Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

I Was There!

22 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Roberts scored. My only trip to Fratton Park.

10 hours ago, squarez said:

It was a top-of-the-table clash where the ball couldn't even travel five metres along the ground before coming to a complete halt. Killed their passing game and both of our goals were pretty scabby set pieces. :D Me and my family were sat in the home end because at that time the away end at Fratton Park wasn't covered - massive shotuout to those that traveled from the Midlands and got absolutely drenched.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/billy-mckinlay-of-leicester-city-is-sent-flying-by-the-tackle-of-paul-picture-id1598752

(Pompey fans got the last laugh as they ended up getting promoted and we didn't until 2014 - although maybe we got the last, last laugh given where the two clubs are now.)

Wasn't the 2-0 in the rain the PL season after we both got promoted?...a rare away win and a vital one at that as we started to find out feet? .... either way, it was great management from.Micky Adams that day who earned the ref that if he started it, he's to finish it as our tactics were based around the conditions and he didn't want a lead to be scrubbed off. The ref assured him and absurdly stuck to his word in unplayable conditions after we had gone 2-0 up. 

I was at Fratton Park for another absolute drenching, a vital 1-0 midweek win as our game in hand, nudging us into the play off spots with only 4/5 games left. Paul Kerr penalty. Only 500-600 city there.

Honestly feel free to correct me older fans but in my opinion I’ve been there for the highest of the highs and lowest of the lows,

I was at Stoke in 2008 when the club dropped out of the top 2 divisions for the first time in its history and I have to say it felt bloody hopeless. Fortunately Nige came on board and the rest is history

I was also there for Norwich, West Ham, Everton etc during the title winning season but the highest has to be Sevilla at home in the champions league knockout stages. The atmosphere was fuching unbelievable, twinned with the result and also putting Leicester into the last 8 (only remaining English club) of the champions league is something I’ll never forget.

Mad to think they’re less than 9 years apart

Edited by Staffs Fox
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, squarez said:

It was a top-of-the-table clash where the ball couldn't even travel five metres along the ground before coming to a complete halt. Killed their passing game and both of our goals were pretty scabby set pieces. :D Me and my family were sat in the home end because at that time the away end at Fratton Park wasn't covered - massive shotuout to those that traveled from the Midlands and got absolutely drenched.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/billy-mckinlay-of-leicester-city-is-sent-flying-by-the-tackle-of-paul-picture-id1598752

(Pompey fans got the last laugh as they ended up getting promoted and we didn't until 2014 - although maybe we got the last, last laugh given where the two clubs are now.)

My 1st away game that was. I'm sure it was the 02/03 season in the championship though, we finished 2nd and Portsmouth went up as champions. Harry Redknapp threw a tantrum after the game sating it should have never been played. Never seen rain like it in all fairness

On 17/11/2020 at 20:32, onekeithweller said:

My first "I was there" game. Great memories of the whole day. Joyous pitch invasion. More akin to a home game than an away. Champions!!! 

Portsmouth-v-Leicester-City-1970-71.jpg

This one was just before my time but sounds similar to Orient away in 1980 for which I was there. Champions again!

• Like 1

Guest StevieLynex
On 17/11/2020 at 22:07, Foxxed said:

I had no idea the sports mercury was that old. I remember going down to the shops, decades later, early sunday morning to buy it to see the results. Seems crazy to think it had been going for so long.

I used to queue up to buy it at the newsagents at around six o'clock on the Saturday, an hour or so after the match had finished

Couple from the 70s with a similar theme.

Leicester v Villa 1976 2-2: the infamous Chris Nicholl scored all four goals (although I swear Bob Lee’s effort was going in - I was at the other end of the ground in fairness)

Luton v Leicester 1975 3-0: we had tanked them 0-4 the previous season’s FA Cup with Weller scoring a cracker. It felt real party time in the away end pre-game as we looked for a repeat.  Well Weller scored another cracker ..... for Luton🙁.  We forgave him as he was a class act and will always remain one of my all time favourites 

Guest StevieLynex
40 minutes ago, zorro en españa said:

Couple from the 70s with a similar theme.

