Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HesNotGudjonsonn2

Ricardo on the wing

2 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I can give you three for starters.

1. Riccardo is a full back, not a winger, the position and way a full back receives the ball and has the whole game and most importantly space in front of them is entirely different to how a winger receives it. It's not a case of simply throwing him further forward and he'll be as effective.

2. Riccardo is 27 and has played full back all his days, asking a 27 year old to try and change position all the while coming back from pretty much the most serious injury you can get in football is daft and highly unlikely to work.

3. The winger you need on that side as a left footed player who'll cut in and play almost like an inside forward. This is for two reasons; firstly as Barnes is a right footed left winger you need the mirror image on the other side to provide balance. Secondly, it must be a left footed right winger to allow Riccardo to be effective and bomb on and provide the width. If you have Riccardo and a right footed winger the right footed winger will naturally go on the outside and block off the exact space Riccardo tends to do all his good work on. The same applies for Justin if you swap roles and play Riccardo at right wing as you suggest.

I could go on.

I believe he was a winger that was converted to a full back! Might be wrong about that though!

2 minutes ago, teblin said:

I believe he was a winger that was converted to a full back! Might be wrong about that though!

Even more reason then not to try and tinker with that again. You've got one of the best RB's around, leave him to be a top class RB. The winger problem is one that should be addressed in it's own right.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

1. Riccardo is a full back, not a winger, the position and way a full back receives the ball and has the whole game and most importantly space in front of them is entirely different to how a winger receives it. It's not a case of simply throwing him further forward and he'll be as effective.

2. Riccardo is 27 and has played full back all his days, asking a 27 year old to try and change position all the while coming back from pretty much the most serious injury you can get in football is daft and highly unlikely to work.

3. The winger you need on that side as a left footed player who'll cut in and play almost like an inside forward. This is for two reasons; firstly as Barnes is a right footed left winger you need the mirror image on the other side to provide balance. Secondly, it must be a left footed right winger to allow Riccardo to be effective and bomb on and provide the width. If you have Riccardo and a right footed winger the right footed winger will naturally go on the outside and block off the exact space Riccardo tends to do all his good work on. The same applies for Justin if you swap roles and play Riccardo at right wing as you suggest.

I could go on.

I think #3 is spot on. We have a serious dearth of left-footed forwards.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I could go on.

Lisbon-born Pereira was a striker from the age of seven to 10 years old at Benfica but after joining rivals Sporting, until his release aged 16, he played as a right midfielder or winger. He was picked up by Vitoria Guimaraes and, at 19, cemented his place in club folklore by scoring the winner against Benfica as Guimarães won their first and only Portuguese Cup final.

“I played my first season at Vitoria Guimaraes as a professional and I got moved to right-back sometimes in games if we were losing and we put on another winger,” Pereira tells The Athletic. “It wasn’t my game. At the beginning, I just wanted to play and the team was losing so we had to take more risks in the game.”

His display clinched a move to Porto but he played only 21 times over two seasons, switching between a winger and a right-back until Claude Puel took him on loan to Nice in France, where he was used predominantly as a defender, even having a stint at left-back.

“I knew before I went there it was to play right-back and I wasn’t happy at Porto because I didn’t play a lot. The most important thing was to just play,” Pereira adds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HankMarvin said:

Lisbon-born Pereira was a striker from the age of seven to 10 years old at Benfica but after joining rivals Sporting, until his release aged 16, he played as a right midfielder or winger. He was picked up by Vitoria Guimaraes and, at 19, cemented his place in club folklore by scoring the winner against Benfica as Guimarães won their first and only Portuguese Cup final.

“I played my first season at Vitoria Guimaraes as a professional and I got moved to right-back sometimes in games if we were losing and we put on another winger,” Pereira tells The Athletic. “It wasn’t my game. At the beginning, I just wanted to play and the team was losing so we had to take more risks in the game.”

His display clinched a move to Porto but he played only 21 times over two seasons, switching between a winger and a right-back until Claude Puel took him on loan to Nice in France, where he was used predominantly as a defender, even having a stint at left-back.

“I knew before I went there it was to play right-back and I wasn’t happy at Porto because I didn’t play a lot. The most important thing was to just play,” Pereira adds.

All the more reason to not push him forward then, obviously found his position at full back and he's exceedingly good there. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Just now, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Come on people aren't being even half way serious here about playing Riccardo further up on the right and expecting him to play as an inverted winger on his weaker side lol

No body is suggesting he has to play as an inverted winger except you, but he can certainly do a better job than most of the RM options the club currently have.

I certainly wouldn't be adverse to seeing him in that position over the likes of Gray and Albrighton.

• Like 3

Just now, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Ok so what you are suggesting then is to sacrifice one of the best full back's in the world and try and play him as a winger. Still makes next to no sense to me.

This may be totally out of left field but you could always try and sign a winger and maybe leave the world class full back as a full back. Crazy thinking I know!

"I certainly wouldn't be adverse to seeing him in that position over the likes of Gray and Albrighton."

That means as 2nd choice behind Perez, I'm not in charge of the club. The ideal scenario would be to buy a decent winger. But maybe BR feels like he needs to back his 30m player more than 1 season before its deemed as a failure.

Just now, HankMarvin said:

"I certainly wouldn't be adverse to seeing him in that position over the likes of Gray and Albrighton."

That means as 2nd choice behind Perez, I'm not in charge of the club. The ideal scenario would be to buy a decent winger. But maybe BR feels like he needs to back his 30m player more than 1 season before its deemed as a failure.

After reading this suggestion thank god! What's next, Vardy at left back?

Perez also doesn't have to exclusively play RW either you know, it's not his best position.

36 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

After reading this suggestion thank god! What's next, Vardy at left back?

also doesn't have to exclusively play RW either you know, it's not his best position.

What suggestion are you reading exactly? 

Apart from your own about having him as an inverted winger

Thank you for pointing out "Perez doesn't exclusively play RW" I was referring to the RM position that he started 18 of his 26 starts in.

Not sure why you keep referring to RW when the club barely started a game with that formation,

I said Right Midfield options the club currently have, like RP played for a game earlier in the Season.

Crazy I know.

Edited by HankMarvin

4 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Thank you for pointing out "Perez doesn't exclusively play RW" I was referring to the RM position that he started 18 of his 26 starts in.

Not sure why you keep referring to RW when the club barely started a game with that formation,

I said Right Midfield options the club currently have, like RP played for a game earlier in the Season.

Yeah a position that he was by and large garbage in. A RM to me is someone that plays right side of midfield in a 4-4-2 which you guys most definitely did not play.

Anyway we are digressing, the point is, don't ruin one of the best full backs in the world by trying to turn him into a winger please.

5 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Yeah a position that he was by and large garbage in. A RM to me is someone that plays right side of midfield in a 4-4-2 which you guys most definitely did not play.

Anyway we are digressing, the point is, don't ruin one of the best full backs in the world by trying to turn him into a winger please.

This wouldn’t ruin Ricardo Pereira, we’ve played him higher up the pitch plenty of times and he’s been brilliant. Calm down, man. 😂