Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Maddison, Evans and Ricardo

35 minutes ago, Dames said:

WIth the amount of money we've made in transfers over the past few seasons from Maguire and Chilwell thats largely gone unspent this really shouldn't be the case.

I've been on the fence about Rodgers for a while now and this lack of urgency and action to address clear problems and weaknesses with the squad is extremely worrying.

I wasn’t necessarily referring to our finances more the balance in our squad.

it would not have been smart to buy Chilwells replacement until he went in case he didn’t! I think we’ll see a left back, centre back and attacker join in the next couple of weeks 

32 minutes ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

I wasn’t necessarily referring to our finances more the balance in our squad.

it would not have been smart to buy Chilwells replacement until he went in case he didn’t! I think we’ll see a left back, centre back and attacker join in the next couple of weeks 

I don’t think it would have been un-smart incase he didn’t go at all.

Do people not understand the lack of depth we have? People blame our 2nd half of the season for it, it played a massive part to our downturn in form - I think there was more too it than that - playing style also had a massive contribution.

However you can not get away from our lack of depth and not strengthening in our squad because we fear being in limbo - where in reality we’d lose Chilwell sooner or later, add to that Fuchs won’t be here much longer.

I just don’t get where we’re going as a club. Pound for pound in terms of achievements and sales from players I don’t know what we do with our money compared to teams of our size in terms of playing staff.

Who knows we might get needed players in during the next week or two, I hope we do, but these issues go back for the last few years. In comparison this window is currently worse than the one after we won the league (our biggest opportunity for a pull we’ve ever had, in theory this being our 2nd biggest opportunity) and we all know how bad the following season was, I must say we pulled ourselves back quite impressively I thought all the hard word had been thrown away given that season but as I keep saying about selling - it’ll only last for so long.

Ultimately our 11 is very good, strong, after that our squad is poor and depth is thin but we continue to sell, weakening our 11 without strengthening our squad, doesn’t take a rocket scientist work out it’ll only last so long before our luck runs out, I don’t wanna hear the excuses this season and all I can see is he excuses and reasons for excuses stacking up.

Edited by Matt

14 hours ago, Collymore said:

It ain't 1994 mate. 

No it's not 1994 but the same methods bring results. The mechanics of the game hasn't changed that much.

To use a golf analogy, It doesn't matter what Club you use the object is the same, get the ball in the hole.

When we needed a few points on the run in we had nobody to keep the Ball up top. That was a big mistake.

5 hours ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

We’ll be fine. Simply a case of shipping some out before bringing some in!

Fully expect 2 or 3 new faces for 1st game and then a couple more by the end of the window.

Everyone needs to relax! 

That's fully understandable, But with the Maguire money we could have got our first target at least in a Winger or Striker.

As to Chilwell everyone knew he wanted to go, so why are we only looking for his replacement now. We could have had a provisional deal done for a LB and announced it this morning.

It looks as if we're prepared the settle for the best of the rest. Which isn't good enough. Somebody is falling down on the job.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

That's fully understandable, But with the Maguire money we could have got our first target at least in a Winger or Striker.

As to Chilwell everyone knew he wanted to go, so why are we only looking for his replacement now. We could have had a provisional deal done for a LB and announced it this morning.

It looks as if we're prepared the settle for the best of the rest. Which isn't good enough. Somebody is falling down on the job.

Do you honestly believe we've only just started to look for replacements now? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Do you honestly believe we've only just started to look for replacements now? 

No of course not. Clubs are evaluating players all the time. But it is worrying that we haven't announced anyone yet, When we know we're looking for a Winger, Striker, Etc. 

We should have picked our Targets and done the deals early where possible. 

Pearson got his targets in early. and another thing I don't like is nobody knew who they were until Pearson signed them.

Now it seems that we're linked with every player out there.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

No of course not. Clubs are evaluating players all the time. But it is worrying that we haven't announced anyone yet, When we know we're looking for a Winger, Striker, Etc. 

Pearson got his targets in early. and another thing I don't like is nobody knew who they were until Pearson signed them.

I Like to get the players in for preseason - not rock up on sept 12th

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Clever Fox said:

The club don't link us with every player going, that's the press. The club can't be blamed for that. 

I don't think anyone really doubts were trying to get players in, but it's not just up to us. There's 3 weeks until the season starts, don't panic. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

You seriously think that Rodgers had the chance of getting in players early but decided to leave it till the last minute?

As mentioned above it's paper talk not someone at the club leaking our targets.

Go and get a cup of tea.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Webbo said:

The club don't link us with every player going, that's the press. The club can't be blamed for that. 

I don't think anyone really doubts were trying to get players in, but it's not just up to us. There's 3 weeks until the season starts, don't panic. 

Yes I understand that but can you explain why this never happened during Pearson's time.

It's not a question of panicking, It's more important to be ready for the start. I know we can field 11 players , but are they going to be the best 11 for next season and match fit etc. We're lucky we have a few '' winable '' games to start with. 

Can you imagine the reaction if West Brom turn us over in the first game.

25 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

You seriously think that Rodgers had the chance of getting in players early but decided to leave it till the last minute?

As mentioned above it's paper talk not someone at the club leaking our targets.

Go and get a cup of tea.

Yes definitely,  Unless we're going for top class players like Coutinho. Then I understand they may be holding out for better offers from the bigger clubs.

A cup of Tea sounds like a good idea, I'll put the kettle on now.

Edited by Clever Fox

5 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Yes I understand that but can you explain why this never happened during Pearson's time.

It's not a question of panicking, It's more important to be ready for the start. I know we can field 11 players , but are they going to be the best 11 for next season and match fit etc. We're lucky we have a few '' winable '' games to start with. 

