Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

I Was There!

4 hours ago, SexyGammonFox said:

Sitting in the home end at pride park, directly behind the goal that we scored 4 goals in 20 minutes in, with the Derby fans, watching them throw their season tickets on the pitch. Epic meltdown scenes.

There were 3 of us also  in the home end that great day, just to the right of the goal, 2nd row 

• Like 1

Boro in 2013 on that mad, snowy Friday night. 8,000 of us loyals as the rest of you lazy part-time Pete's stayed at home to watch it on TV...

Short walk for me from my house to the ground but the roads were completely jammed from Narborough Rd up to outside the ground. Mayhem. Always remember how freezing it was in tehe ground with barely any fans in it, and the fact it was quite an important game, think Boro were doing well with us at the top end of the table, as well.

Edited by Footballwipe

Huddersfield 0-2 April 2014 City on the march to promotion to PL. Procession of Cyclists entering the stadium before kickoff. Potentially ugly scenes at the end when seemingly the whole stand to our right suddenly emptied and home fans made for the end where City fans were standing. Needn’t have worried! The home fans stood on the pitch facing us - and applauded! My only concern was our own fans rushing down to the front and taking me with them. Not what you want at my age! This explains why ever since I have sat (very quietly) with home fans - at Burnley (just up the road from Preston, where I lived), and Bolton - yes, the night we lifted the Championship! Incidentally, that night, arriving early,  I just missed the players getting off the coach, but did catch Top’s brother (?)  I asked him if he was the Chairman, jokingly. I thanked him and his family, at length, for what they were doing for our club. He was very gracious, listened, smiled and then asked if I would mind repeating what I had said - for the camera. He said it would be broadcast on Thai TV! Not sure if it ever was..

Rather further back in time: I was there when an away (Spurs?) supporter fell through the skylight in the Popular stand. Anyone else remember this?

20 hours ago, davieG said:

This just popped up on my Facebook page.

125964943_10221238679894777_3747723687491150883_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=2&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=14DBdz7gMisAX-cfz9T&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=30b0bde36ade9a3bd2ee60de97efa347&oe=5FD9F5BD

More details here - https://www.11v11.com/matches/leicester-city-v-west-ham-united-27-august-1966-78885/ and here - https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/history/browse/?season=1966

I was there, first Home Match after the '66 World Cup the WHU team include Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst, Martin Peters, and with Gordan Banks paraded the World Cup before KO.

Have you got an 'I Was There' LCFC event that was particularly memorable?

My own Childhood Bread n Butter years at filbert street...from apron strings,to Cheeky runts Finding ways to get in the Double decker, or sides of the mainstand.

This game I Met One of my teachers, & got a seat at the front of the Double decke, also a rarity in actually seeing a "Doug" goal..!!

I was too small in the kop or Even East stand, & in the D.Decker the fans always stood up at the Kop end at corners or when City got into the Penalty box...

If you were Not in the First Front 3 rows,you could easily Miss the 6 yard box goal action...!!

Sinclair/Roberts/Dougan/ Stringfellow/Gibson/Goodfellow...what a Front 6..!!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2

Guest Markyblue
2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

High spirits, alcohol and a constant barrage from the Swindon Boys alongside giving it the big 'un. 

But mostly alcohol. 

Yes i remember it spilled into their section.  Times have changed indeed. 

A number spring to mind,  away trips to Luton (4-1) and QPR (2-0) in the cup run of 1974 when I was just 13.  The 3 goalkeepers 5-2 cup tie against Shrewsbury, madness.  The 7 Wembley appearances of the 90's especially the loss against Swindon,  the emotion when Steve Thompson netted the third was off the scale.  Ther whole of the 2015/16 season (well at least all the home games)  Both last 16 matches against Seville (including my only oversea's trip). 

Last but not least the win at Anfield in 1981 that broke Liverpools record run of 63 consective home matches without defeat,  shame I can't be there Sunday to see us repaet the feat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, squarez said:

The 9-0 last season and the infamous waterlogged 0-2 victory against Portsmouth in 2002. Pompey fans still fume at me that the game wasn't called off to this day.

Yes, I live on the coast. How could you tell?

Was that the FA cup game when their goalkeeper aquaplaned outside the penalty area , got the ball and got sent off?😂

On 17/11/2020 at 20:15, Izzy said:

Tony James v Oxford. My one and only time on the hallowed turf.

Yep. This was pretty much it. Hooked in to being a City fan from those moments versus Oxford... Although was up in the eaves so didn't get on the pitch. What a journey so far from there!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Home and away to Atletico Madrid in 1997. Will never forget Marshall's goal, the bus trip, or the shocking refereeing.

Felt sorry for you poor buggers who took the bus while we let the plane take the strain :D

I'd love to know the official number of Leicester fans who made the trip. It felt like about 10,000 but I'm sure the true figure is more like 4,000. 

An amazing trip and the only time I've slept with 7 other blokes in the same hotel room lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zealot said:

Yep. This was pretty much it. Hooked in to being a City fan from those moments versus Oxford... Although was up in the eaves so didn't get on the pitch. What a journey so far from there!

