Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

I Was There!

Guest Markyblue
18 minutes ago, teblin said:

What a night that was. Remember my dads car having a flat after but we didn’t care!

It was at a time when we were proper fans. 7500 away mid week in the pouring rain for a two bob made up cup, now losing at the champions away induces hysteria. 

1990/91 Last game of the season at home to Oxford United and Tony James scores the goal that kept us from slipping into the 3rd tier of English football for the first time. Nerve racking waiting at the end for the result from Eastville to hear that the baggies had lost, and we stayed up.

36 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

It was at a time when we were proper fans. 7500 away mid week in the pouring rain for a two bob made up cup, now losing at the champions away induces hysteria. 

I was there too. Had forgotten it went to extra time! Seems absurd now that such a game would generate that much passion and interest. It's symbolic of why I'll always have a big soft spot for Brian Little. He was the manager who triggered the club's renaissance. Crowds doubled and a feel good factor returned. The fact he had us fighting at the top end of what's now the Championship with players like Paul Fitzpatrick and Gary Coatsworth shows just what a good manager he was. Shame that he left in the way he did but Villa is his club so I'll forgive him now, even if it rankled at the time!

Edited by Sunbury Fox

12 hours ago, ceredigion said:

Fair play to you then. Did you get a match programme?

No. I had the flu, sat all by myself in the directors box and watched a truely awful game.  I understand there was one other City fan there as well but don't know who is was. The other people appeared to be officals from Leicester, Burton and the FA.

I did see Bert Millichip a couple of years later at West Brom and thanked him again for taking me in. Nice man.

Just remembered the 2003 friendly against Barcelona. Still reckon Ronaldinho is probably the best player (not necessarily that particular performance, mind) I have had the pleasure of seeing live.

I remember being a kid and being disappointed in the beige kit being worn instead of the iconic blue and maroon FCB usually wear although it would have obviously clashed with our own kit. :D

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/JE3B55/ronaldinho-fc-barcelona-walkers-stadium-leicester-england-08-august-JE3B55.jpg

I seem to remember Leicester playing an American side called Tulsa Roughnecks at Filbert Street sometime around 1979/80. I can't remember why the game took place but there must have been a reason.Does anyone else remember it?

Other strange ''I was there'' matches which occur to me are as follows.

3 FA Cup replays between Arsenal and Sheffield Wednesday with were played over the space of about 9 days in January 1979 at Filbert Street. No penalty shoot outs in those days so if the game ended in a draw it just went to another replay until the a winner emerged. These 3 games were all great games by the way , ending 2-2, 3-3 and then eventually 2-0 to Arsenal. I went to all three and Filbert Street was completely packed out each time. This was in the middle of the Winter of Discontent when much of the country lay under huge snow drifts and the games were played at Leicester because we had our orange bubble which protected the entire pitch.

City v West Brom in the Anglo-Italian Cup in 1993. The match kicked off around 5.45 pm on a midweek evening because the floodlights still weren't working following the building of the Carling Stand.

And finally I seem to remember going to watch a ridiculous event at Welford Road when City played the Tigers with the first half consisting of 40 minutes of Ruby Union and the second half 45 minutes of Association Football. God knows what it was all about but it would have been the spring/summer of 1986 or 87. I recall ending up at the Bricklayers Arms afterwards. Don't ask me what the score was though. Does anyone else remember that?

I forgot to add.

Southampton at home in the 1st Division October 1983 when the match was abandoned in the 2nd half after rainfall of Biblical proportions. MOTD used the footage of Steve Lynex swimming through an enormous puddle on the pitch for a year or 2 afterwards on the opening credits. The footage is on You Tube if anyone cares to look.