Can you imagine the reaction if West Brom turn us over in the first game.

I can't remember what happened during the Pearson era, but if we're talking about the championship we'd be looking at a different grade of player from a different grade of club. 

• Like 2

On 25/08/2020 at 20:31, Collymore said:

All set to miss at least the first 3 games of the season (obviously Chilwell will go) 

The odds are we are likely to have one more key player unavailable at the start of the season due to an injury picked up in preseason.

That's half of the team potentially weakened compared to where we were 12 months a go. 

Even if we do get players in they will take time to integrate and find their feet no doubt. 

Anyone else a bit concerned that we could get off to a shocker?

Tielemans for Madders, Benko for Evans and JJ for Ricky

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Are you talking about us being linked with players?

That it never happened under Pearson?

Perhaps because we're a much higher profile club nowadays.

Social media and clickbait are also more widespread nowadays.

Sounds like another case of 'everything was better when Big Nige was at the helm'.

3 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Are you talking about us being linked with players?

That it never happened under Pearson?

Perhaps because we're a much higher profile club nowadays.

Social media and clickbait are also more widespread nowadays.

Sounds like another case of 'everything was better when Big Nige was at the helm'.

Certainly the structures at the club were. Did you ever hear the team being leaked the day before matches.

15 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Certainly the structures at the club were. Did you ever hear the team being leaked the day before matches.

There's a lot of people looking for negatives at the club right now. You and I are just guessing at how things work at the club. The leaking of the team was almost certainly down to one employee and nothing to do with the structures of the club.

Pre Christmas everything was perfect we had the best owners in the world, a fantastic manager and a team who were capable of beating anyone and everyone.

Now our owners are out to screw us over for £70, the club and owners are skint, we've become a selling club, the manager is a clueless fraud and every player has thrown in the towel and wants to leave the club.

Somewhere between those two extremes ......

2 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

Sol TheWall Bamba posted this in another thread:

Remember when NFP said we'd pulled out of the Ulloa deal only for him to be pictured with the shirt a few days later.

Selective memory?

2 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

There's a lot of people looking for negatives at the club right now. You and I are just guessing at how things work at the club. The leaking of the team was almost certainly down to one employee and nothing to do with the structures of the club.

Pre Christmas everything was perfect we had the best owners in the world, a fantastic manager and a team who were capable of beating anyone and everyone.

Now our owners are out to screw us over for £70, the club and owners are skint, we've become a selling club, the manager is a clueless fraud and every player has thrown in the towel and wants to leave the club.

Somewhere between those two extremes ......

Most of that is totally wrong. Most Fans are looking for something positive right now. they're feeling a little hurt by the collapse of the Team after the restart. They're worried things will continue in the same manner with the season upon us.

A new signing would lift Spirits, Though Madders signing a new contract is a plus.

We have the best Owners in the league and I wouldn't swap them for any other owners at other clubs. That doesn't mean they haven't made mistakes. That started with allowing Ranieri get rid of some of the Sports science team.

I'd say that the £70 was a Corporate decision more than the Owners which I'm sure they will rectify.

We're certainly not skint and I fully understand the need to sell a player while we grow the club further. The new training ground alone justifies that.

I've never said we are a selling club or that Brendan is clueless, But he has made strange decisions which have cost us heavily. Like not signing another Striker last Summer or failing to see the obvious lack of Balance in the Team. Or faiing to effect change in games were we were struggling. Or having an alternative plan B.

I'm also aware he needs time to address these issues. So far we haven't seen any sign he is.

Giving Contracts to players he wouldn't play last season all look a little strange. 

He is a good Coach, A good Manager a lot of fans are still waiting to be convinced. The next 3 weeks will tell a lot.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Sol TheWall Bamba posted this in another thread:

Remember when NFP said we'd pulled out of the Ulloa deal only for him to be pictured with the shirt a few days later.

Selective memory?

I don't really see what this has to do with the current situation.

If I can remember that signing Pearson had agreed the deal with Ulloa only for his Agent trying to get more money.

Pearson said no and was prepared to walk away. That's the strength of the Man.

He had his faults also. How to run a Club wasn't one of them. 

10 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

would have thought this was perfect for Benkovic, after all we did spend a few million on him and he's been here for 2 seasons now and not played. He's looked good the few minutes I've seen him play. If we were to bring in another CB he'd be behind Soyuncu and Evans and probably Morgan.

He could be our regular Europa league CB ..... that way he could manage to stay fit !   I wish he could fulfil his potential here  but at this stage,  it looks as though injuries won’t allow it 

34 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

would have thought this was perfect for Benkovic, after all we did spend a few million on him and he's been here for 2 seasons now and not played. He's looked good the few minutes I've seen him play. If we were to bring in another CB he'd be behind Soyuncu and Evans and probably Morgan.

Agree. This time last year, Soyuncu was considered by most not to be up to the mark, but guess what, given the chance and the rest is history.  If we start with Morgan, it will end in a disaster. Great to have around the squad yes, but not in it any longer.  Benkovic needs to be given a chance and this could save us millions on a replacement CB, which can then be spent elsewhere.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Agree. This time last year, Soyuncu was considered by most not to be up to the mark, but guess what, given the chance and the rest is history.  If we start with Morgan, it will end in a disaster. Great to have around the squad yes, but not in it any longer.  Benkovic needs to be given a chance and this could save us millions on a replacement CB, which can then be spent elsewhere.

Yeah totally agree, been here long enough now it's time to find out if he's good enough or not. If we don't look good enough in our first few games I'm sure it won't be down to just playing Benkovic. I think he looks perfect, cool in possession, can pick out a pass and can finish when he gets forward and his height will help. Just hope he can stay injury free. 

• Like 1