Leicester v Villa 1976 2-2: the infamous Chris Nicholl scored all four goals (although I swear Bob Lee’s effort was going in - I was at the other end of the ground in fairness)

Luton v Leicester 1975 3-0: we had tanked them 0-4 the previous season’s FA Cup with Weller scoring a cracker. It felt real party time in the away end pre-game as we looked for a repeat.  Well Weller scored another cracker ..... for Luton🙁.  We forgave him as he was a class act and will always remain one of my all time favourites 

5 hours ago, StevieLynex said:

I used to queue up to buy it at the newsagents at around six o'clock on the Saturday, an hour or so after the match had finished

I was trying to remember when I bought it actually. I think they did have a release on Saturday evening. It always seemed incredibly quick to print. I’d catch up on all the local sport too unlike now. Feels strange now, having instant updates on websites. It’s better now but I have good memories of patiently waiting for it and actually buying it, rather than getting it for free and having ads thrown at my face every second with the odd virus. I feel like my graddad now. I’ll start reminiscing about ceefax next.

4 hours ago, Corky said:

Ipswich at home in 2012. Not remembered too much really but the first time we'd scored 6 in a league match for over 25 years I believe.

Good call. I was going through a really tough time personally and that win lit up a very bleak time of my life. I was only able to go last minute and ended up doing 6 Poznańs in K block. Leicester definitely made me happy in those 2 hours when skys were grey.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ceredigion said:

I was there at that one. My clothes are still a little damp to this day.

I was working on the bins at the time and made myself a bin bag suit. I was still absolutely drenched and didnt care a jot. The 2 celebrations were absolute bedlam and you had to be there because the atmosphere was very special as a whole generation of fans smelt a modicum of success for the very first time. ZDS Northern Division Semi Final I think it was.

Edited by Crazy Kop Corner
  • Like 2

I'm not quite old enough to remember this but what a fantastic occasion it must have been to see four of the World Cup winning players, including our own Gordon Banks, parading the Jules Rimet trophy around Filbert Street so soon after winning it.

I notice from the date on the 'Buff' that it was only 4 weeks after the World Cup final and this was our third league match of the season. Not much time for a pre-season. Clubs today are moaning about too many matches and pampering to players who don't know how lucky they are. Pitches, equipment, facilities, healthcare, etc. And of course there's the obscene money that so many average players are able to earn, setting them up for life, unlike most of our our World Cup winning heroes. 

On 17/11/2020 at 18:54, davieG said:

This just popped up on my Facebook page.

125964943_10221238679894777_3747723687491150883_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=2&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=14DBdz7gMisAX-cfz9T&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=30b0bde36ade9a3bd2ee60de97efa347&oe=5FD9F5BD

More details here - https://www.11v11.com/matches/leicester-city-v-west-ham-united-27-august-1966-78885/ and here - https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/history/browse/?season=1966

I was there, first Home Match after the '66 World Cup the WHU team include Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst, Martin Peters, and with Gordan Banks paraded the World Cup before KO.

Have you got an 'I Was There' LCFC event that was particularly memorable?

On 19/11/2020 at 09:19, Gordon the Great said:

Me Too, the first chance to see the Real Gordon the Great as a world cup winner and what a game that was. Well remember Gordon, Bobby Moore Martin Peters and Geoff Hurst  parading the trophy before the game....a magical day!! What a wonderful time to be an 11 year old English boy...simply Fantastic.

On 20/11/2020 at 11:45, Stoopid said:

I was an 11 year old kid too. Great time to be alive. The World Cup,  The Beatles in their pomp, and Doog smashing them in for City! 

Remember the dismay when we sold him that season. Almost as if we were to sell Vardy now. Banks too. 

For the first time I had the feeling that maybe the people in charge didn't know what they were doing. Especially when they sold the brilliant Jackie Sinclair the season after (I think). My favourite player at the time. Great winger with a real eye for goal. I played with his cousin in a team in Manchester for a while. Top bloke who didn’t want to leave, but then, as now, money talks.