Yeah, I was half way up the Double-decker and it was a bit of a drop from there. 

I don't comment very often but this thread is very good reading, my personal 'I Was There' moments are

First being at Wembley v Derby, Steve Walsh heroics, ended up in a completely different part of the ground when celebrations died down.

Missed a large chunk through playing after that, but the last 12 years or so have given me plenty to smile about,

Man Utd 5 - 3

Great escape season, going to the last ten games seeing the escape in person, amazing.

Crystal Palace away2015/16, game ended and sang for aaaages afterwards.

Club Bruges away, first champions league game.

Seville home and away, though the away game ticket was given to my daughter for her 18th birthday, I watched it in a bar with the Blue Army.

Southampton away 9-0,...

Plenty more to come hopefully, hope to see you in the ground soon 

• Like 1

On 17/11/2020 at 18:54, davieG said:

This just popped up on my Facebook page.

125964943_10221238679894777_3747723687491150883_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=2&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=14DBdz7gMisAX-cfz9T&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=30b0bde36ade9a3bd2ee60de97efa347&oe=5FD9F5BD

More details here - https://www.11v11.com/matches/leicester-city-v-west-ham-united-27-august-1966-78885/ and here - https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/history/browse/?season=1966

I was there, first Home Match after the '66 World Cup the WHU team include Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst, Martin Peters, and with Gordan Banks paraded the World Cup before KO.

Have you got an 'I Was There' LCFC event that was particularly memorable?

Me Too, the first chance to see the Real Gordon the Great as a world cup winner and what a game that was. Well remember Gordon, Bobby Moore Martin Peters and Geoff Hurst  parading the trophy before the game....a magical day!! What a wonderful time to be an 11 year old English boy...simply Fantastic.

• Like 2

On 18/11/2020 at 17:25, weller54 said:

Was that the FA cup game when their goalkeeper aquaplaned outside the penalty area , got the ball and got sent off?😂

It was a top-of-the-table clash where the ball couldn't even travel five metres along the ground before coming to a complete halt. Killed their passing game and both of our goals were pretty scabby set pieces. :D Me and my family were sat in the home end because at that time the away end at Fratton Park wasn't covered - massive shotuout to those that traveled from the Midlands and got absolutely drenched.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/billy-mckinlay-of-leicester-city-is-sent-flying-by-the-tackle-of-paul-picture-id1598752

(Pompey fans got the last laugh as they ended up getting promoted and we didn't until 2014 - although maybe we got the last, last laugh given where the two clubs are now.)

Edited by squarez

1 hour ago, squarez said:

It was a top-of-the-table clash where the ball couldn't even travel five metres along the ground before coming to a complete halt. Killed their passing game and both of our goals were pretty scabby set pieces. :D Me and my family were sat in the home end because at that time the away end at Fratton Park wasn't covered - massive shotuout to those that traveled from the Midlands and got absolutely drenched.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/billy-mckinlay-of-leicester-city-is-sent-flying-by-the-tackle-of-paul-picture-id1598752

(Pompey fans got the last laugh as they ended up getting promoted and we didn't until 2014 - although maybe we got the last, last laugh given where the two clubs are now.)

I’m pretty sure the 0-2 at Fratten park was when Portsmouth won the league but we still got promoted in 2nd place under Mickey Adams. I remember we went on an end of season football tour to Bogner and met a group of Pompey fans and we spent half the afternoon in a drunken mess chanting “ two nil , in your swimming pool, two nil in your swimming pool!”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, squarez said:

There was also a very wet FA Cup match at Notarf Krap in the mid nineties. I was under cover in the main stand but met up with a mate at half time and he had a papier mache programme in his pocket. We won that one as well, i think Philpott scored the only goal. 

• Like 1

On 19/11/2020 at 09:19, Gordon the Great said:

Me Too, the first chance to see the Real Gordon the Great as a world cup winner and what a game that was. Well remember Gordon, Bobby Moore Martin Peters and Geoff Hurst  parading the trophy before the game....a magical day!! What a wonderful time to be an 11 year old English boy...simply Fantastic.

I was an 11 year old kid too. Great time to be alive. The World Cup,  The Beatles in their pomp, and Doog smashing them in for City! 

Remember the dismay when we sold him that season. Almost as if we were to sell Vardy now. Banks too. 

For the first time I had the feeling that maybe the people in charge didn't know what they were doing. Especially when they sold the brilliant Jackie Sinclair the season after (I think). My favourite player at the time. Great winger with a real eye for goal. I played with his cousin in a team in Manchester for a while. Top bloke who didn’t want to leave, but then, as now, money talks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, squarez said:

We did get promoted that season. We came 2nd.

7 hours ago, Spudulike said:

There was also a very wet FA Cup match at Notarf Krap in the mid nineties. I was under cover in the main stand but met up with a mate at half time and he had a papier mache programme in his pocket. We won that one as well, i think Philpott scored the only goal. 

Roberts scored. My only trip to Fratton Park.