Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The People's Hero

Lawn Bowls

For you older ones.

My grandad was mustard and beat David Bryant a few times.

There was a young lad who used to go up the bowls club with his mum and dad.He  was itching to play and my grandad used to let him practice and then asked him if he wanted to play in the doubles league.

Turned out this lad later became World No1 and has been World Champion 4 times.Greg Harlow 

My nan and grandad went all over the country to support him like blue rinse football fans.

I also used to practice with my grandad,but I was crap!

Edited by cambridgefox

20 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Anyone else out there a lawn bowlist? 

I've been playing since the age of 10 (now 33). I'm very much a competitive player and qualify for the National Finals at Leamington on a regular basis, even managing a National Final there in 2017 (unfortunately losing).

• Like 2

Would highly recommend the sport, whether you be looking for the social side of the game or the competitive side.

If anyone is interested in giving it a go in the North West Leicestershire area give me a shout. I play for New Lount BC who are based in Coleorton. 

29 minutes ago, Simo86 said:

I've been playing since the age of 10 (now 33). I'm very much a competitive player and qualify for the National Finals at Leamington on a regular basis, even managing a National Final there in 2017 (unfortunately losing).

We should have a chat!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Simo86 said:

More than happy to :thumbup:

Missed out in the Counties last year, but had been planning a trip to Leam this year to support some mates; a number of whom play regularly for Kent.

It's been a bit rubbish this year and we're the only local club doing anything, so its all been inter-club stuff. Been good as I always lead and play singles, but I've been pushed to Skip in triples and fours and enjoyed it (although I do need swingier woods).

See you at Leamington sometime!

Just now, The People's Hero said:

Missed out in the Counties last year, but had been planning a trip to Leam this year to support some mates; a number of whom play regularly for Kent.

It's been a bit rubbish this year and we're the only local club doing anything, so its all been inter-club stuff. Been good as I always lead and play singles, but I've been pushed to Skip in triples and fours and enjoyed it (although I do need swingier woods).

See you at Leamington sometime!

I was there in the fours last year, but didn't do as well as we should have done. All four of us play Middleton Cup for Leicestershire. We just didn't get the rub of the green and it was so frustrating. I skip the majority of the time.

Yeah it's definitely been rubbish! My club opened the green up for roll ups, but that's it. There wasn't a massive amount of interest, so they've closed again to start the post season green maintenance.

I'm looking forward to next season (if we get the comps back). I've been very selective of what games I play, due to having a young family (and a mrs who moans at me for playing all the time lol), but I plan on playing a lot more next season after having a year off.

Yes definitely buddy!

14 minutes ago, Simo86 said:

I was there in the fours last year, but didn't do as well as we should have done. All four of us play Middleton Cup for Leicestershire. We just didn't get the rub of the green and it was so frustrating. I skip the majority of the time.

Yeah it's definitely been rubbish! My club opened the green up for roll ups, but that's it. There wasn't a massive amount of interest, so they've closed again to start the post season green maintenance.

I'm looking forward to next season (if we get the comps back). I've been very selective of what games I play, due to having a young family (and a mrs who moans at me for playing all the time lol), but I plan on playing a lot more next season after having a year off.

Yes definitely buddy!

I've played quite a lot this year but... all on artificial and in generally low quality inter-club situations.

Are Leicestershire strong as a county? Our lot played against that chap that BLACKBALL is about, think he plays for Dorset or whatever. They are unreal.

Just now, The People's Hero said:

I've played quite a lot this year but... all on artificial and in generally low quality inter-club situations.

Are Leicestershire strong as a county? Our lot played against that chap that BLACKBALL is about, think he plays for Dorset or whatever. They are unreal.

I've been for one chuck up by myself haha. That's enough for me until the comps are back. 

Ahh Mr Sanders plays for Devon. 

Yeah we're pretty strong to be fair. We won the Middleton Cup in 2018 beating Devon. Lost to them in the Semi Final last year though.

7 minutes ago, Simo86 said:

I've been for one chuck up by myself haha. That's enough for me until the comps are back. 

Ahh Mr Sanders plays for Devon. 

Yeah we're pretty strong to be fair. We won the Middleton Cup in 2018 beating Devon. Lost to them in the Semi Final last year though.

Nice one. You must be pretty strong mate. 

I didn't start until I was 32 or so, when I gave up cricket as I always played both days of the weekend and opening the batting and keeping just became too much for me. Thought I'd give bowls a quick go. Wish I'd started younger.

I coach more than I play now; helping adults at all levels (I'm level 2 qualified coach) but more usually taking either adult beginners or the youngsters. I've got my son started at age 7 and he's loving it.

I'll never be ultra competitive, but was looking forward to a good run at the unbadged singles this year; to be fair, I like the club bar a bit too much.

1 minute ago, egg_fried_rice said:

What is the general age spread you get at a bowls club? Obviously it has a reputation for being a sport for the older generation, but do you get many in their 20s, 30s, 40s etc?

The top 10 or 12 bowlers at my club are under 40, with the very best being under 30.

The good players tend to have started young. Its really important to 'get low' and some who have been excellent bowlers, remain good bowlers, but bad backs and knees tend to work against them.

So, most of my club's membership is over 60, but most of the best players are under 40. 

At National level, I believe this is even more the case, with a lot of the best players in their 20s and 30s. Simo86 is obviously on a completely different level to me, so he will be more qualified to comment.

5 hours ago, egg_fried_rice said:

What is the general age spread you get at a bowls club? Obviously it has a reputation for being a sport for the older generation, but do you get many in their 20s, 30s, 40s etc?

5 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

The top 10 or 12 bowlers at my club are under 40, with the very best being under 30.

The good players tend to have started young. Its really important to 'get low' and some who have been excellent bowlers, remain good bowlers, but bad backs and knees tend to work against them.

So, most of my club's membership is over 60, but most of the best players are under 40. 

At National level, I believe this is even more the case, with a lot of the best players in their 20s and 30s. Simo86 is obviously on a completely different level to me, so he will be more qualified to comment.

TPH has got it pretty much spot on to be fair.

At my club our membership ranges from 15 to the older generation. We are a very strong club on the competitive side of things with the majority of our top players being under 40. There are a few exceptions to that though, my dad is 64 and still playing at a high county level and qualifying for the national finals.

At national level it is very much around the under 40 mark, again with a few exceptions. Selectors are always looking for players with plenty of years left in them to build a core of the squad that will stay together for a number of year.

I've got national aspirations of my own, but it's very hard to displace players with high reputations, even when form doesn't warrant selection.

4 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

I know very little about bowls but I do remember sitting with my Grandad watching this guy play when I was younger. 

Sad news

Yes this is very sad news. 

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

How weird that just a few days after this random thread is started, the most famous lawn bowler dies. Spooky.

RIP David Bryant and his pipe.

indeed I should be more careful. 

• 9 months later...