• Like 1

Just now, Simo86 said:

Knocked out last night in the all England round of 32 in the family pairs. Gutted, but was not meant to be this year.

On to Leamington in the triples and fingers crossed we can go as far as possible and achieve something special!

I'm out of everything now mate; due to having to isolate. Bit gutted but there we are.

Best of luck at Leamington!

11 minutes ago, The People&#x27;s Hero said:

I'm out of everything now mate; due to having to isolate. Bit gutted but there we are.

Best of luck at Leamington!

That's rubbish mate! Hopefully next season is a bit more normal in every sense!

Thank you pal, I fancy our chances of doing something if we all bring our A game!

• 2 weeks later...

At Kent finals today at West Wickham. Covid and a patch of poor form meant here as spectator only. 

Our 4s have just won overall

My mate is playing now in the singles. 

Yesterday I was having a roll up with my son and the club were short of a player in a friendly. He filled in for his first game and so we had a 9 year old and 90 year old playing for us in the same match. 

What a sport. 

They do Fursty Ferret here. Sun has come out. Rob is 5-4 up. Life is good. 

• Like 2

On 15/06/2021 at 14:16, Simo86 said:

Nice! Every club I've been to in Leicestershire this season has had it's bar open, so surprised to hear yours isn't. 

I've found it great to be back on the green again and getting some competitive action.

I'm through to the final of the county triples and a win it that will take me to the national finals at Leamington. Still got the chance to get qualify in the fours and family pairs too.

Well done

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The People&#x27;s Hero said:

At Kent finals today at West Wickham. Covid and a patch of poor form meant here as spectator only. 

Our 4s have just won overall

My mate is playing now in the singles. 

Yesterday I was having a roll up with my son and the club were short of a player in a friendly. He filled in for his first game and so we had a 9 year old and 90 year old playing for us in the same match. 

What a sport. 

They do Fursty Ferret here. Sun has come out. Rob is 5-4 up. Life is good. 

Back at the home bar now. We are the Champions is on. Its been on for 40 minutes. We don't care. I'm drinking gin and strongbow as we're done all the lager, tonic and other mixers.

My typing is superb, isn't it?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/08/2021 at 23:00, The People&#x27;s Hero said:

Best of luck mate. Go and smash it!

Disappointed is an understatement. Lost 16-15 in the 1st round (2nd game of day 1). We went in to the last end 16-14…..I pulled the jack back with my 2nd bowl to leave us holding 3, their number 2 drew 2nd bowl, our skip then had a shot to make anything from 2-4 shots and had plenty of ways to do it just by being up……he was 2 yards short. Gutted 

3 hours ago, Simo86 said:

Disappointed is an understatement. Lost 16-15 in the 1st round (2nd game of day 1). We went in to the last end 16-14…..I pulled the jack back with my 2nd bowl to leave us holding 3, their number 2 drew 2nd bowl, our skip then had a shot to make anything from 2-4 shots and had plenty of ways to do it just by being up……he was 2 yards short. Gutted 

When you're down..... you gotta be up!

Sorry to hear it mate. Next year!