Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Maddison, Evans and Ricardo

1 minute ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Does anyone have any information on his whereabouts or injury situation? Has anyone seen anything of him in training or otherwise?

Returned to full training this week, probably be in the mix for the cup game, maybe a sub appearance vs Burnley?

• Thanks 1

On 04/09/2020 at 05:12, Oxfordfox83 said:

It wasn’t hindsight though-we were all screaming for at least a winger and have been for years. 

Rodgers has bought nobody of note in his year+ in charge (YT was Puel), which is worrying. More worrying, our psyche seems desperately weak-we don’t try and score until we’ve conceded, and don’t show any urgency or inspiration before 80 minutes in games. 

This makes me worry that Rodgers is incapable of planning. Even if we squeeze another year of decent performance out of this squad, we’re going to be lacking people waiting in the wings to replace leavers, cover injuries etc. We should have announced the winger we’d spent all year identifying on 1st July, and the rest of this window should have been secretly buying an exciting 21 year old CM for Europa League, to step up when Maddison/Tielemans force a move next summer.

I don’t want to be sceptical about our manager, but Rodgers has made me nervous throughout his whole tenure here and the deafening silence this summer makes it seem like the winning streak was the blip.

Since when is it on the manager to buy players? Rodgers job is to identify the attributes/skills of players he needs to move the club forwards. Scouting then identifies the players. Top, Rudkin and the board are responsible for the planning of the club and transfers etc. at this club as far as I know. Rodgers is responsible for what goes on on the field. However I won't hold you back if you wish to make Rodgers the scapegoat for all that has or might go wrong off the field at the club. Is it just me or are we still living in the 90's.

Times have changed in the management of a football club.

Edited by SO1

2 hours ago, SheppyFox said:

Very concerned @Collymore 

How long does Brendan keep his job if we continue on end of season form, 10 games? 🤔 

It will take imminent relegation to get BR sacked. 

I think it'll be a similar season to the Champions League campaign -  league form will take a massive dip (I think we need to expect this) and our focus might be Europe and possibly the FA cup?  

As for Rodgers being under threat I don't think so...Rodgers is a different kettle of fish than Claudio for the following reasons.

1. Getting Rodgers in was a part of a wider goal of transforming the club in to a proper attractive footballing side so that in a few years you'll hear people saying "that team plays a bit like Leicester" so we become attributed to it.  I think under CR we didn't have that direction, yes, we achieved the impossible but I don't think he was ever brought in for the long term. In fact he just copied Big Nige and then the wheels started to fall off as soon as he started his 'tinkering' second season.

2.  Whether Top would admit it or not, I think the hammering he took for sacking CR in the footballing community as a whole would probably (at least sub consciously) afford BR a bit more time than 10 weeks if the wheels were truly to start falling off. You got to ask the question who else is out there that plays the "Brendan way" that'll do a better job than Brendan?  Puel was brilliant in some ways but had a total break down in communication with the players so a foreign coach isn't always the answer... I think also Top would start treading into the grounds of becoming a trigger happy owner if BR went quite quickly next season, a label not good for attracting new high calibre managers.

3. I think the pandemic has kind of skewed expectations a bit and might afford all managers a bit of leeway. It'll be an easy excuse for managers to use to blame it for a run of poor form and I'm sure we'll see a lot of clubs struggling in the new season. We as Leicester fans are in our own bubble of worry but we must remember other teams are having the same problems as us. The only thing is BR can't turn around and say "we're crap because of the pandemic" as his record before that was the absolute pits so perhaps he'll be under a bit more pressure than most.

4. Brendan would cost so much to sack. I'd imagine that new contract he signed would have made sure of that. 

He'll get more than 10 games, the only thing that will get him sacked would be imminent relegation if he isn't sacked, that kind of ticks all the  4 boxes above and justifies the decision: getting relegated would be more costly than sacking BR, getting relegated would give Top an easy 'no questions asked' sacking, getting relegated would mean there's 17 other clubs that have handled the pandemic better than you and getting relegated means that the transformation of the playing style is truly not working!

Edited by Collymore
  • Like 1

On 25/08/2020 at 20:31, Collymore said:

The odds are we are likely to have one more key player unavailable at the start of the season due to an injury picked up in preseason.

...how naive I was, this is Leicester after all. 

Should have read...

The odds are we are likely to have most of our midfield and new key signing unavailable at the start of the season due to sheer bad luck.