• Like 2

I was there

Fulham away in April 1983. It was still 3 up 3 down in those days, no play-offs and with 3 or 4 games left it was a two horse race between us and Fulham to claim the last promotion place. It was a lovely spring afternoon and we took about 10,000 away supporters to the game. We won 1-0 with Ian Wilson scoring late in the 2nd half in front of the packed away end and it was the crucial result that season.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ceredigion said:

I was there

Fulham away in April 1983. It was still 3 up 3 down in those days, no play-offs and with 3 or 4 games left it was a two horse race between us and Fulham to claim the last promotion place. It was a lovely spring afternoon and we took about 10,000 away supporters to the game. We won 1-0 with Ian Wilson scoring late in the 2nd half in front of the packed away end and it was the crucial result that season.

Yes 3 points for a win had only recently been brought in and so this was one of the first 6 pointers. Scrappy game if I remember rightly and I was right in line with Ian Wilson’s shot which seemed to bobble in past the diving Gerry Peyton. Huge celebrations after the game and a mini riot with Chelsea on the road outside.

6 minutes ago, Chicago Foxile said:

This was a special night and the atmosphere was electric- City v Cambridge at Filbo back in 1992, play off semi final second leg.  The beginning of a magical period of ups and downs- seven Wembley trips in nine years followed this night

Yes I was in the double decker and thought it was going to collapse when the 3rd went in and we knew we were going to Wembley for the first time in 23 years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chicago Foxile said:

This was a special night and the atmosphere was electric- City v Cambridge at Filbo back in 1992, play off semi final second leg.  The beginning of a magical period of ups and downs- seven Wembley trips in nine years followed this night

The best match of the Brian Little era after the Derby game at Wembley. Some real cult heroes on the pitch that night. And a nice reminder of the days when footballers had National Service style haircuts and weren't covered head to foot in tattoos.

1 hour ago, Chicago Foxile said:

On 20/11/2020 at 11:45, Stoopid said:

I was an 11 year old kid too. Great time to be alive. The World Cup,  The Beatles in their pomp, and Doog smashing them in for City! 

Remember the dismay when we sold him that season. Almost as if we were to sell Vardy now. Banks too. 

For the first time I had the feeling that maybe the people in charge didn't know what they were doing. Especially when they sold the brilliant Jackie Sinclair the season after (I think). My favourite player at the time. Great winger with a real eye for goal. I played with his cousin in a team in Manchester for a while. Top bloke who didn’t want to leave, but then, as now, money talks.

Exactly right, all the stars were aligned in the Sixties Everything English twinkled Gold, I truly believe our generation are the luckiest ever, would not swap where and when I was born for anything.

What players they were, Some of the finest in the clubs history, Bobby Roberts of the thunderous shot.....The Doog of the hammer forehead. and the fantastic Gibbo of the left foot wand..............the Right wasn't too bad either!...Crossy, the tank, of the thunderous tackle and these were regarded as average 1st Division players alongside people like George Best, Charlton. Law ,Moore and countless others, wonderful, wonderful times.

Saw my first game aged 4 in December 1959....... Which T thought was against a team beginning with "B" but having looked in Fossils and Foxes they played Preston and West Ham at home that month so I`m wrong somewhere but hey... so 61 years a City fan!...........Thanks Dad!

• Like 1

Guest StevieLynex
20 hours ago, Crazy Kop Corner said:

Yes 3 points for a win had only recently been brought in and so this was one of the first 6 pointers. Scrappy game if I remember rightly and I was right in line with Ian Wilson’s shot which seemed to bobble in past the diving Gerry Peyton. Huge celebrations after the game and a mini riot with Chelsea on the road outside.

Gordon Davies had a goal disallowed - ball goes in the net, huge roar from the home crowd..saved by the linesman's flag

Guest StevieLynex
1 hour ago, StevieLynex said:

Gordon Davies had a goal disallowed - ball goes in the net, huge roar from the home crowd..saved by the linesman's flag

Kevin Mac played alongside John O'Neill at the back

22 hours ago, Chicago Foxile said:

Always remember that John Beck had Cambridge playing an ultra long ball style and  when we had the game safe there was a mass chant around Filbo, "We play football, we play football."